Ping Karsten Anser

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am just back from Noah's Ark driving range in Perth where I got my old Odyssey putter cut down by an inch and regripped.While I was waiting I had a go of a few putters and I ended up really liking the Ping Karsten Anser.What really struck me was the face having no milling or insert at all,just a smooth metal finish,what effect would this have on the ball if any? Discuss if you please,I cant think of another putter with a smooth face!

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've tried the Karsten putter and it was a cracking putter but I didn't think it would be an improvement on my Connemara for the money.

I think we should try a stick to one putter for the rest of the season Deke, you up for it?

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've tried the Karsten putter and it was a cracking putter but I didn't think it would be an improvement on my Connemara for the money.

I think we should try a stick to one putter for the rest of the season Deke, you up for it?

Don't worry Kev,I wasn't wanting to buy it.I am more interested in the effect of a non milled metal face on the ball.I think three putters is quite enough bud! ;-)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Plenty of Pings down the years have had a smooth metal face
had a Darby for years - quality putter.
Some like an insert, some like a milled face, some like a grooved face and some like a smooth face.
In the great scheme of things it doesn't make that much difference, it's a matter fo preference.

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cheers Imurg,the only smooth putters I have ever seen or used are the ones they hand out at old seaside putting greens! I was very impressed with the Ping's performance none the less.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've got an orginal Anser 2 blade. Lovely putter but I prefer the odyssey #9 I've got which I think suits my putting style more. I could groove my putting to get the blade working again but I am happier with what I have and seems to be holing out better in 2012.

Alan

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Deke, Noah's is my local driving range just round the corner from my house. I've got the same Ping putter and I love it. Great putter.

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've got an orginal Anser 2 blade. Lovely putter but I prefer the odyssey #9 I've got which I think suits my putting style more. I could groove my putting to get the blade working again but I am happier with what I have and seems to be holing out better in 2012.

Cheers Homer,there is something rather classy about Ping Ansers!

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Deke, Noah's is my local driving range just round the corner from my house. I've got the same Ping putter and I love it. Great putter.

It's a great range eh? I like how they have proper greens to aim at and proper distances from each bay.It is indeed a lovely putter,if i didn't already have three i might consider buying one! ;-)

Alan

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's a great range eh? I like how they have proper greens to aim at and proper distances from each bay.It is indeed a lovely putter,if i didn't already have three i might consider buying one! ;-)

The range is ok although I don't like the new taylormade yellow balls, you need to make sure you don't go on a windy day as everything goes right, even if you hit it into the wind, I've seen 80mph winds up here. Only three putters you need another you won't regret it, it's perfectly weighted.

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The range is ok although I don't like the new taylormade yellow balls, you need to make sure you don't go on a windy day as everything goes right, even if you hit it into the wind, I've seen 80mph winds up here. Only three putters you need another you won't regret it, it's perfectly weighted.

Fair point,they were getting rather mashed up by my wedges,maybe not the best coating! if you ever fancy a round at Alyth give me a shout,where do you play bud?

Alan

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I play out of Murrayshall, only been playing since November, if you fancy playing with a rookie, I've never played Alyth yet.

A

Alex1975

I think your asking about the finish of the face more than anything with the OP?! The milling marks or inset will not grab the ball in any way or add or remove spin as a finish, that is all down to what you impart on it. Insets and face thicknesses will make a difference but mill marks are not like groves for example.

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think your asking about the finish of the face more than anything with the OP?! The milling marks or inset will not grab the ball in any way or add or remove spin as a finish, that is all down to what you impart on it. Insets and face thicknesses will make a difference but mill marks are not like groves for example.

Cheers Alex,that is exactly what I wanted to know! Is milling only for decoration then?