Ping Sigma 2 Putters

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
New range of putters from Ping come with an adjustable shaft, that ranges from 32" to 36". Could this be something that Scotty Cameron, Cleveland, Odyssey and co all soon follow? I've never seen anything like this before in a putter no idea of the mechanics inside the grip, but it sounds like it could be the way forward!

Adjustable-Length Shaft

The USGA-conforming, adjustable-length shaft is lightweight, easy to use and sleekly concealed beneath the grip, allowing you to customize length between 32" and 36". The process is quick and intuitive, using an adjustment tool that inserts into the top of the grip. One full turn causes approximately a ¼" adjustment, and the grip remains perfectly aligned during adjustment.
Benefits of Self-Fitting

Adjustability allows you to experiment with length between 32" and 36" and ultimately fit yourself to match your stroke and posture for improved consistency. You’re no longer limited to a specific length measurement. You simply adjust it until you’re in a comfortable position, ideally with your eyes directly over the ball or slightly inside.
https://ping.com/clubs/putters/sigma-2

If Cleveland did this I'd certainly be interested!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The one I dislike is the putter that collects the ball out of the hole.

Loads of wrecked holes on courses when the idiots slam the putter in, as opposed to bending down to get the ball out of the cup
I saw that. No idea why they've done it, seems like such a daft gimmick for a big name manufacturer like Ping. Maybe trying to tap into the 'grey' market shall we say, but most of the old boys I've played with have those ball-grabbers on the grip end of their putters anyway.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
The one I dislike is the putter that collects the ball out of the hole.

Loads of wrecked holes on courses when the idiots slam the putter in, as opposed to bending down to get the ball out of the cup

If it were my £200 putter I'd be far more concerned about damaging my £200 putter than some hole that will get changed the following day.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
This wouldn't attract me towards a putter at all.

I personally want a putter to be completely simple. The whole notion of messing about with the length of a putter seems crazy and counter productive. You can so easily doubt yourself when you play poorly and there is always that small voice in your head that convinces you the equipment can help you improve. (for some people this is a loud scream).

In reality the equipment is such a small percentage of your score that you should just get on with it and for the vast majority of handicap golfers, standard off the shelf equipment will be completely gameable with very marginal gains (if any) to be had from fine tuning clubs - assuming you even have the knowledge or capability to fine tune without monitors and equipment and substantial technical know how.

If I was getting fitted clubs, then I'd be going once and getting the exact shaft length that suits me and then never tinker with it again.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
In reality the equipment is such a small percentage of your score that you should just get on with it and for the vast majority of handicap golfers, standard off the shelf equipment will be completely gameable with very marginal gains (if any) to be had from fine tuning clubs - assuming you even have the knowledge or capability to fine tune without monitors and equipment and substantial technical know how.

Yet every single YTer out there tells you to get fitted, me personally I haven't been putter fitted but pretty much every other club in the bag has, why not, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Yet every single YTer out there tells you to get fitted, me personally I haven't been putter fitted but pretty much every other club in the bag has, why not, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

That's true, but it's mostly the response to questions of 'should I get this club, or stick with the other club'

I think there are two elements to the benefits of fitting;

1. yes - there will be a performance benefit in terms of getting clubs to suit your game and physical attributes. For some people this could be substantial, for others marginal or no gain. Also can be very much down to what you do on the day and the skill of the fitter.

2. Confidence. Knowing you have the best club that suits you and your game will help with the mindset, especially following a bad round or a few bad shots.

For me, it's something I will do. I just haven't prioritised it yet and I am happy with my clubs and not planning on replacing anything. I have the odd day with the driver (SLDR) when I'm not happy, but Sunday I hit several really good drives, and even the bad ones were still in play.

I'm still very much of the view that a few hundred spent on lessons will be of greater benefit than a few thousand spent on equipment.

