Ping Valor

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Anyone using one of these? They are from the Sigma range. I was playing round in American Golf on Saturday and whilst it is a big lad the exaggerted line on the putter head made it very easy for me to take it back and hit through. I sank putt after putt and that obviously makes you sit up. What I don't know is what it is like on longer putts, on real greens. Will it feel cumbersome, hard to control pace? It is not the prettiest but I can live with that if I hole more putts.

Happy to hear people's views on their experiences of this one.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Anyone using one of these? They are from the Sigma range. I was playing round in American Golf on Saturday and whilst it is a big lad the exaggerted line on the putter head made it very easy for me to take it back and hit through. I sank putt after putt and that obviously makes you sit up. What I don't know is what it is like on longer putts, on real greens. Will it feel cumbersome, hard to control pace? It is not the prettiest but I can live with that if I hole more putts.

Happy to hear people's views on their experiences of this one.
Don't know about this putter specifically but are you saying that because it's heavy? I have a quite heavy putter and I feel that helps from distance, I usually judge pace really well with it because you don't have to force it and 'hit' the ball, you just let it swing through and the weight gets it there.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have been using a stablemate the Ping Wolverine. It isn't a heavy putter you can definitely feel the head go back and through. Very stable and a nice grip that sat well in my hand. I think the Valor comes in at 365g compared to the Wolverine at 370g. Both look a little busy but I soon got over the looks and found it functional. In fact I only changed on a whim when our greens were running over 10 for the Jamega tour but I have used it at places like West Hill and Hankley Common where the greens can be lively

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't know about this putter specifically but are you saying that because it's heavy? I have a quite heavy putter and I feel that helps from distance, I usually judge pace really well with it because you don't have to force it and 'hit' the ball, you just let it swing through and the weight gets it there.
Yes, that is what I was worried about. Would I lose control over long distances because the weight was too much? Interesting point you make (y)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have been using a stablemate the Ping Wolverine. It isn't a heavy putter you can definitely feel the head go back and through. Very stable and a nice grip that sat well in my hand. I think the Valor comes in at 365g compared to the Wolverine at 370g. Both look a little busy but I soon got over the looks and found it functional. In fact I only changed on a whim when our greens were running over 10 for the Jamega tour but I have used it at places like West Hill and Hankley Common where the greens can be lively
Thanks. The Wolverine & Valor are very similar in most ways, aesthetics being the main difference. I thought the Valor was a little cleaner, less busy, but you could make a case the other way and I would not argue againt it. Good comments, cheers.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don’t have that one but I did the same thing. Was in AG one day and played about with putters. Got one that just felt ‘right’. Bought it online the next day and haven’t looked back. It was a Wilson putter and wasn’t an expensive or flashy one. But it felt good and that was the most important thing. Now of course I don’t hole every putt but the putter feels good in my hands, and especially through the stroke. That’s made a world of difference to me.

So maybe you’ve just found the attributes in a putter that suit you.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I don’t have that one but I did the same thing. Was in AG one day and played about with putters. Got one that just felt ‘right’. Bought it online the next day and haven’t looked back. It was a Wilson putter and wasn’t an expensive or flashy one. But it felt good and that was the most important thing. Now of course I don’t hole every putt but the putter feels good in my hands, and especially through the stroke. That’s made a world of difference to me.

So maybe you’ve just found the attributes in a putter that suit you.
You make a good point. Putting is so subjective and like you can easily peruse the shelves at an AG. Silvermere Golf Centre is the worse for me (in Surrey) as they have all the latest Ping, Scotty, Odyssey ranges plus a host of other brands and it can be dangerous for me to go near those racks. Funny how some putters just feel wrong when you pick them up and therefore never seem to sit just right on floor and some "feel the one" and you stand over a ball brimming with confidence. If the OP has found a shape that is giving confidence, while he may not make every putt on the course he can stand there with more belief. I think confidence breeds confidence and so if he can get a few to drop with a new putter he'll feel good and give more and more putts a good run at the hole