Ping Customer Service - or lack of!

TerryA

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Jan 3rd my wife’s Rhapsody 3 wood shaft broke literally just after impact with the ball - I’ve never seen that happen before. Took the club back to the retailer, she’d had it from new and been fitted for it at Gainsborough in 2015 so they had all the details. Club sent back to Ping, over 2 weeks later the club is returned to the retailer I go to collect it and the wrong shaft has been fitted. Should have been a ‘Lite’ they fitted an Ultra lite. The retailer contacts Ping, gives them the serial number from the club-head and they confirm that their records show it should have been the lite. It gets sent back and 2 weeks later it’s returned. It’s still got the Ultra lite shaft in it. Retailer again contacts Ping, the apologise and ask for it to be returned. This time we get it back a week later - a much quiker turn round. I pick it up for my wife and I notice it has a very loud rattle sound - probably some dried glue rattling around in the head. It was sent back yet again and we are waiting still for it to come back from Ping.
What an absolute joke of a company who supposedly market themselves on great customer service. I have already paid for the shaft from the first time so they have been paid but not delivered. Needless to say I’d think twice before buying any of their products again.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Does seem poor.

Very surprised that they got the shaft wrong, never mind getting it wrong twice as they have the "history" of every club that leaves their factory here and in the USA.

Bit of glue can break off at any time, could have happened in transit.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Very surprised to read this. Always enjoyed wonderful service from Ping. Hopefully they will sort it out as a priority and offer an apology at least.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Sounds like a major anomaly but....
You judge a company on how well they sort out mistakes. Mistakes happen so being able to rectify things efficiently is vital.
Ping have had several goes at this and failed spectacularly over what is a pretty straightforward problem.
Regardless of how good they've been, if this becomes more common, a loss of confidence in a company could follow.
Hope they get it right .

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think you have been unlucky, I have always had great service from Ping, well above what could be reasonably expected. Last year I sent a couple of 10 year old ping G10's back as the decals were missing, I fully expected to pay but Ping returned them in about a week with no charge.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ping have definitely had a decline in customer service standards over the last 5 years. The manager of the fitting Centre said that callaway is the best company to deal with these days

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
OP: is the retailer involved in this known well to you?
Is it possible that perhaps they are not giving clear enough instructions to Ping?
Not saying it's the retailer's fault, but if they are an unknown factor, it's something to consider.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
OP: is the retailer involved in this known well to you?
Is it possible that perhaps they are not giving clear enough instructions to Ping?
Not saying it's the retailer's fault, but if they are an unknown factor, it's something to consider.

The strange thing is Ping know the history and specs of the club from when it left the factory floor, all recorded against the serial number, from grips, wraps of tape, lie and shaft. I find it strange that they would twice put the wrong shaft in the club unless someone had swapped the shaft over prior to the OP (or his wife) buying it. Possibly the pro shop switched the shaft over for someone else throwing the specs "out" compared to what was the original build.

Either way I do agree its not great CS.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Dunno what repair cost you'd already agreed to pay for the new shaft but I guess they might discount it a bit now

Robin Hood

Visit site
News about poor service always travels further and faster than praise for good service.
I expect Ping would be horrified about public pillorying.
I would expect some form of recompense.

TerryA

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I spoke to Ping myself the first time they got it wrong. I was also in the shop when the retailer spoke to them. My wife has been without her 3 wood for 8 weeks now and counting.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Always found Ping excellent and they go above and beyond in terms of customer service. Hence agreeing to replacing FOC a 4 year old shaft.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Well, just thought I'd update this thread.

Sent two of my wedges back to Ping on Friday to alter the lie.

That's them back in the pro shop today. Top work and top class customer service from Ping.