Ping G series woods.

User20204

Visit site
I'm after a 5 wood and really like the low profile of the Ping woods, but I'm not overly keen on paying £200+ for one but on looking around a lot of the recent Ping woods all look very similar with those dragonfly things.

There seems to be G, G5, G30, G400, G410, now I know the latest ones are the 400 and 410 so best bargains should be previous to them, anyone cares to recommend a particular model but not the latest two.

AdamC28

Visit site
The G series sits between the G30 and the G400.
The G is highly regarded and you should be able to pick one up for around £100.

badgb21

Hacker
Visit site
I have a G30 and a G410 Driver. I find the G410 gives better results with the swing variations I have ;) Better distance and left right dispersion.
I also found the slim G400 Hybrids tricky to use on our 'sclaped' bare lie fairways, much better success with Big Bertha 2019 hybrids.

Moral of my little story is you have to try them.
I think Am. Golf still stock the 'G'

Good luck.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have a G series driver which has been very faithful but still have my original G25 which was as forgiving a driver as I've played. If you don't want to shell big bucks you could check second hand places like Golfbidder (who do a 7 day return policy so try it and see and then return if not for you) or Affordable Golf. Still have my G25 3 and 5 woods and can't see those changing anytime soon

As a guide this is the Golfbidder Ping list https://www.golfbidder.co.uk/clubbrand/PI/1/Ping_driver.html

Last edited:

User20204

Visit site
Can you tell me in which order they all came out ? I know from the latest backwards it goes 410/400 but no idea after that.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
G30 - G - G400 - G410

Is the order.

I still have a G series 5 wood which is set at 16.5 and I upgraded the shaft for a lower trajectory/spin. Likewise I need/prefer looking at a shallow face on my fairway woods.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I paid £77 for my Ping G 3 wood on eBay.

Keep an eye out for them, especially this time of year as people sell up before the winter. Always bargains around.

They are great clubs, i wouldnt say they are the longest woods in the world but the profile is lovely and rather forgiving.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I recently bought the G SF Tec 3 wood (so the third newest model, only superseded by G400 and G410). Got it from golfclubs4cash via ebay, it was up for £110 but there was an ebay sale on so I got it for £88. Still early days but I like it so far, really hot face, I've even managed a couple off the deck that went well - a big rarity for me.

If you didn't know, the SF tec or SFT varieties are for those who tend to fade the ball a little too much as they have weight in the heel. So if fading isn't a problem for you then stick to the regular version obviously.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
PS. I think the biggest jump in tech and style was between G30 and G. If you can pick up the G Series at the right price you can't go far wrong.

aha - so that explains a lot about my rubbish golf. Not only are my irons 10yrs old (15yr old technology prob) but my G10 driver and G20 4w are positively ancient - and clearly really not what a SF handicap player should be playing with if he wants to get to 6 next season ;)

Or maybe it's just me.

As it happens I just love my G10 and G20. They are for me probably the most consistently good clubs in my golfing armoury.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
aha - so that explains a lot about my rubbish golf. Not only are my irons 10yrs old (15yr old technology prob) but my G10 driver and G20 4w are positively ancient - and clearly really not what a SF handicap player should be playing with if he wants to get to 6 next season ;)

Or maybe it's just me.

As it happens I just love my G10 and G20. They are for me probably the most consistently good clubs in my golfing armoury.
Bit off topic but what do you think will get you to 6 cap.
Good players can play with anything imo.
So what’s the thing you need to improve on to get there?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Bit off topic but what do you think will get you to 6 cap.
Good players can play with anything imo.
So what’s the thing you need to improve on to get there?
  1. Bit more confidence in my longer to mid-iron play (so 4,5,6,7)
  2. Less guessing at my approach distances (see also 1. and likely item in my letter to Santa this year)
  3. More 'attacking' attitude to putting - so my conservative 'I've got two putts for a par is good' mentality has to change
I've been 6 h/cap before - but about 30yrs ago - so I know I am capable, and I actually think I am a better player today than I was back then - I just played a lot more back then.

I may get new irons as mine are getting on a bit and maybe I should just park my miserly Scottish 'they'll do' thinking.

But I'm not seeing the need for new clubs as at all important - though it might help. When I got down to 6 all those 30yrs ago I was playing Wilson Staff Fluid Feel Tour Blades - blades and obviously quite different technology from today's bats. So as far as I am concerned - if I could do it with my WSs blades back then - then I can do it today with my current clubs.

And back on topic - I very much doubt that I'll change my Ping G10 driver or my Ping G20 4w :)

Last edited:

mikeb4

Head Pro
Visit site
I have the g400 sftdriver, which has been in the bag for over a year now, excellent club, as with any club you have to get properly fitted for it.
I also game the g400 5 wood (not sft) and it is also excellent off the deck and tee.

I did not have confidence with the G400 4 Hybrid (cant explain why) so it got replaced however the G400 5 Hybrid works very well.

Have tried the G410 didnt notice a lot of difference from the G400 , and i had the G series prior to the G400 and i did notice more forgiveness moving to the G400