Phone Advice

Grizzly

Visit site
It has become apparent that my old phone (I say old, I've only had it three years - do they not make stuff to last anymore?) is dying, quickly. I know very little about such things - this was the first time I bought a "proper" smartphone - so appreciate any advice on what I should be looking for in a new phone. This one is Android, but should I go for an iPhone? And if I do, can I synch it to iTunes?

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I’ve got iPhone,had iPhones forever.
But if I didn’t I wouldn’t switch to one now.
Suppose it depends how much you want to spend.

Grizzly

Visit site
It really is,just take it to one of the small independent phone shops.
Think I paid £20.
Get a SIM only contract for peanuts.

Wow, don't know why but I had assumed that it was a one shot deal - I've been shepherding the battery for months now to keep it running!

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Wow, don't know why but I had assumed that it was a one shot deal - I've been shepherding the battery for months now to keep it running!
They did mine within the hour.
You could buy one off eBay & do it yourself (vids on YouTube) but not worth it IMO.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Change the battery and immediately spend the money you've saved on golf stuff.
But, if you do change your phone, stick to Android.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Mrs SILH had the battery of her iPhone 6s replaced on Friday. Cost her £45 to have it sorted by the local ‘phone guys’. They had to split the case open and then glue it back together. But hey. I think this came about through a legal decision that forced Apple to make batteries available for when the phone battery started to die. The phones weren't made to be opened for a battery to be replaced.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
3 years is not really a long time for a battery. What make/model is it? Also check on what is running in the background of your phone as some apps can be real battery killers and you don't even know they're doing it. If you can get the battery replaced at a low cost then I would say go for it. If you are looking for a new phone then it depends on what you want to do with it. I have used Motorola for years as they are (relatively) cheap, decent spec, run stock Android and I much prefer Android of Apple purely because I hate the way Apple tries to control everything you can do with the phone.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you're used to Android there's no real point switching to Apple. They're not better or anything, they do much the same thing, but you'll have to get used to a new interface, buy new chargers and whatnot. Pointless.

If you want a good contract deal on a new phone go to somewhere like https://www.mobilephonesdirect.co.uk/ as they'll give you much better value than O2 etc can offer directly. (Something to do with them saving costs by not having offices or very many staff.)

Grizzly

Visit site
3 years is not really a long time for a battery. What make/model is it? Also check on what is running in the background of your phone as some apps can be real battery killers and you don't even know they're doing it. If you can get the battery replaced at a low cost then I would say go for it. If you are looking for a new phone then it depends on what you want to do with it. I have used Motorola for years as they are (relatively) cheap, decent spec, run stock Android and I much prefer Android of Apple purely because I hate the way Apple tries to control everything you can do with the phone.

Huawei Mate P20. Battery has been going for about six months - first it refused to super-charge, now it will only charge if it is over 90% or below 20%.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Huawei Mate P20. Battery has been going for about six months - first it refused to super-charge, now it will only charge if it is over 90% or below 20%.
Stick with Samsung's mate. I had a Huawei before and the battery was trash after 12 to 18 months on that as well. On Samsung they last a lot better, my current one is a year old now and still good as new.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Stick with Samsung's mate. I had a Huawei before and the battery was trash after 12 to 18 months on that as well. On Samsung they last a lot better, my current one is a year old now and still good as new.

Which one do you have? I was iPhone for years but made the switch to an S10

Love the phone but can't stand the on-screen finger print

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Which one do you have? I was iPhone for years but made the switch to an S10

Love the phone but can't stand the on-screen finger print
I have the A71. I never go for the S range as it seems like pointless extra expense for not very much benefit. With this phone I get 30gb data (never use anywhere near that much) and it's only £26 a month. My wife just got the new S21 something-or-other, and it's actually thicker and heavier than mine! And the cluster of cameras on the back just looks huge and ridiculous.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have the A71. I never go for the S range as it seems like pointless extra expense for not very much benefit. With this phone I get 30gb data (never use anywhere near that much) and it's only £26 a month. My wife just got the new S21 something-or-other, and it's actually thicker and heavier than mine! And the cluster of cameras on the back just looks huge and ridiculous.

Yeah I made the mistake of not really knowing about Samsung much and going for one that seemed ok

Will check out the a series when I renew in sept