Phil mickleson had he had a different caddie would he have won more??

jp5

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Similarly if Mickelson didn't have the approach the game he does he might not have won as many majors as he has. Still my favourite current player to watch.

Scrindle

Head Pro
Visit site
Watched an interview with Phil in it once and he said something along the lines of (paraphrasing) 'I play the way I play and that will never change. The day I stop going for everything is the day I stop playing golf'.

He's my favourite player to watch. I think fair play to him - you wouldn't find many taking on the shots he does. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

George31

Hacker
Visit site
Think he won the Scottish and The Open last year without hitting driver?

Your possible right mate,and he was proved right.But there is a case for the tourneys he lost or lost by not trying to stay incontention by being more conservative in he's shot selection.

Last edited:

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
He has said earlier this week, he was hitting woods off the tee to keep it safe and in play during the practice rounds but in doing so having to hit longer irons into greens. Rather than struggling to keep long irons on very firm greens he has decided to be more gung-ho off the tee to allow him to hit shorter irons into greens ( with the caveat that if he's wild, he'll deal with it).
That to me if Phil all over, Wild off the tee but simply no one better with a wedge in hand.

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
Read his autobiography and he said he always sees the shot and wants to play it ALWAYS, he sometimes gets talked out of it by Bones for the most part he wants to play the shot he sees. He gives Bones 1 veto per year, just one time to say, Phil that's a crazy shot it won't work play this instead. He tried to veto a shot at the Open some years ago when Phil wanted to putt over a bunker!?! Phil said Bones could not veto as that only applied in America :) but eventually let him talk him out of the shot. I think that highlights the length Phil will go to play the sensational shot when he sees it and no Caddy in the world can talk him out of playing the way he wants.

He is by far and away my favourite American player and love to watch him play golf.