People entering a club knockout competition then faffing about claiming limited availability when it comes to arranging matches.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I think the solution is to be pro-active.

Take the initiative and message / contact people early. Especially if you are looking for 4 players diaries to match up.

I will try and message someone with 3 or 4 dates in mind and give them the option. So that it would be completely unreasonable for them to come back and say, sorry we can't make those dates.

I really enjoy the matchplay events as I always feel I have the chance to beat anyone on the day, so I don't want to ever get into a situation where we only have a few days left to play and I have work or family commitments.

I've never had to do this, but I would always hope to have sufficient time to rearrange at short notice if the weather was going to be a problem. Worst case scenario is leaving it till the last minute and having to play in torrential rain.

Obviously you will still get people acting it, but then you have to go by the book to get yourself a walkover, then so be it.

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
my grip is that our Seniors knockouts are open to all members over 55, below the retirement age, so when ever I have entered, unless I am drawn against some else who is still working, I get all sorts of complaints about availability ust because they have retired. As has been said in other replies the rules about availability need to be clearly stated on the entry poster, so those entering know there will be players who have to fit it around working an not just assume because they are retired we everyone else has to fit around them

mister v

Visit site
just going through this right now..... the draw has been made and we had 33 days to play the tie, i emailed dates across the day yhr draw was made and have been knocked back on all of them, then they offer us a saturday when one of our biggest medal comps of the season is on!
Im going to let the competitions secretary sort it out....

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have always given my availability as soon as the draw is made and give a range of dates I can play. It still takes a huge effort sometimes to try and get it arranged. I don't know if thats because people enter and forget and have other things planned (in which case surely it's easier to say I can't play rather than make the opponent jump through hoops trying to sort a game) or they like to be awkward. To be fair, our captains are usually pretty proactive at dealing with gripes and issues and so things do get resolved. Always something hollow in a walk over win

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I stopped playing in club knockouts about 20 years ago because I got fed up trying to arrange dates.

Matters cam to a head on year.

One guy never once returned about 5 phone messages on his answer phone and he won the toss of the coin.

I then drew a guy in another comp who when contacted said he could only play after 3 pm on a Saturday and no other days and blow me when I drew the same guy in a third comp later in the year.

As the competitions organiser for the club the drop off of the number entering club knockouts has been very noticeable in recent years.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
A couple of years ago the committee even put the dates each round would need to be completed on the entry sheet. Still didn't stop our opponents in the first round of the foursomes signing up despite being on holiday for 5 out of the 4 weeks, and making contact halfway through the first week saying we needed to play either tomorrow (Thursday) or Friday which was great for us, both working during the week, luckily there was a Saturday afternoon after the first had returned from his holiday that morning and before the second went on holiday that evening where we could play. Sad to say I maintained my foursomes record perfectly.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We actually have a qualifying stableford comp where the top 64 go on to the knock outs of the singles. Only 65 players entered. Haha 1 unlucky soul.

I didn't bother as I am in the pairs and a club team event. That's enough for me. Can't be bothered with arranging any other games.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That's the reason I gave up with the pairs competition, arranging 2 people's diaries seems to be difficult enough as you point out, 4 seemed to be impossible most of the time.

This, 100% this. Last year was the final nail in the coffin for pairs k/o matches.

Our club allow you to play your matches in with the roll ups, but you’re only allowed to enter the nearest the pins, this is to keep the game in the spirit of matchplay

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I run a pit KO when our pit closed, about 70 lads in it. It went well apart from one guy who was late in three rounds. I said to him if he is late for the semis I will give it to opponent, they played it on the last day. He won the final. Didn't go down to well with the faffing about he did.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Yep...some odd behaviours about. If you enter a comp, don’t be shocked if other people can’t play at your exact preferred time...

