Peter Allis RIP

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
As with all great commentators they had a way of making you feel like you were there with the players, be it the aforementioned Bill McClaren,or Brian Johnston, or Peter O'Sullivan or Dan Maskel to name but a few .
With P A you not only got the golf commentary but also his anecdotes on golfers of old .
He will be sorely missed when watching the open next year.
RIP Mr Golf Peter Allis.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
I will raise my glass to him when I sit down for my beer tonight. I wasn’t going to have one but now will.

I remember thinking he looked well and began to sound well has he commentated the latter parts of the Masters.

I will hold the glass as high as I can tonight.

Did you have that beer?

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
people considered Peter Allis to be very Marmite - I loved his commentary personally and will miss his entertaining words. RIP

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As with all great commentators they had a way of making you feel like you were there with the players, be it the aforementioned Bill McClaren,or Brian Johnston, or Peter O'Sullivan or Dan Maskel to name but a few .
With P A you not only got the golf commentary but also his anecdotes on golfers of old .
He will be sorely missed when watching the open next year.
RIP Mr Golf Peter Allis.

Was lucky enough to play golf with Dan Maskell and he spoke exactly the same way as he commentated. Warm clipped tones and when he was talking as we wandered around the course, he simply drew you into the conversation. Peter Alliss was exactly the same and I could have listened to him talking on any subject with his own wit and that warm voice

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Sad to hear of his passing. Fond memories watching the masters and the open with his fine commentary on the bbc. Sad in recent years the bbc decided to severely cut funding for golf and with Aliss ageing the product suffered badly. The finest golf commentator and has left a mark on many people. RIP.

Hoganman1

Visit site
To all my friends across the pond, I mourn with you the loss of this golf icon. Peter was the a true gentleman and one of my favorite commentators for decades. The Open Championship won't be the same without him. He definitely filled the shoes of the great Henry Longhurst who was his mentor.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Pro-celebrity golf challenge for the Marley Trophy (a piece of cut glass) at Gleneagles was magical. Hosted by Allis and featuring the likes of Lee Trevino and Jerry Pate.
I can still remember some of tips that Trevino passed on.
It switched to Turnberry but later without Allis it was never quite the same.
No doubt he kindled or rekindled a lot of interest in golf.
Sadly most of the celebrity players have also passed away.
And these days, with golf being purely money driven, it could never happen again.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hope the BBC can dig out a comment about a golfer who won 9 majors + 9 more on the senior tour.
Aliss: "The little rascal" when playing at St Andrews in the Open I think.
What other commentator could have said that?

(Gary Player).

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Hope the BBC can dig out a comment about a golfer who won 9 majors + 9 more on the senior tour.
Aliss: "The little rascal" when playing at St Andrews in the Open I think.
What other commentator could have said that?

(Gary Player).

I think it's here but is currently blocked for some reason, maybe someone complained about one of the comments.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/golf/55210381

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
An Evening with Peter Allis currently showing on bbc1. Hopefully that now means it will be on the iplayer for those who don't catch it now.

@Traminator I know you wanted to be alerted if this came on.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

I missed an Evening with Peter Allis the first time it was on , watched it earlier , really great watch and it always surprises me to hear how good a golfer he actually was.