I do have a concern that a fitter is ultimately a retailer and will try and direct things towards 'get these new clubs' rather than 'your clubs are fine and there isn't all that much to be gained from dropping £1,000'. Appreciate this is a generalisation, but i would much rather go to a fitter and pay them for an hour of their time and tell them I am going to buy stuff second hand as I simply don't believe in spending £400 on a driver.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I do have a concern that a fitter is ultimately a retailer and will try and direct things towards 'get these new clubs' rather than 'your clubs are fine and there isn't all that much to be gained from dropping £1,000'. Appreciate this is a generalisation, but i would much rather go to a fitter and pay them for an hour of their time and tell them I am going to buy stuff second hand as I simply don't believe in spending £400 on a driver.

Fair enough, however, I got my irons fitted at a Callaway performance centre that isn't a retailer, so no benefit to them whatsoever, as for my £400 driver, did I need it, no, was I hitting it well with my previous one, yes, was I struggling with length with my previous one, no, did I want a new driver, yes, is it going better than my previous one, yes.

We have different outlook on the same thing, I want to give my self every possible opportunity to score better, you may not see that as a priority, it's all swings and roundabouts I guess.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Great for growing youngsters but not convinced it's needed for the rest of us. Just buy one that fits!

Not a new thing as one of my regular PPs has used an adjustable Ping putter for the past couple of years. He's forever tinkering with it - but in reality is in serious need of a basic putting lesson, a green reading method and a repeatabl e consistent process

Oh and as for using it to retrieve the ball out of the cup - no NO NO!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Fair enough, however, I got my irons fitted at a Callaway performance centre that isn't a retailer, so no benefit to them whatsoever, as for my £400 driver, did I need it, no, was I hitting it well with my previous one, yes, was I struggling with length with my previous one, no, did I want a new driver, yes, is it going better than my previous one, yes.

We have different outlook on the same thing, I want to give my self every possible opportunity to score better, you may not see that as a priority, it's all swings and roundabouts I guess.

I guess it comes down to disposable income. I have other things to spend my money on in terms of kids, house, holidays, other hobbies etc. so the cost / benefit analysis just doesn't stack up for me.

It will one day, but I still think I'd be careful and conscientious about spending obscene amounts of money on equipment that will only be marginally better than the pretty decent stuff I already have.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Absolutely, some spend obscene amounts of money on alcohol per week/month, every one has their vice I guess.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Hopefully the adjustment is "steadier" than the previous. I found getting the grip square again was a right royal PITA.

Just make it adjustable up and down, the whole adjustable section spinning 360 was madness.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Some positive reviews (but when are there ever bad reviews posted? ) and I actually like the concept of adjusting the length. The PP grips (three different types according to the Ping website) are really comfy and sit well in the hand. Not sure about the new insert and definitely something I'll try. Have been dallying with my Anser Cadence blade as well as the much bigger Wolverine and will be starting my tests with those two. Will definitely be giving the Fetch a miss. A putter that gets the ball out of the hole is a gimmick too far and very unlike Ping

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hopefully the adjustment is "steadier" than the previous. I found getting the grip square again was a right royal PITA.

Just make it adjustable up and down, the whole adjustable section spinning 360 was madness.
I had the previous mechanism (in a ketch). After a while it became loose, the pro shop exchanged it foc, but the next one did the same. Ended up getting a fixed length.
It was really useful while it worked - I was fiddling with putting stances, styles etc and it gave me peace of mind that, once I got the fixed one, I had been round the loop enough to have made the right choice.
Not sure about the insert though - mine is solid metal of some description, and I wouldn't swap. Will they be offering other face options with this adjustability?

fowlero

Hacker
Visit site
I thought putters had slightly different head wieghts depending on the shaft length to maintain the same swing weight (I know scotty cameron do this) how do Ping compensate for this with their adjustable length putters :unsure:

D

Deleted member 21258

Quite a good review here :-

Looks like the adjustment mechanism is much better than previous goes(around 6.40 )

Still shocked that they would make a putter to pick the ball out of the hole, going to batter the holes.:eek: