Ping G series woods.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

1. Why not buy a 4 hybrid and take the pressure off. Did you notice a difference between the scratch mans 4iron and your own.

I use a 3i hybrid for a lot of the shots that I might struggle with a bit (it's in my head - a hangover from a few years of too many unmentionables every round). So last weekend faced with a 165yd carry over a greenside bunker to a back pin - so maybe just over 180yd total - I hit my 3i hybrid high and slightly fading - carried the bunker easily, pitched and stopped within 6ft to 18" :)

I'll also use it on a 155yd par 3 if I'm not too comfortable with hitting a 6i or 7i. Pretty much same swing but I just don't hit the ball quite so hard - look to hit it a bit higher and floaty - and if it goes long towards back of green then - at the moment - no big deal.

And on our longer par 3 I will hit a draw about 205yds...it's versatile.

So yes - over the last few rounds I've twigged that I should more look to choose what I feel comfortable hitting - and not hit what I think others off my handicap might play. Hit the club that I have most confidence in being able to deliver a result that is satisfactory - it doesn't need to be great.

This is actually having the effect of building a bit of confidence in my swing and mid-irons; my confidence that my swing will deliver the clubhead to the ball as I want it is improving - and I am not thinking about the specifics of what I am doing in my swing. This confidence has been greatly helped as the scratch man told me that with my swing I should be a 'lot' lower than 8 :)

And yes - his iron striking was visibly quite different from mine. But his words were very encouraging. For me at the moment my golf is all about getting things stabilised at my current handicap after 4 months of mess and 10 +0.1s in 11 qualifiers (the 11th being a -0.4). And it is getting there. I have a Winter singles K/O match Saturday morning against a 'dangerous' (I am told) slightly higher handicapper (14) and good matchplayer. But so am I. I will be giving 6 shots - my 3i Hybrid will be getting a good outing.

Last edited:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I use a 3i hybrid for a lot of the shots that I might struggle with a bit (it's in my head - a hangover from a few years of too many unmentionables every round). So last weekend faced with a 165yd carry over a greenside bunker to a back pin - so maybe just over 180yd total - I hit my 3i hybrid high and slightly fading - carried the bunker easily, pitched and stopped within 6ft to 18" :)

I'll also use it on a 155yd par 3 if I'm not too comfortable with hitting a 6i or 7i. Pretty much same swing but I just don't hit the ball quite so hard - look to hit it a bit higher and floaty - and if it goes long towards back of green then - at the moment - no big deal.

So yes - over the last few rounds I've twigged that I should more look to choose what I feel comfortable hitting - and not hit what I think others off my handicap might play. Hit the club that I have most confidence in being able to deliver a result that is satisfactory - it doesn't need to be great.

This is actually having the effect of building a bit of confidence in my swing and mid-irons; my confidence that my swing will deliver the clubhead to the ball as I want it is improving - and I am not thinking about the specifics of what I am doing in my swing. This confidence has been greatly helped as the scratch man told me that with my swing I should be a 'lot' lower than 8 :)

And yes - his iron striking was visibly quite different from mine. But his words were very encouraging. For me at the moment my golf is all about getting things stabilised at my current handicap after 4 months of mess and 10 +0.1s in 11 qualifiers (the 11th being a -0.4). And it is getting there. I have a Winter singles K/O match Saturday morning against a 'dangerous' (I am told) slightly higher handicapper (14) and good matchplayer. But so am I. I will be giving 6 shots - my 3i Hybrid will be getting a good outing.

Cant recommend a 5 hybrid enough. If you think that 3 is useful. The 5 will blow you away.

Golf is about small improvements over time. The consistency a 5 will bring in the 150-180 yard window will move your game to the next level.

I identified the 150-200 yard distance as being a problem area for me a couple of years ago. Just not consistent enough and have plugged that hole with a myriad of woods and hybrids. Turned it into a strength of mine.

Irons stop now at 7.

Experimenting with my 5 hybrid lofted up. 4 hybrid lofted up and a 7 wood in the post.

The 5 hybrid lofted up hits a ball I could only dream off with a 6 iron.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Cant recommend a 5 hybrid enough. If you think that 3 is useful. The 5 will blow you away.

Golf is about small improvements over time. The consistency a 5 will bring in the 150-180 yard window will move your game to the next level.

I identified the 150-200 yard distance as being a problem area for me a couple of years ago. Just not consistent enough and have plugged that hole with a myriad of woods and hybrids. Turned it into a strength of mine.

Irons stop now at 7.

Experimenting with my 5 hybrid lofted up. 4 hybrid lofted up and a 7 wood in the post.

The 5 hybrid lofted up hits a ball I could only dream off with a 6 iron.

Good advice - especially given your handicap is where I'd like my to be getting towards (the 'low handicap golfers don't use loads of hybrids' thinking still popped up when I read your post before checking out your handicap :) ).

If my swing is good enough, then it can then only be practice that would give me the consistency I seek in that range. But if I am not inclined to put the practice in (and I am not) then I need to look elsewhere to get that consistency. And if such as a 5i hybrid gives me the consistency I seek, and I know that my head and playing experience will enable me to see, shape and play most shots with such a club, then that is logically where I must go. And in truth it is obvious to me when I think about it. Where my 3i hybrid doesn't work quite as well or consistently is when I try and really hold back on it - I play the shot 'too easy' and that is when the timing goes a bit. So a 5i hybrid. (y)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Good advice - especially given your handicap is where I'd like my to be getting towards (the 'low handicap golfers don't use loads of hybrids' thinking still popped up when I read your post before checking out your handicap :) ).

