PING counterfeits?

Bdaniels

Visit site
Hello,
I heard you guys are really helpful when it comes to determining if a club is legit or not.
I recently purchased a set of PING blueprint irons off Ebay from the US.
They are pre-owned and I payed a reasonable price for them. The buyer has over 300 sales and all 5 stars- appears to sell sports equipment.

When I got the clubs the grips also were worn down significantly showing these irons had some love.

My concern is when I checked the original serial number (laser etched) the original shafts were Project X’s. Being 2019 models I can see that the shafts might be replaced in that time especially because the grips are so worn on the current shafts.

Attached are pictures of the 6 iron.
Build quality seems good to me and irons are magnetic including the weight. Paint seems consistent too. They hit great.

What do you think?

5F896159-0819-42E5-A8A9-22529F9E544E.jpeg72CA2A5F-1626-41E8-93AF-3FC23200BCBF.jpegCE7B76C1-96D0-45BD-BE6C-B2279CE3FF5A.jpeg068B274D-064F-4DDE-83B1-1A3DCB984F5B.jpegB860279B-A349-4470-B948-C349B2D7EB0C.jpeg

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
They look legit to my eye, hard to falsify a club thats a clean as a blueprint in my opinion - but echo the above - contact Ping to be sure!

AAC

Visit site
The couple of times I have had issues with Ping Clubs they have been great, admittedly these were wear & tear issues but I suspect their customer service will be just as good in checking for authenticity.

Welcome along & respect for your club choice.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I'd be surprised if there is a big enough market for Ping Blueprints to justify tooling up for the counterfeits; I think there's better margins in drivers. Those look good to me.

Welcome aboard.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hello,
I heard you guys are really helpful when it comes to determining if a club is legit or not.
I recently purchased a set of PING blueprint irons off Ebay from the US.
They are pre-owned and I payed a reasonable price for them. The buyer has over 300 sales and all 5 stars- appears to sell sports equipment.

When I got the clubs the grips also were worn down significantly showing these irons had some love.

My concern is when I checked the original serial number (laser etched) the original shafts were Project X’s. Being 2019 models I can see that the shafts might be replaced in that time especially because the grips are so worn on the current shafts.

Attached are pictures of the 6 iron.
Build quality seems good to me and irons are magnetic including the weight. Paint seems consistent too. They hit great.

What do you think?

View attachment 35806View attachment 35807View attachment 35808View attachment 35809View attachment 35810

Re your comment about the shaft. A lot of players will change the shaft because they realise that what was fitted does not suit them after all. I think the the giveaway is the slight gap between the ferrule and the head and the little bit of glue that can be seen. I would not expect to see that on a Ping fitted shaft.

Bdaniels

Visit site
Re your comment about the shaft. A lot of players will change the shaft because they realise that what was fitted does not suit them after all. I think the the giveaway is the slight gap between the ferrule and the head and the little bit of glue that can be seen. I would not expect to see that on a Ping fitted shaft.

The shaft equipped currently was not from the factory- originally was a project X. Clubs are a couple years older too so it could make sense they were swapped to me...I’m mostly worried about the head of the club. thank you for your feedback :)!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
You say the weight screw is magnetic, did you remove one to check?

Tungsten can be magnetic, but way less so than steel.

Odds, are, these are fine.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This was my first reaction.
The finish on the ferrules looks like the shafts have been swapped.
The heat can deform the ferrule slightly and if not replaced they just don’t look square to the head there is a gap .
If you ask Ping for the original spec for the serial number that will tell you.
But the heads look fine to me.

D

Deleted member 29109

I'd be worried about how well those shafts have been fitted looking at those pictures. I'm not a pro, but I do my own shaft fitting and dona neater job than that.
I'd get them checked out if you are not comfortable doing it yourself.

Bdaniels

Visit site
This was my first reaction.
The finish on the ferrules looks like the shafts have been swapped.
The heat can deform the ferrule slightly and if not replaced they just don’t look square to the head there is a gap .
If you ask Ping for the original spec for the serial number that will tell you.
But the heads look fine to me.
Thank you