Pete Finch on Sky

D

Deleted member 15344

I like him. Often watch his vids. Most are good, the odd one might be on something I'm not interested in. Rather watch him than most of the others.
His vlogs and his mate Rick are ones that I watch on the odd occasions, enjoy their challenges especially the golfbidder ones or the mystery bag etc - some enjoyable stuff.

They seemed to enjoy themselves but they could be a bit traumatised after playing with Fish , Slasher and Homer 😲

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Just catching up with last nights golf. Rob Lee - wooden and well past it. Finch well below standard. Who is that female Penny Crayon lookalike? Absolutely horrendous. And they are increasing prices despite offering dross commentary/analysis like that.

Will not be renewing my Sky Sports sub after the Masters. Simply diabolical product on offer. The sooner we get more streaming events the better.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
In Finch's defence and something he has already put on social media, he was petrified of being in front of the live cameras for the first time and I think that came across. Still think his enthusiasm and knowledge came over and still better than Roe

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In Finch's defence and something he has already put on social media, he was petrified of being in front of the live cameras for the first time and I think that came across. Still think his enthusiasm and knowledge came over and still better than Roe

I was thinking the same, anyone better than Roe. I remember Dan Whittaker doing a stint some time ago, wonder if these are meant to be one offs or sky trialling potential new pundits to become regulars.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I was thinking the same, anyone better than Roe. I remember Dan Whittaker doing a stint some time ago, wonder if these are meant to be one offs or sky trialling potential new pundits to become regulars.

Personally I believe in Nick Dougherty, and Andrew Coltart that they already have two excellent presenters who are both knowledgeable and come across very well. From a female perspective you have to look no further than Dame Laura Davies who is also very very good. Build around a good core and enhance your product don't roll out any old rubbish and charge more for the privilege.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Who is the chubby looking coach they have on? Can't think of his name off the top of my head but he's a regular. He's crap too. I saw Dan Whittaker on there a few weeks back and he did look and come over as really nervous. They could be trialling a few. Don't like Coltart as he seems to want to come over as being funny all the time and just don't like listening to him. I use to like Denis Pugh especially in the shot zone as he had a really simple way of explaining or demonstrating the swing. I think Dougherty will become a really good presenter and hope they put Livingstone out to grass soon on the big events

D

Deleted member 18588

Do you mean the vast knowledge of the professional game that he gleaned from the driving range?

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Who is the chubby looking coach they have on? Can't think of his name off the top of my head but he's a regular. He's crap too. I saw Dan Whittaker on there a few weeks back and he did look and come over as really nervous. They could be trialling a few. Don't like Coltart as he seems to want to come over as being funny all the time and just don't like listening to him. I use to like Denis Pugh especially in the shot zone as he had a really simple way of explaining or demonstrating the swing. I think Dougherty will become a really good presenter and hope they put Livingstone out to grass soon on the big events

Believe you were trying to think of Simon Holmes, Homer

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Flicked on the TV last and it cut to the studio and the hitting area. Rob Lee was there and some bloke standing extremely awkwardly was opposite him, staring at the camera with a weird smile making me feel very uncomfortable!

Realised it was Finch, couldn't for the life of me work out why he was standing / postured like he was. Thought he did okay, was nervous for sure, as he would keep forgetting to smile when others were talking, then suddenly it would appear. Needs to find a more natural screen presence. Not sure the old contacts are working for him either. Hopefully he can grow into the roll, still a bit to go.

Then it cut to Sophie Walker to hit a shot.

D

Deleted member 1147

I thought Finch came across well. He may have been nervous, but anyone who isn't used to being on live telly would do too.
His explanation on Spieth's swing, what makes him good with irons & wedges and struggle with driver, was interesting and well delivered.
Howell, I believe will one day make a very good full time addition to Sky's team, as & when he gives up playing.

My only issue with how they do the golf on sky is that I just think the presenter needs to ask the right questions to the right guest - Finch is a teacher, so ask him about the mechanics of someones game, and Howeller was the player, so ask him about playing on tour at the top level.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site

Livingstone retired last year. How someone with such strong opinions isn't aware of that I'll never know.

A real loss in my opinion, although Dougherty is a very good replacement.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mate of mine knows him from his days at the Shropshire golf course as a pro and also as part time reporter for the local rag.
I"d not seen the coverage but he commented that he didn't come over well and was a bit wooden .

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
No idea what having opinions has to do with up to date and intimate knowledge of the Sky golf current presentation rota

Intimate? Did you watch any of the FedEx Cup and/or Ryder Cup on Sky? It was made very clear he was retiring at the end of the season. If you didn't, then perhaps you shouldn't have a million posts on a golf forum. Have you not wondered where he has been for the last 6 months?!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Intimate? Did you watch any of the FedEx Cup and/or Ryder Cup on Sky? It was made very clear he was retiring at the end of the season. If you didn't, then perhaps you shouldn't have a million posts on a golf forum. Have you not wondered where he has been for the last 6 months?!
Tend to stick to watching the golf and not his waffling in the studio. Cheap snidey comment regarding post counts (not the first, won't be the last). No loss for me as I didn't like him. Shame he didn't take McGinley who is another who brings little to a studio panel (or commentary box)