Personal top 10 vocalists; no judging or criteria

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Hard though, isn't it? ?. You want to, you know you want to, but the title says no. Maybe judgement should be allowed from tomorrow onwards. Store it up and the let rip ?. Down to BiM though, it's his thread.

Problem is though that these threads are probably the most subjective we've ever had...there may well be someone on here who love Bob Dylan's voice...personally I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than listen to him but if someone likes him then he's on the list...

I had a brief discussion with Beezerk via another thread about criteria, but to be honest, which of us on here are technically proficient enough to pass judgement on people who are making a living at this lark? Hence it's your top 10 for your reasons. If you want to add explanation or justification :) there's nothing to stop you, might even promote some further discussion, but I'm not sure how the vast majority on here who can't even sort out their own golf swings can comment on the abilities of professional musicians making a decent living. ;)

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Right, as LT said it's my thread, I'm going to blatantly cheat as I simply can't get this down to 10, so...

Adele
Aretha Franklin
Beth Hart
Carole King
Alison Krauss
Annie Lennox
Stevie Nicks
Nina Simone
Tina Turner
Lee Ann Womack

and

Roger Daltrey
David Gates
Marvin Gaye
Don Henley
Mick Jagger
Michael McDonald
William "Smokey" Robinson
Paul Rodgers
James Taylor
Steve Winwood

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had a brief discussion with Beezerk via another thread about criteria, but to be honest, which of us on here are technically proficient enough to pass judgement on people who are making a living at this lark? Hence it's your top 10 for your reasons. If you want to add explanation or justification :) there's nothing to stop you, might even promote some further discussion, but I'm not sure how the vast majority on here who can't even sort out their own golf swings can comment on the abilities of professional musicians making a decent living. ;)
Do you mean we are supposed to be technically proficient or knowledgeable on a subject before posting ?. Is that a new rule? You have just slashed thread lengths in one go there ?

I haven't posted on the other top 10's quite deliberately as my musical knowledge is not technical enough to pick out best drummers, guitarists etc. Singers allows any old numpty to join in though as we all hear them clearly and distinctively, although not necessarily with knowhow. It's like the football thread really ?

As you say, a professional musician would pick out the best with the added knowledge they have, a friend of my wifes sings professionally in the region and they went to see Sister Act with Alexandra Burke recently. At the end she was disgusted, 'she phoned that in tonight, she couldn't be bothered'. My wife thought she was fine ?.

It's all for fun, a good series of threads ?

Last edited:

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Noel Gallagher
Frank Sinatra
Pavarotti
Aaron Lewis
Hannah Reid
Chris Rea
Chris de Burgh
Tom Grennan
Austin Howard
George Michael

Ive probably got more but these are singers who’s music I enjoy listening to.
As you can tell, I enjoy all sorts depending on my mood ?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
David Byrne
Peter Gabriel
Carmel (McCourt)
Cyndi Lauper
Elkie Brookes
Cerys Matthews
Van Morrison
Ruth Pointer
Neil Diamond
David Bowie

I dare say there are technically better & talented singers, but these, I just love their voice & delivery.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Prince (who would be top 10 in just about any list, guitarist, songwriter, producer etc)
Billy Bragg
John Lydon
Guy Garvey
Rod Stewart
Tom Waits
Paul Heaton
Thom Yorke
Kurt Cobain
Neil Finn

And honorable mentions to Kate Bush, Billie Marten and Elizabeth Fraser

Last edited:

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Problem is though that these threads are probably the most subjective we've ever had...there may well be someone on here who love Bob Dylan's voice...personally I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than listen to him but if someone likes him then he's on the list...
Ironic coming from the man whose first pick on his list is that screeching banshee Geddy Lee.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Do you mean we are supposed to be technically proficient or knowledgeable on a subject before posting ?. Is that a new rule? You have just slashed thread lengths in one go there ?

I thought we could try it as a novelty item, see if it catches on. ;)

I haven't posted on the other top 10's quite deliberately as my musical knowledge is not technical enough to pick out best drummers, guitarists etc. Singers allows any old numpty to join in though as we all hear them clearly and distinctively, although not necessarily with knowhow.

That's the whole point, they only need to be your choice, no criteria applied, no justification required (unless you want to). They don't have to be the most technically proficient, you just have to like them. (y)

It's like the football thread really ?
Please God, no; if I've started another 5 of those Fragger will excommunicate me. :eek:

As you say, a professional musician would pick out the best with the added knowledge they have, a friend of my wifes sings professionally in the region and they went to see Sister Act with Alexandra Burke recently. At the end she was disgusted, 'she phoned that in tonight, she couldn't be bothered'. My wife thought she was fine ?.

It's all for fun, a good series of threads ?

Glad you're enjoying them, now get stuck into the others. :)

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Whitney Houston
Celine Dion
Rick Astley
Tony Hadley
Noddy Holder
Andy Bell
Huey Lewis
Alexander O'Neal
Richard Page (Mr Mister)