I am sure there’s a bunch at our place who are shocked if you work full time and don’t live within 500 yards of the course

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To counter the 'arranging problem' we have made our individual, better ball and foursomes knockouts as 9 hole comps up to the semi final stage this year. The semis and finals will be played over 18 holes. This is just an experiment this year but we have already seen an increase in the entrants for all 3 comps.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our knockouts are run on a strict "no extensions" policy - if there's no name on the sheet by the "complete by" date, then both sides DQ As soon as the draw goes up, l send the opposition a list of my/our "can't do" dates and suggest they chooae any day except those. If l don't respond, l re-contact with some suggested dates of my own - with the proviso that if they don't pick one or don't respond, then l'll be claiming the match. Usually gets a reply.

Moral - always get yourself on the front foot.

But as regards the OP, yes, its a right royal pain, and one wonders why some people enter ...

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I like the “can’t agree to a date then your both out” but it seems unfair if one side is freely available, maybe they should get their money back...

This issue will never go away until we all have flexible working.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
As many, I have given up entering the knockout comps. It's just too much agg. Every excuse under the sun usually gets trotted out.

As with any solution, the below may be worth a try, thing is to get the entrants to accept the terms before the start of the comp.

The first named duo in the tie, have to offer a date for every week remaining in the round, minimum of 2 weekends. If none are agreeable, then the two who are on the tee at 10am on the closing date, go through.

I don't like the coin toss as an obstructive pair can go through against a pair bending over backwards to play the match.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As many, I have given up entering the knockout comps. It's just too much agg. Every excuse under the sun usually gets trotted out.

As with any solution, the below may be worth a try, thing is to get the entrants to accept the terms before the start of the comp.

The first named duo in the tie, have to offer a date for every week remaining in the round, minimum of 2 weekends. If none are agreeable, then the two who are on the tee at 10am on the closing date, go through.

I don't like the coin toss as an obstructive pair can go through against a pair bending over backwards to play the match.

Problem is everything could be manipulated - give 5 weeks of free dates but can't play on the final closing date as on holiday, then the other pair can just be awkward and wait till the day. Why anybody would I have no idea but others commenting seems to suggest it happens regularly.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This really annoys me. If you enter a knockout competition then it's only good manners to make sure you are available to commit to playing within the stipulated time deadline (certainly in the first round at the very least).

OK, as a knockout progresses over a period of months then it may 'just possibly' be acceptable, if unforeseen circumstances arise and you struggle to play a match you've arranged, to agree a new date with your opponent/s, but if you cannot arrange to play the match before the cut-off then it's only right and fitting that you, as the defaulting party / parties, award the game to your opponent/s.

No one wants to win by walkover however those who habitually try and extend deadlines seem to think that their time is more important than that of their opponents. It also compromises people further down the draw giving them less time to arrange their next round match if they have to wait for an opponent/s courtesy of an overdue completion from the previous round.

GRRR!:mad::mad:
We have a clear cut off date. No extensions! For any reason if you put your name down you should be avaliable on the last date to play.
Usually Sunday if you can’t agree a date?
Example ( Sunday 11th March for first round ,at 11am )
If you turn up and op dosnt you put name through and vice versa.
If both turn up you play.
No body turns up both are out.
There are no exceptions for anybody.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
This really annoys me. If you enter a knockout competition then it's only good manners to make sure you are available to commit to playing within the stipulated time deadline (certainly in the first round at the very least).

OK, as a knockout progresses over a period of months then it may 'just possibly' be acceptable, if unforeseen circumstances arise and you struggle to play a match you've arranged, to agree a new date with your opponent/s, but if you cannot arrange to play the match before the cut-off then it's only right and fitting that you, as the defaulting party / parties, award the game to your opponent/s.

No one wants to win by walkover however those who habitually try and extend deadlines seem to think that their time is more important than that of their opponents. It also compromises people further down the draw giving them less time to arrange their next round match if they have to wait for an opponent/s courtesy of an overdue completion from the previous round.

GRRR!:mad::mad:
This was the most frustrating issue when I ran competitions at an old club (perhaps apart from HDID in their pre internet enabled/3.5" Floppy machine!).

The only was to solve it was to, generally, DQ both parties if the match wasn't played before/on the due date!