If my swing is good enough, then it can then only be practice that would give me the consistency I seek in that range. But if I am not inclined to put the practice in (and I am not) then I need to look elsewhere to get that consistency. And if such as a 5i hybrid gives me the consistency I seek, and I know that my head and playing experience will enable me to see, shape and play most shots with such a club, then that is logically where I must go. And in truth it is obvious to me when I think about it. Where my 3i hybrid doesn't work quite as well or consistently is when I try and really hold back on it - I play the shot 'too easy' and that is when the timing goes a bit. So a 5i hybrid. (y)

The problem with taking so much off a 3hybrid is to you wont get the necessary height spin and stop on the green. You will also be holding the face off too much and sacrificing face stability through the strike. Most likely missing weakly to the right. Or stopping the body rotation and flipping at it missing left.

I've had all sorts of snide remarks over my hybrids from my mates and young guys at the club. Those that have played with me know how good I am with them. I have no qualms daunting a 5 hybrid in while guys are muscling 7irons and coming up short.

I walked golfer of the year this year. 10 best cards by 16 points. Take my 4 and 5 hybrid out of the bag and replace them with irons. I'm sure I wouldn't have been anywhere near it. Same player, same swing. Just wouldn't have featured.

I'd love to see a video with a range of handicap golfers on trackman and see 10 shots with 5iron and 10 with 5hybrid and see the results. I'd back the hybrid all day.

I'd argue its handicap golfers most criminally under used club. There is nothing to stop someone having a 4 or 3 iron after it. Most miss the trick and miss out on the obvious advantages of it.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The pro at one of my local clubs posted this gap testing on facebook. This is probably an example of Mr Average golfer. The alarm bells start ringing for me at 6 5 and 4 iron. Not to mention the huge gap up to 5 wood from the 4 iron. With the gaps bunching I dont even need to see the swing to tell his strike and consistency is being compromised around 4 5 and 6 irons.
This player could pop in a 4 and 5 hybrid and be a better player overnight.

Screenshot_20191114-115417_Gallery.jpg

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
The pro at one of my local clubs posted this gap testing on facebook. This is probably an example of Mr Average golfer. The alarm bells start ringing for me at 6 5 and 4 iron. Not to mention the huge gap up to 5 wood from the 4 iron. With the gaps bunching I dont even need to see the swing to tell his strike and consistency is being compromised around 4 5 and 6 irons.
This player could pop in a 4 and 5 hybrid and be a better player overnight.

View attachment 28561

I made the mistake of getting rid of most of 2 hybrids this year.

Felt I’d improved 2018, handicap hasn’t risen, but imo that’s due to putting and short game improving considering the amount of greens I miss. Am More comfortable at 185 with a hybrid than I am at 160 with an iron. Window shopping as we speak to make a change.

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Gary..do you find your 5h flies much further than a 5i?
I have a 26° 5iron for about 175 and a 26° 5h which flies 185-190..

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Gary..do you find your 5h flies much further than a 5i?
I have a 26° 5iron for about 175 and a 26° 5h which flies 185-190..

My 5h is 27degrees as standard. It would fly 10-15 yards further than a well struck 5 iron. I'd say those are totals. They have completely differnt flights. My 5i doesn't launch or carry anywhere near the hybrid. It may run out on dry conditions closer to the hybrid.

I'm experimenting at the minute. I have it knocked up a degree and a half and in my head I'm calling it a 6 and a half iron distance.

During the season I'd have hit it anywhere from 160-180. After that I'd reach for the 4h.

I hoping to have

5h lofted up to have 160-170 carry
4h lofted up 170-180 carry
7 wood 180 - 200
5 wood 215

Ish...

I'll mess with the lofts and hopefully get on trackman to confirm in time.

I was actually surprised at how much effect lifting up the hybrid actually had. Never even entertained the idea before.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The problem with taking so much off a 3hybrid is to you wont get the necessary height spin and stop on the green. You will also be holding the face off too much and sacrificing face stability through the strike. Most likely missing weakly to the right. Or stopping the body rotation and flipping at it missing left.

I've had all sorts of snide remarks over my hybrids from my mates and young guys at the club. Those that have played with me know how good I am with them. I have no qualms daunting a 5 hybrid in while guys are muscling 7irons and coming up short.

I walked golfer of the year this year. 10 best cards by 16 points. Take my 4 and 5 hybrid out of the bag and replace them with irons. I'm sure I wouldn't have been anywhere near it. Same player, same swing. Just wouldn't have featured.

I'd love to see a video with a range of handicap golfers on trackman and see 10 shots with 5iron and 10 with 5hybrid and see the results. I'd back the hybrid all day.

I'd argue its handicap golfers most criminally under used club. There is nothing to stop someone having a 4 or 3 iron after it. Most miss the trick and miss out on the obvious advantages of it.

LOL - how exactly true is that - when I hold back a little I regularly do either of what you say :)

You have convinced me because you have described me...

btw - it was easy enough for me to stop my 3i from 180yds (as I described) as the green was soft.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
When I get my next set, hopefully next year, I will be suprised if I have a an iron longer than a 5 and possibly even a 6 in the bag.

It’s just not necessary for people of my ability with these low loft of irons these days.