Pile of sticks gathered by Greenkeepers

Steven Rules

Visit site
Today I was asked about an occurrence very relevant to this thread. Our 12th hole is a par 3 over a wide ditch in front of the green. The ditch is a red penalty area. Our greenstaff had collected debris from the ditch, and it was obviously piled for later removal. The pile was inside the penalty area, however. A players ball went into this pile, and they asked me later if they were entitled to free relief at all. I honestly didn't know, but said that as it was not in the general area, no free relief was available. Did I give correct info, or was a free drop available inside the penalty area?
You are correct. There is no free relief from an abnormal course condition (which includes GUR) when the ball is in a penalty area. Rule 16.1a(2). This applies regardless of whether the condition itself is in or outside the penalty area.

The only relief option is to take penalty relief outside the penalty area under Rule 17.

Edit - Of course, if feasible, the sticks could be removed by the player as loose impediments as long as the ball doesn't move in doing so.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Today I was asked about an occurrence very relevant to this thread. Our 12th hole is a par 3 over a wide ditch in front of the green. The ditch is a red penalty area. Our greenstaff had collected debris from the ditch, and it was obviously piled for later removal. The pile was inside the penalty area, however. A players ball went into this pile, and they asked me later if they were entitled to free relief at all. I honestly didn't know, but said that as it was not in the general area, no free relief was available. Did I give correct info, or was a free drop available inside the penalty area?
Relief Allowed Anywhere on Course Except When Ball Is in Penalty Area.
Remember "Any natural materials that are piled for removal are also loose impediments"