Picking a club(s)

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So both interpretations work for what i'm looking for here. (to stave off any lessons suggestion i'm having a lesson each week at the moment because imo its the first thing to improve)

First off, i managed to play recently and i'm close enough to my target above par that I am going to (after christmas) get rid of my dunlop 65i's and replace them with something newer, potentially fitted, and shinier. I currently have in my bag a driver, 3 and 5 wood, 3-9 irons, pw and sw. My long game struggles the most in my opinion, driver is between 250-270 , 3 wood about 220-230 but with alot of dispersion (whats a fairway?). once i'm within 120 yards or so I would expect to hit the green 4/5 times, and then because i'm bad typically 3 putt even from 10ft! Never hit a hybrid.

I quite like the 3 and 5 wood (thanks to a topic I posted here I started using it, my fav club now!), really struggle with 3/4/5 irons for some reason.

I would appreciate thoughts on getting a full set of clubs generally but I have a few questiosn in my head. Should I get the full bag all at the same time, where do hybrids fit into all this, what wedge(s) should I think about adding (never had anything other than a pw or sw in my hands), i'm a bit ocd so i'll likely get all the clubs from the same manufacturer. looking to spend not more than 2k total

ANNNNNNNND onto selecting a new club!

I am looking at which actually course to join as a member. I liked chelsfield lakes but the course just doesn't feel worth the price and i'm full rate as they don't extend intermediate to 28. Ones on my radar to consider are. I'd love to tap the knowledge of people on here. I've only tried a few local courses, redlibbets, orpington, chelsfield, addington court, i want a join a course next year in this kind of area, and would appreacite adding a few names to the list to give a try as a visitor before joining one. Currently on my list to try locally are Sundridge, West kent and Chislehurst. I'm happy with the fees provided its quality represents the money, but really want to have a course with great practice facilities given i'll be on there more than i'm on the course, competitions are a second thought at the moment but hopefully in my second year more of a draw. Appreciate any top tips to add to my list!

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
If you are about to spend 2k on clubs, get custom fitted, there isn't a pro out there who says otherwise, youtube will soon tell you that. There can't be too many golfers out there who have all the same make in their bags nowadays, at the moment I have 5 different makes in my bag, well 4 if you don't count Callaway and Odessey as being one company.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you are about to spend 2k on clubs, get custom fitted, there isn't a pro out there who says otherwise, youtube will soon tell you that. There can't be too many golfers out there who have all the same make in their bags nowadays, at the moment I have 5 different makes in my bag, well 4 if you don't count Callaway and Odessey as being one company.

Custom fitting, imo, is a given when you're spending some money on a new set :) i've actually never had more than one make in my bag, so even two would be a bit of a swap!

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
As far as the golf clubs go, I've never played Orpington but Cray Valley which it seems to be associated with was "affectionately" known as The Flintstones to those of us who gouged lumps out of our clubs when we couldn't afford anything better. Addington Court (Old Course) was considerably better as a public layout. Chislehurst is very tight and short but I always enjoyed it, there may be a bit of bias as my late uncle who introduced me to this game was a member here & at Littlestone. West Kent I very much like as a layout, very friendly members club when I used to visit regularly. Sundridge Park is the top of that list for me, 2 very different courses, excellent clubhouse. These last 3 are head and shoulders above anything else you've listed in terms of quality and would be where I'd be looking to join.

BristolMike

Head Pro
Visit site
I know you were saying you were thinking of waiting until after xmas, but I've heard a rumour that American Golf willl be launching 3 for 2 on everything as a Black Friday offer. Could be a good chance to get things a bit cheaper

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I know you were saying you were thinking of waiting until after xmas, but I've heard a rumour that American Golf willl be launching 3 for 2 on everything as a Black Friday offer. Could be a good chance to get things a bit cheaper

Perhaps but the line "i spent all our money on golf equipment" ahead of getting people christmas gifts wouldn't go down so well with a certain boss in the household! :) after christmas i've basically free reign

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Distances are good
Hopefully 'better' clubs might be more forgiving and aid accuracy

I'd also advocate fitting if you're spending £2k but try not to get too hung up on everything matching

Nothing wrong with getting woods from one manufacturer and irons from another (for example) if they are the best for you

D

Deleted member 16999

Can’t help with the choice of were to join, but going on your stats I would put the new club as a priority, getting playing regular and identify weak areas, I’m off 12 and would love to hit those distances you state.

Play the course with what you’ve got and see then the set up you believe would suit you best.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Courses..... how about West Malling, Wrotham, Woodlands Manor(near West Kingsdown), Pedham Place(m25 juct 3)
All those are easy to get to from your A21/M25 junction area.:)

BristolMike

Head Pro
Visit site
Perhaps but the line "i spent all our money on golf equipment" ahead of getting people christmas gifts wouldn't go down so well with a certain boss in the household! :) after christmas i've basically free reign

haha very valid point. You try and get away with it by looking very guilty and repeating that they were too cheap to turn down. It doesn't work, but always worth a try

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
In terms of courses, I agree with the earlier suggestion 're Sundridge/ Chislehurst/ West Kent/ but would include Langley Park and Shooters Hill. Ultimately they are all good courses with good clubhouse - but being members clubs they all have their own distinct flavour of membership. I would happily join any of them if it want for the journey (at 2 in the morning I could probably drive to any of them within 30 mins easily but that's not when I tend to play!). Practice facilities also vary significantly between them.
In terms of the other type of golf clubs....you can get last week's models for peanuts to replace your last year's ones - yesterday's models won't be a whole lot better and still quite expensive - or the latest shiny ones for which you an get fully fitted now, and again next year when your game moves to the next level (which based on your numbers and stats it quickly will. Your choice. Ultimately it is what works for you - nothing else matters!

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I wanted to pass on my thanks to everyone who commented on the topic, I have decided to stick with the crap clubs for 6 more months, (confirmed my good drive is 260 so why change!).

Bigger decision is that I played most of the listed courses, and decided to join Chislehurst. Onward to getting my first handicap!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wanted to pass on my thanks to everyone who commented on the topic, I have decided to stick with the crap clubs for 6 more months, (confirmed my good drive is 260 so why change!).

Bigger decision is that I played most of the listed courses, and decided to join Chislehurst. Onward to getting my first handicap!

Great clubhouse, good bunch of guys (from those I met this year) and, IMO, an underrated course. Loads of entry points and hole combinations for the summer evenings.

Enjoy it.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
Nice course, always liked playing there. Good choice. If, when you come to get new clubs and are looking for an independant excellent club fitter, try Lee Porter at Hylands Golf Complex in Essex. I know it would probably be a 40min drive, but trust me it's worth it. Top guy.