Ping G10 range.... a change is afoot, advice needed

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
oh no, another possible club change :)

purchased a 12 degree Ping G10 driver, reg shaft as felt my Nike VR stiff was too much to handle and what a difference. Used it yesterday and no slice, Thought maybe it was a fluke but been up the range today and it really is forgiving and a much better ball flight. Hit 20 or so and they were either straight or slight fade, also better distance wise

Thinking of changing the 3 wood and hybrids (the stiff shafts in the 2 hybrids are deffo too much for me).

Are these of a similar ilk to the driver forgiveness wise? also noticed the G15 stuff tend to be a bit cheaper, is this because they aren't as good as the G10 or just not very popular?

Obviously as these are an older model I can't just go and try some hence asking here

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Do you not think you're a little young for PING :rofl:

Seriously though. Ive Never tried their gear but I know Craw plays PING so maybe worth a PM?

Scottjd1

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I thought you were the orignal Nike fan boy...... tut tut.

I had a G10 and I did like it, to be honest i would advsie you get fitted for a shaft and take it from there, its not just the flext but the weight, the kick point etc etc.

ps looking forward to teeing it up with you at Woburn....

tallpaul

Head Pro
Visit site
Most AG stores will still have some G15 clubs in stock, if not they should be able to get them in from a store that does.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
You'll be safe going for any of the G series. They are the most forgiving of the Ping line up. I'm 25 and would more than happily play all ping clubs. None of this shiny mizzy bollocks for me :)

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
G series is a safe bet. Although my aging G10 fairway wood has just been replaced by G15. I went into the shop to try the G20....they Pro said he'd just traded in some G15s. Took both to the practice ground and hit the 15 miles better and less than half the price of the shiny new ones

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You'll be safe going for any of the G series. They are the most forgiving of the Ping line up. I'm 25 and would more than happily play all ping clubs. None of this shiny mizzy bollocks for me :)

The K series is more forgiving but is only a recent addition to the line up(2 years or so). I have had Ping G15 Driver, 3 wood and 17* hybrid, G10 irons and a rapture v2 hybrid. The Driver and 3 wood were superb and I wish i knew why i sold them. They are forgiving and long but being an idiot I went and brought Taylormade woods to match my irons. As you can see from my signiture I have gone back to Ping woods but this time the K15 driver and 3 wood which are even more forgiving and they will not leave my bag for many years.

The G15 hybrid was an impulse buy from me and going against a lot of peoples opinions it was just wrong in all departments for me. My bad shot is a hook and this thing just screamed hook me of which I obliged every time. I just couldnt hit the thing. The Rapture V2 Hybrid was fantastic and was easily the best hybrid I ever owned. It was just so easy to hit straight and long and was just stupidly forgiving.

I brought my G10 hybrid as another impulse buy and on reviews as I could not test one. It was in brilliant condition but was fitted with the v2 stiff shaft but I only paid £40 for it. I actually get on very well with the shaft and it really is a lovely club to hit.

The G10 irons were a one hit wonder for me. Purchased them at AG after going in the flightscope thingy but in reality they lacked the distance and I wasnt overkeen on the feel off the face compared to the irons I had previously. I personally think they are not a patch on my current Burner 2.0's. I have tried all the old Ping Line up K15, G15, G10, I15 and the ones I got on best with were the I15's, go figure?

Oh Im 26 BTW

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Defo steer clear of the Ping G10 irons, fat ugly shovels

Traded my G10 and very glad i did, overpriced and not as good as other brands for less money, Mizuno, Wilson Staff etc etc

Also they look a bit industrial and dare i say very old fashioned

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've played a lot of Ping stuff and can honstly say the G10 or rapture V2 hybrids are better than what replaced them,the G15 AND 20'S are pure and simple hook machines,great if you slice but otherwise ignore.The I15 and I20 are closer to the G10 hybrids. The G10 and Rapture V2 hybrids are very forgiving,I actually preffered the G10 over the rapture V2. Only played the 3w a little bit (long story short I don't like fairways) and I found it to be nice low profile for shots off the deck. I would gladly go back to a couple of G10 hybrids.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
cheers fella's, deffo food for thought. My irons are staying for the time being, might even keep the 3 wood as I hit that decent off the tee but the hybrids are deffo for replacing

will nip to AG after work and see if I can hit a few, will try other makes also and see what head/shaft combo suits

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
cheers fella's, deffo food for thought. My irons are staying for the time being, might even keep the 3 wood as I hit that decent off the tee but the hybrids are deffo for replacing

will nip to AG after work and see if I can hit a few, will try other makes also and see what head/shaft combo suits

Please don't take this the wrong way but aren't you looking too much at your gear and not your playing ability. I'd invest a few quid in some lessons to get the handicap moving south beofre chopping and changing the clubs. Once you get a degree of consistency then surely it'll be easier to see which clubs really suit, maybe even get a C/F session and go from there

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
lessons already booked Homer, I am just certain that stiff shafts are not for me.

I know my lack of ability but having a bit more forgiveness wouldnt hurt.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Please don't take this the wrong way but aren't you looking too much at your gear and not your playing ability. I'd invest a few quid in some lessons to get the handicap moving south beofre chopping and changing the clubs. Once you get a degree of consistency then surely it'll be easier to see which clubs really suit, maybe even get a C/F session and go from there

lessons already booked Homer, I am just certain that stiff shafts are not for me.

I know my lack of ability but having a bit more forgiveness wouldnt hurt.

If the lessons are booked, then I'd ask the pro for his advice based on watching you hit. He should be able to tell pretty easily if you are suited to stiff or not. Don't be fooled that regular will be forgiving. Too whippy for you and it'l lbe as bad as stiff being too solid. Good luck with the search though

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
yeah, he did have a go at me for changing the titleist 775's for the Nikes and tbh I hit them a lot more consistantly. Oh well live and learn

T

thecraw

oh no, another possible club change :)

purchased a 12 degree Ping G10 driver, reg shaft as felt my Nike VR stiff was too much to handle and what a difference. Used it yesterday and no slice, Thought maybe it was a fluke but been up the range today and it really is forgiving and a much better ball flight. Hit 20 or so and they were either straight or slight fade, also better distance wise

Thinking of changing the 3 wood and hybrids (the stiff shafts in the 2 hybrids are deffo too much for me).

Are these of a similar ilk to the driver forgiveness wise? also noticed the G15 stuff tend to be a bit cheaper, is this because they aren't as good as the G10 or just not very popular?

Obviously as these are an older model I can't just go and try some hence asking here

I think a set of i15 irons would complete the bag and reduce yojur handicap to around about 4. Have a look in the for sale section!