Ping IBlade for high handicapper?

Mattb0612

Visit site
Hi guys, first post here. I haven’t been playing long but I’m addicted! I got given a set of clubs that have been fine to start with and to be honest still fine now. But! I have seen some ping Iblades and it’s love at first sight! I know there’s a strong argument against high handicappers playing blades but I love the look of them and would relish the challenge of a blade. What are your thoughts? Am I being silly and going out of my depth or just play what you like the look of. Just to mention my clubs I’ve been giving are very thin probably one step down from blades

D

Deleted Member 1156

Are you striking the ball consistently out of the middle of the clubface yet?

D

Deleted member 29109

Go to Ping for a fitting. You can try them all and decide which are the most suitable.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
If you like them, get them.

There's too much emphasis on tech help these days and not enough on enjoying the clubs you play.
Everyone started with blades at one time as that's all there was.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Reading some reviews says the i500 is forged and less forgiving than the iblade. Going on what I’ve read the iblade appears to be very forgiving (for a blade)
Yes they are forged but that has nothing to do with forgiveness. The i500's are hollow headed so they look like blades but internally have plenty of perimeter weighting to make them more forgiving.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am of an age where nearly everybody learnt to play with blade style clubs and it helped to become a good ball striker.

Would I go the same route now given the choice of clubs currently available? Probably not.

If you spend hours and hours on the practice range they will help you to become a good striker but if you just hit a few balls then go out to play I would avoid them .

RichA

Visit site
I shouldn't be posting in the "experts" forum and reposting my own post is in itself questionable, but from a thread in another area...
I had a fitting yesterday.
Tried JPX 921 forged, i210 and G425.
I've ordered the G425. Anything else would have been a victory for ego over common sense, for me.
I love blades and want to be good with them. I've been using tiny 30 year old Mizuno blades for the last couple of weeks. As lovely as they are, they are never going to improve my game.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
If you like them, get them.

There's too much emphasis on tech help these days and not enough on enjoying the clubs you play.
Everyone started with blades at one time as that's all there was.

I normally agree.

I used to have a beautiful set of nike vr pro blades. Looked exquisite. As a cat 2 golfer that couldn't putt, they really made the game less fun. Being punished for every tiny mishit is painful. It's not a slice or a hook, it's if it's not middled you lose 20% plus of the total carry distance.

RichA

Visit site
Unless the mishit is the blade hitting the ball just below the equator, in which case you've just inadvertently discovered your new driver replacement, whilst losing all sensation in your fingers.