Pitch shots

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has a nightmare when faced with shots into the green from 90 yards and in.

Played today and had one or two howlers where it seems I shank the ball. not sure if it's hand/arm tension or just basic technique.
It's now got to the point where I opt for long distance chip and runs due to total lack of confidence on pitching.

Anyone got any good drills, advice or recommended videos please?

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
don’t know your club path but just hit it out the toe for now.

(Ain’t a coach but I’ve had the shanks, got the toes at the minute)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Big advocate of the linear method as taught by Gary Smith (England coach and GM top 25 coach). Simple pitch here but action can be used for longer pitches too

I did a mid handicap demonstration so as you can see if an idiot like me can use it then it must be simple to use. Very strange set up initially that takes some getting use to especially the lightness of grip and hand position but well worth a go if you're struggling. I find using this method and the bounce this way gives me a margin on error and I can hit it slightly fat or thin and get away with it and good off wet turf

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
90 yds will be a full shot with a lofted club for most people, or close.

So the question becomes - what are you doing differently when faced with such shots that's causing you the problem.

Best video would be the one you take of yourself making 90 yd shots - and post it here.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
He's not everyone's cup of tea, but I like his no-nonsense common sense approach. Check out Monte Scheinblum -

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Get hold of a copy of 'Dave peltzs short game Bible' you will be a expert in no time!
A good book but a rather mechanical format that some will rigid. I have read the book and tried the method and it has some merits but I struggled especially the 7.30 swing. I found I learned to control distances with more freedom. That's just my methodology which is perhaps why I was drawn to the linear method

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does that come from anxiety and fear of the duff. Been there big time so the linear method has really helped and gives a big margin of error

The hitting too hard comes from trying to maximise spin even when I know that a good strike will generate enough any way.

The looking up too early affects many parts of my game not just chips and pitches it is something I have had to fight for a long time, particularly when putting where it causes a push.

Funny thing is I had never hit a shank in my life until I got older and tried to change my natural shot from a fade to a draw to maintain distance.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lots of good advice here OP but if you’re inclined why not get a lesson on your wedges? A pro might be able to shed some light.

It sounds like you’re having strike issues, probably related to the angle you’re contacting the ball at, which is magnified by wedge play. A pro might be able to set you on the right path pretty quickly (as in don’t fear a complete rebuild, and if that’s not what you want explain that to him!)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The hitting too hard comes from trying to maximise spin even when I know that a good strike will generate enough any way.

The looking up too early affects many parts of my game not just chips and pitches it is something I have had to fight for a long time, particularly when putting where it causes a push.

Funny thing is I had never hit a shank in my life until I got older and tried to change my natural shot from a fade to a draw to maintain distance.

One of the main aspects (and to a degree its main limitation) with the linear method is that its more of a running shot and there is less emphasis on trying to impact spin. You can still play the high lofted shot and the spinning one with a slight tweak but for a stock shot it's a case of picking the right club to land on the green and run out. Conversely, trying not to be too hung up on spin and using the bounce and the shallow linear method both promote better contact with more margin for error and a good strike as you say will generate sufficient spin. As I said in my initial post, it's a bit left field, certainly in terms of set up etc and takes some getting use to, but as an option on morning on a range/at the practice ground it's definitely worth a brief look and go at. Plenty of resources online to help show you what to do

brainstewart26

Visit site
A 30- or 40-yard pitch shot occupies an awkward middle ground for a lot of players, literally and figuratively. You have a variety of choices in terms of trajectory, and this can be confusing. You're hitting the ball in the air more than you would for a chip, but you don't use a full swing. That can produce mismatched swing mechanics.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the main aspects (and to a degree its main limitation) with the linear method is that its more of a running shot and there is less emphasis on trying to impact spin. You can still play the high lofted shot and the spinning one with a slight tweak but for a stock shot it's a case of picking the right club to land on the green and run out. Conversely, trying not to be too hung up on spin and using the bounce and the shallow linear method both promote better contact with more margin for error and a good strike as you say will generate sufficient spin. As I said in my initial post, it's a bit left field, certainly in terms of set up etc and takes some getting use to, but as an option on morning on a range/at the practice ground it's definitely worth a brief look and go at. Plenty of resources online to help show you what to do

I am not saying I would not work on a new technique if I felt I really needed it but I am getting too old to spend hours on a practice area to learn new techniques whereas in the past I have literally hit hundreds of thousands of balls trying different methods to find out what works and what does not work. I vary my technique to suit the shot and and do not go with just one method or club.

My short game is the one area that has kept me in single figures/ there abouts, although no longer practicing means it is nowhere near as good as it used to be.

What would help me the most is a new pair of eyes and a new pair of legs because that is the main reason that I no longer make good contact.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
A 30- or 40-yard pitch shot occupies an awkward middle ground for a lot of players, literally and figuratively. You have a variety of choices in terms of trajectory, and this can be confusing. You're hitting the ball in the air more than you would for a chip, but you don't use a full swing. That can produce mismatched swing mechanics.
Good summary

D

Deleted member 25172

Tell me about it. I couldn't hit a 40-70 yards wedge properly if so my life depended on it if I want the ball up in the air.

There's only 2 scenarios for me when I pick up the 60 degree wedge.

A: Super thin, blasting it past the green.

B: Super fat, with my divot going longer than the ball.

From now on I'm just gonna grab the pitching wedge or lower and bump and run it until I've found a cure for the above.

Last edited by a moderator:

popeye

Hacker
Visit site
Learning how to hit different length swings is the best thing you can do for that-once you can do that consistently with different wedges then you just need to spend a bit of time working it how far your ball goes for different swings with different wedges-don't be too concerned about spin-that will sort it's self out ..