People entering a club knockout competition then faffing about claiming limited availability when it comes to arranging matches.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
This really annoys me. If you enter a knockout competition then it's only good manners to make sure you are available to commit to playing within the stipulated time deadline (certainly in the first round at the very least).

OK, as a knockout progresses over a period of months then it may 'just possibly' be acceptable, if unforeseen circumstances arise and you struggle to play a match you've arranged, to agree a new date with your opponent/s, but if you cannot arrange to play the match before the cut-off then it's only right and fitting that you, as the defaulting party / parties, award the game to your opponent/s.

No one wants to win by walkover however those who habitually try and extend deadlines seem to think that their time is more important than that of their opponents. It also compromises people further down the draw giving them less time to arrange their next round match if they have to wait for an opponent/s courtesy of an overdue completion from the previous round.

GRRR!:mad::mad:

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Agree, but most clubs should surely have a clear and unambiguous procedure to deal with issues - such as a challenger book.

If clubs are just leaving this up to the 2 players to sort out, then there will always be some who can never agree on something fair and reasonable.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes, agree Grant, and indeed thankfully ours does. However it still doesn't sometimes stop people trying it on then feeling hard done by when they are told the rules.

My post wasn't relating to me specifically on this occasion, but the issue has certainly cropped up once or twice over the years, and is also the reason I now enter very few, YB.

I prefer inter-club matches or stroke play comps where this can't become an issue

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes, agree Grant, and indeed thankfully ours does. However it still doesn't sometimes stop people trying it on then feeling hard done by when they are told the rules.

My post wasn't relating to me specifically on this occasion, but the issue has certainly cropped up once or twice over the years, and is also the reason I now enter very few, YB.

I prefer inter-club matches or stroke play comps where this can't become an issue

I pretty much agree Johnny, and haven't entered any knockout comps in the summer for some years because of the difficulty of getting, especially single figure handicap players, to arrange games. This summer I've entered the single and pairs knockout so time will tell but I'm not holding my breath.

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
It's a nightmare scenario for me too,why do they enter??At ours because of people being difficult, unreasonable or plainly trying to manipulate the system and encourage a concession a few years back they introduced and enforce a simple policy.If the tie isn't played in the window (usually 3-4 weeks) both players/teams are out, regardless of reasons.

Its certainly helped people get on with making time although there are still a few who try it on.

HamiltonGuy

Visit site
It's a nightmare scenario for me too,why do they enter??At ours because of people being difficult, unreasonable or plainly trying to manipulate the system and encourage a concession a few years back they introduced and enforce a simple policy.If the tie isn't played in the window (usually 3-4 weeks) both players/teams are out, regardless of reasons.

Its certainly helped people get on with making time although there are still a few who try it on.

Seems unfair if one group are more than reasonable but the other isn’t. At ours the first drawn has to provide 3 dates to the opposition for it to be played including at least one weekend

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It can be a royal pain the backside to arrange matches. It isn't so bad at my club (and my participation rarely lasts more than a round) but its one of the reasons I stopped playing some of these national knockouts as the people there either assume no-one works and are only free weekday mornings or seem so busy its impossible to get a date arranged. At my club if the match isn't played on time or a special dispensation sought from the captain, both get DQ'd. Harsh but seems to be acting as a motivation and things do seem to be getting better

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
We have a number of members who work offshore, they're a nightmare. "I can't play for the next 3 weeks because I'm away", "I can't play just now because I've just got home & I'm out of practice". I gave up the 4BBB knockout years ago & no longer play in the singles.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
agree, not sure why some bother putting their names down TBH.

I'v already had one guy concede, list went up with draw and closing date for 1st game to be played by. list went up 15th April, first game to be played by 26th June, 2 and half months and can't organise one night to play!!!!

you also get guys who just play silly buggers hoping you will concede, so the club changed the rules so both parties are responsible for organising and you must offer 3 dates at least one being a weekend.

I don't sort the dates anymore for the green somes and foursomes ties, my PP does that, that was the proviso when i agreed to play

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
This came up the other day at an inter-club match when we were chatting at lunch. it seems that after slow play it's a major cause of frustration with many club members.

