Pick and place

faroyon

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi Guys, hopefully you can lighten my darkness.
Is it correct that under the 'new rules' you can now have qualifying comps with pick and place anywhere, if so, could you tell me where I can find it written down. Thanks

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You could look at Model Local Rule E2 - Cleaning the ball

I am not sure if having this LR would make a competition non qualifying.

Last edited:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi Guys, hopefully you can lighten my darkness.
Is it correct that under the 'new rules' you can now have qualifying comps with pick and place anywhere, if so, could you tell me where I can find it written down. Thanks
The rules on qualifying comps are the CONGU manual.
Whilst there are specific decisions in the manual the overriding principle is that you may run Q comps with any sanctioned rule, or LR, in place unless specifically stated to the contrary.
The only example of this within the new rules is that you cannot implement the new LR for a ball lost, or OOB.
You may implement MLR E2 ( lift clean and replace in the general area) or MLR E3 (lift clean and place on grass cut to fairway height or less in the general area).
There is no Model Local Rule for lift clean and place anywhere in the general area - therefore you cannot run a Q comp if you have implemented one yourselves.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have had confirmation that the new wording of the LR (ie without the requirement to mark the ball) must be used for it to be a qualifier.

E2 does not affect qualification

oltimer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have had confirmation that the new wording of the LR (ie without the requirement to mark the ball) must be used for it to be a qualifier.

E2 does not affect qualification
Clarification please - does this mean that with Lift clean and Replace in force the comps are still qualifiers, also the congu manual states position must be marked before lifting.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Clarification please - does this mean that with Lift clean and Replace in force the comps are still qualifiers, also the congu manual states position must be marked before lifting.
As already posted, and the CONGU manual was reflecting the old LR

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
h

Thanks Gents - got it now I think, It was the bit about NOT having to mark it that was throwing me as I understood that any ball to be "replaced" had to have its position marked.
Yes 'replaced' is the key word. Preferred Lies is 'placed' (somewhere else).

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have prefered lies in the winter, whereby we can mark, lift, wipe and replace within 6 inches no nearer the hole on fairways or closely mown area only and our winter medals are qualifying.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
h

Thanks Gents - got it now I think, It was the bit about NOT having to mark it that was throwing me as I understood that any ball to be "replaced" had to have its position marked.

E2 requires the ball to be replaced therefore it would need to be marked before lifting.

We had discussed at our club about introducing this local rule a couple of years ago but felt it would to open to abuse.

Thanks for the confirmation that it does not affect qualifying status. When we have a new committee next year I might suggest it's introduction again.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have prefered lies in the winter, whereby we can mark, lift, wipe and replace within 6 inches no nearer the hole on fairways or closely mown area only and our winter medals are qualifying.

There is no longer a requirement to mark and the ball is to be placed rather than replaced.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
If your current preferred lies local rule still specifies the requirement to mark, I'm afraid your competitions do not satisfy the qualifier status requirements.
"The 2019 wording must be used"

This doesn't mean that the player must not mark his ball. Simply that he cannot be required to. He may if he wishes to. Generally recommended if he is intending to move to his towel to clean it.