Ping eye2

BowezoDFC

Visit site
I am still using a set of ping eye2 irons . Would I benefit from getting a more recent set . I was thinking getting another set of ping if I did, maybe i200, purely because my eye 2s have served me well for 30 years. I am only thinking of a new set because my pings are showing signs of their age a bit . . Anyone got any views on the ping i200s ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Some differences between eye 2s and modern club

The number on the bottom of the clubs between each set will not equate a 9 in eye 2s will generally be a PW in a modern set and you will need to buy a wedge around 52 degree to replace what you play with now.

Shafts are generally lighter. the CFS shaft is considerably lighter compared to what is in a eye2

Modern clubs are not allowed to have the square grooves you get in eye2s so expect less spin.

Ping eye 2s to i200s is a bit of switch from a cavity back to a blade style. Have you considered G410.

BowezoDFC

Visit site
I haven’t . I don’t really know too much about recent clubs because I have just started playing again after a decade or so away from the game . I am torn between paying top dollar for a set of clubs because I just don’t know if they will be worth the outlay but if they last me as long then they may well be my last . I am 52 yr old now . Keeping the cost down is the reason why I have chosen a ping set from 2016 or so

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Some differences between eye 2s and modern club

The number on the bottom of the clubs between each set will not equate a 9 in eye 2s will generally be a PW in a modern set and you will need to buy a wedge around 52 degree to replace what you play with now.

Shafts are generally lighter. the CFS shaft is considerably lighter compared to what is in a eye2

Modern clubs are not allowed to have the square grooves you get in eye2s so expect less spin.

Ping eye 2s to i200s is a bit of switch from a cavity back to a blade style. Have you considered G410.
Eye 2+ were legal, decent chance that's what he's got.

RichA

Visit site
I use Eye2s. Also 50ish and recently returned to golf. Looking for a new set of irons, I've tested a few.
New clubs will be more forgiving and longer, but when you go back to your Eye2s you'll be surprised how playable they are, especially the shorter irons. You'll just wish there was an Eye2 iron that was consistent around the 200 yard mark.
Perhaps try a free fitting somewhere like AG with Mizuno DNA to get an idea of your shaft requirements (Ping zz-lite were apparently stiff to X-stiff, which isn't great if you're a little older) then test some current Ping irons to confirm your fit measurements. Once you know your requirements you can pick something off eBay or golfbidder, etc.

I'm only suggesting this because I'm in a similar situation and I've done some research. Definitely not an expert.

You might feel you're better off just supplementing your 7-W with a couple of hybrids and a crossover.

BowezoDFC

Visit site
and eye 2+ will still be legal come 2024.

I was pointing out that modern cubs are not allowed the same type of grooves as in Eye 2+s
Going on stuff learned on the net and checking my serial numbers my irons were from the November 89 to march 90 batch and not a plus version . Please don’t tell anyone ?

BowezoDFC

Visit site
I use Eye2s. Also 50ish and recently returned to golf. Looking for a new set of irons, I've tested a few.
New clubs will be more forgiving and longer, but when you go back to your Eye2s you'll be surprised how playable they are, especially the shorter irons. You'll just wish there was an Eye2 iron that was consistent around the 200 yard mark.
Perhaps try a free fitting somewhere like AG with Mizuno DNA to get an idea of your shaft requirements (Ping zz-lite were apparently stiff to X-stiff, which isn't great if you're a little older) then test some current Ping irons to confirm your fit measurements. Once you know your requirements you can pick something off eBay or golfbidder, etc.

I'm only suggesting this because I'm in a similar situation and I've done some research. Definitely not an expert.

You might feel you're better off just supplementing your 7-W with a couple of hybrids and a crossover.
That is the info I was after thanks . I was thinking of going down that line of getting fitted up at ag . Thanks

RichA

Visit site
That is the info I was after thanks . I was thinking of going down that line of getting fitted up at ag . Thanks
Make sure you know exactly what your lie angle, shaft length and flex were before you leave. A bit like a free eye test, they might not automatically give you the full details if you're not buying. I realise that's the whole point of a fitting, but if you're a little rusty, like I was, there's so much going on that it didn't all go straight into permanent memory.
Also, being a little older now, I found the biggest single improvement for me was midsize grips - worth trying while you're at it.

RichA

Visit site
An' another fing...

I'd say you're torn between Mizuno and Ping, just to make sure they use the swing DNA gizmo to get the right shaft for you. Otherwise they'll probably just fit you for G425 with standard shafts.

I know it's milking them a little, if you've no intention of buying, but I've spent plenty of money at AG in the past, so my conscience is clear.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Going on stuff learned on the net and checking my serial numbers my irons were from the November 89 to march 90 batch and not a plus version . Please don’t tell anyone ?

Do not worry

The Ping Eye 2 clubs (irons and wedges) were grandfathered for life as part of a settlement in 1993 of a suit Ping filed against the USGA. In short, any Ping Eye 2 manufactured prior to March 31, 1990, is within the rules as long as the USGA governs the game.

The point I was making is that you will see a lot less spin with new clubs.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I am still using a set of ping eye2 irons . Would I benefit from getting a more recent set . I was thinking getting another set of ping if I did, maybe i200, purely because my eye 2s have served me well for 30 years. I am only thinking of a new set because my pings are showing signs of their age a bit . . Anyone got any views on the ping i200s ?

Nice clubs, tried them when they came out, but couldn't justify at that time to buying them.

Zig

Visit site
I've got a lovely set of i200s for sale on the 'For sale/wanted' forum. ;)

Like others have said on the thread, it's about finding what works for you.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you are hitting the ball roughly where you want to hit it, I would be wary about a major change. It doesn't really matter if you need an Eye 2 with a 9 on the sole to hit it where a G410 PW will hit it, so long as you can hit that Eye 2 9 as close to the hole as the 410 PW.

You could consider a couple of more user friendly longer irons, maybe utility irons in the longer end of the set, a Ping Crossover 4 for example. You might find that a crossover 4 is longer than your Eye 2 4 iron, so keep both and ditch the 3 iron.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I've got a set of i210's which I'm about to put up for sale. They are definitely not blade style clubs, big cavity with loads of forgiveness. Suitable for a wide range of handicaps ?

GuyInLyon

Visit site
If you've been using them for 30 years you know those suckers up, down and sideways.

Keep them, use them, and enjoy them.

If you spend $1000-2000 n a new set of clubs you'll probably be disappointed, in one way or another, so why bother?

BowezoDFC

Visit site
My mate has just bought some ping i15 irons and look very similar so I am going to stay with my trusted eye2s . You are very correct that it would have been an ego trip of sorts . ?