Virtually all eight of us at our table (from both clubs) said that we had by and large dropped out of these types of comps for this reason.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I used to play the knockouts when I was a full member and, yes, it was a PITA trying to get dates.
Since I've become a 5-dayer I haven't bothered due to my inability to play weekends.
When I look at the draw sheets on the notice board there's always matches that have overrun the deadline.
Is it because there's too much golf available sometimes..?
Medals, stablefords, greensomes, bogey, foursomes, club matches......some clubs have massive fixture lists and, of course, people have limited time
They need to pick and choose but some people just enter everything.
Oh to have such a choice....:(

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This seems to be a problem everywhere- does anyone have any good solutions?! What does your club do that helps alleviate the issue?

Would it be a good idea to have one Saturday and one Sunday per month set aside to play matches? That way when the draw comes out you could just say “how’s knockout Saturday the 15th for you?” and if it doesn’t suit the ball would be rolling immediately on figuring out another date?

It’s a perennial problem at mine, plus people only out their home phone in the diary and are never there! Surely a mobile and or email is better and proof you’ve made contact? It’s rubbish ringing someone at home late when they might have kids etc, and I can count on one finger the number of times my opponent has rung me first

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Seems unfair if one group are more than reasonable but the other isn’t. At ours the first drawn has to provide 3 dates to the opposition for it to be played including at least one weekend

It's the only way (imo)to encourage everyone to commit to making time or why bother? I agree it's unfair but can't think of another way to get people focused on why they entered in the first place.
My partner and I had a guy email us last Xmas eve after a week or two of back and forth trying to organise a winter greensomes stating that as they'd been the first ones to email us and we couldn't play on the first available date they offered(we countered with 3 dates ,they refused) then, sadly"but these things happen" They will be claiming the tie and wished us a happy Xmas!! I responded with a very short explanation of club policy and clear intent not to concede and we can all go out.Within minutes we had a response,a date and went on to hump them 6&5,a delightful feeling holing out on 13 and wishing them a happy new year 😎

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I find it annoying when an knockout opponent wants to play the match at the very latest possible date. It leaves no room for life or nature getting in the way.

D

Deleted member 15344

This seems to be a problem everywhere- does anyone have any good solutions?! What does your club do that helps alleviate the issue?

Would it be a good idea to have one Saturday and one Sunday per month set aside to play matches? That way when the draw comes out you could just say “how’s knockout Saturday the 15th for you?” and if it doesn’t suit the ball would be rolling immediately on figuring out another date?

It’s a perennial problem at mine, plus people only out their home phone in the diary and are never there! Surely a mobile and or email is better and proof you’ve made contact? It’s rubbish ringing someone at home late when they might have kids etc, and I can count on one finger the number of times my opponent has rung me first
There is no solution

You have to rely on humans acting sensibly and with common sense.

Forcing people to play on certain days restricts entry and also closes the course

Ours is simple - arrange a date , if you can’t arrange one be on the day 2 pm on the last day - if opponent turns up you play , if he doesn’t you claim the match , if no result is on the board the day after the end date - both DQ

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have a number of members who work offshore, they're a nightmare. "I can't play for the next 3 weeks because I'm away", "I can't play just now because I've just got home & I'm out of practice". I gave up the 4BBB knockout years ago & no longer play in the singles.
What sort of person enters the knock-out if they know they'll be away for weeks at a time?? Dear oh dear.

I've entered a pairs match play for the first time for this year. So I have all this to look forward to.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not entered the pairs this year as the only thing more difficult than organising a match with 1 person is organising one with 3. Was an absolute nightmare last year, and the singles hasn't been much easier so far this year. Made it clear from the day the draw was out that I was away the last 3 weekends of the window available to play and still not had concrete confirmation of a date, and this weekend is our last chance. Great fun.

Dogma

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I had this the other week when trying to arrange a pairsomes against our opponents.

Both of them are retired and only wanted to play weekday mornings. I'm 34 and work and it just didn't seem to click to them that I couldn't do it.

I'm a day rate contractor too and even suggested playing a Friday afternoon (taking a half day and losing money!) to play it, which they weren't interested in.

Ended up playing Bank Holiday Monday afternoon and even heard a few comments from them such as 'I never play golf at this sort of time, only in the mornings' :ROFLMAO:

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It is unreal at times;

I've had to take time off work to play a winter tie 'as I have a regular game at the weekends I don't want to miss'.

I emailed and suggested mid week either after work or taking a half day. I said I would rather not play the weekend but could if he needed. He picked the weekend time, turns out he's retired and could play anytime.

Been given the tie because it's raining (barely)

Have to play in the afternoon during the mid week medal, putting a 4 ball in the middle of prime medal time and missing the medal as well.

It's hardly worth it.