Ping dot system

Foreplay

Medal Winner
Visit site
Apart from Ping irons do most other golf club manufactures all have a standard lie angle, if so would these be equivalent to the Ping Black dot (Standard lie angle). If so would most people be able to comfortably play with a set of Ping Black dot irons?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Most are in the 61-63° range.
Ping Black dot is 62
For most people a degree either side won't make a huge difference so....probably yes.

Imurg

Visit site
From the website.
Lie angle is based on Black dot at standard length

Blue dot is the most popular but Black is the baseline.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ping changed the meaning of the dots a while back so be careful of the age of the chart you look at.

With most big name manufacturers you can get all the specs on their websites

The specs of what is considered standard can vary from one to another.

e.g 7 irons
Taylor made Sim Lie 63deg length 37.25"
Mizuno JPX 61.5 37
Ping 62 37

As per Imurgs range

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I believe, and I'm happy to be politely corrected, that the dot represents the effective lie angle, not the actual lie angle.

For every 1/2" longer a club is, it is effectively 1 degree upright. So if a club is an inch longer and 1 degree upright, then it plays 3 degrees upright & the colour code would reflect that is my understanding.

Foreplay

Medal Winner
Visit site
Why do you think non of the other major golf club manufacturers bother with a coloured dot system? Is it a gimmick?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Why do you think non of the other major golf club manufacturers bother with a coloured dot system? Is it a gimmick?

Not really. It has been an integral part of Ping's fitting process for decades (since 1972) and I know some places use the Ping static fit (wrist to floor) as their starting point. I have had AG do that and also some PGA pros so it is recognised as a reliable point to start with. I don't know why other companies don't have their own version of the dot system but it is definitely something I have found reliable

Imurg

Visit site
Not sure if they do it anymore but Callaway used to colour code custom fit lie angles..
Yellow was 3° flat going through Red, Gold, Black as standard, Green, White and Blue at 3° upright.
Markings on the hostel were paint filled.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure if they do it anymore but Callaway used to colour code custom fit lie angles..
Yellow was 3° flat going through Red, Gold, Black as standard, Green, White and Blue at 3° upright.
Markings on the hostel were paint filled.
But wasn’t that just limited to the fitting cart?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Callaway and Cleveland have similar (or had last time I had a set) but there was just a choice of 3. The lines/ dots on the hosel showed you the lie. Back in the day so did a few others with red dot as their standard Lynx and Maxfli come to mind.

Foreplay

Medal Winner
Visit site
I’ve seen a set of Ping G Irons at a very reasonable price, they are Blue dot. According to the latest Ping dot colour chart I come out as Orange dot, would the difference between Blue & Orange be Minimal or would it be too much?

Imurg

Visit site
3° is more than you would want to have as a difference..but...
It depends on the ball flight.
You could have lie angles way out but still hit the ball straight because of the way you deliver the club
Conversely your lie angle may be neutral but your ball flight is miles left or right.
Try going to AG and trying different lie angled heads to give you an idea.
The clubs can also be retro fitted and bent to the correct lke by Ping as well.

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The static fit using the chart is the starting point of your fitting, you then do the dynamic part of the lie fitting by hitting off the impact board as it is where you are at impact that matters.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’ve seen a set of Ping G Irons at a very reasonable price, they are Blue dot. According to the latest Ping dot colour chart I come out as Orange dot, would the difference between Blue & Orange be Minimal or would it be too much?
According to my measurements, I come out as red dot (1 degree flat), but as part of my fitting at Ping they check this using a strike board. Using this I came out as blue dot (1 degree upright). This was confirmed a year later when a mobile Ping fitter came to our club. Looking at my height he queried the blue dot and got me to use the strike board and ended up agreeing with the original fitting.