Peter Allis RIP

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just read that. So sad. Loved his soft tone and reminded me of my Dad as he was so golf-obsessed that it was on TV every minute it was on TV.

RIP...

D

Deleted member 15344

Gutted - a true legend and icon of the sport

Many of us will have grown up on golf with him as the main commentator

The Open and The Masters have never been the same without him behind the mic

His commentary when Lyle was winning the Masters and then Faldo and Norman battle , and no one can ever forget the VDV commentary

Still have a little giggle at the Zach Johnson kitchen comments ?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I will raise my glass to him when I sit down for my beer tonight. I wasn’t going to have one but now will.

I remember thinking he looked well and began to sound well has he commentated the latter parts of the Masters.

I will hold the glass as high as I can tonight.

U

User62651

Sad news, always had a quip or turn of phrase that was tongue in cheek or a little naughty. Perfect for a genteel game like golf.
Was best before the Tiger Woods era, never really embraced the athleticism and technology gains of the modern game I think.
Those early Ryder Cup wins in 85 and 87 I think he really enjoyed, the commentary was biased of course but still sportsman like.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
.... so many of my 'voices' of the sports I've loved are disappearing... 'A round with Alliss' being one of my fav programmes at a time when golf didn't get the exposure we all craved. Thanks for so many memories... RIP...

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
He may not have been everyone's cup of tea, especially later in life, but for an awful lot of people he was the voice of Golf.
RIP

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Very sad to hear this.
Hard to believe but he was a bit of a rebel back in the day, he was also one of the first British Pros who was purely a playing Pro without attachment to a club and all its obligations.

If the weather is half decent on Tuesday I think I'll play my Slazenger Peter Alliss irons in his memory.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A sad day indeed. Absolutely brilliant commentator and master of a good raconteur.

He didnt sound well when commentating on the Masters a couple of weeks ago.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I seem to remember that Peter Alliss credited Henry Loghurst for the advice that "good golf doesn't need talking about". And at times he did just that; talked about the golf without talking about the golf. He was a joy to listen to, had a devilish wit to him and his love for the game was obvious. I happened to be watching the match when he came out with the Carol Vorderman quote; absolutely priceless. On the one occasion I was fortunate enough to meet him he was an absolute gentleman and made the time to chat, treating me like an old friend. We have been privileged to have him commentate on golf for us.

Thanks for some wonderful memories Peter, rest in peace sir.