People entering a club knockout competition then faffing about claiming limited availability when it comes to arranging matches.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Firstly, when we entered we had no idea when the deadlines would be for each round. Secondly, there was a delay in the first round being drawn as they delayed the entry deadline to get more people entered. So between now and the deadline, my partner has a one week holiday booked (takes out a weekend plus a bank hol Monday), and the weekend after he's back is Club Champs when we play Saturday and Sunday so can't so it then either.
Just bumping this as I finally have this match tonight now - originally pencilled in for Saturday (tomorrow) but one of our opponents said he has to work Saturday now. I've actually taken this afternoon off work to get the match done before the deadline! Can't complain about having an afternoon off, but I might be a bit tired after staying up til 1am watching the US, then up at 6:30 this morning. Doh. :sleep:

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I actually had an issue with a singles tie the other week.

We agreed to play on the Wednesday afternoon. Guy messages me on the Tuesday to say, looks like rain - can we swing it till Thursday. I agreed.

Thursday at 1130 messages me saying 'that's the rain on and is forecast to stay on. If that's the case, then I won't play'.

Messaged back saying Friday forecast worse and I can't play Saturday or Sunday. We should just play today as deadline was the Sunday night.

He said he wears glasses and wouldn't be able to see.

I said - in that case I'll just have to put myself through.

He then comes back with, 'rules are you have to offer a weekend and as you can't play at the weekend, I should go through'.

Spoke to the pro and told him the story - he said he felt I should go through due to his late call off, but would have to go to committee. Opponent had already made representation asking for an extension saying about me being unable to play at the weekend, without saying he pulled out at a few hours notice due to rain.

Match sec phoned me to see if I could play the following week. I said, I could but not till Wednesday. Explained to him the chat about the rain. He phoned me back to say I had been awarded the tie.

Imagine entering a golf competition in the west of Scotland and not being able to play in the rain!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
What a load of rubbish, not being able to play in the rain due to wearing glasses. A cap keeps the worst off and a cleaning cloth or even a piece of kitchen roll is all that is needed for a quick wipe clean. I play in glasses and the rain has never been an issue.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Draw came out weird for me this year (I'll be A)
Pairs knockout A + B vs. C + D
Singles knockout A vs. C and B vs. D

C didn't put any contact details on the board, and is quite new to the club. I finally tracked him down with only 2 weeks left before deadline. He didn't want to play first week as club champs upcoming, and then only available Mon - Thur in final week.
So I ended up arranging both ties, Singles on Tue, Pairs on Thur.

On Monday, he says forecast looks bad for Tuesday, can we play both single and pairs at same time on Thursday :-(
I resist, and Tuesday goes ahead, with the rain holding off as it happens.
Come Thursday, it hoses down for probably 12+ holes.
And we lost.
But did at least progress in the singles. (& B beat D also)

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I played my knockout in the pishing rain last Friday and won. Two men who were due out the time before us tossed a coin in the car park as they don't like playing in the rain:rolleyes:

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
I had my main matchplay event, I spoke to the guy in early May and the cut off is 24th June and we have managed to arrange it for the final day allowed #Unbelielable course is currently closed due to a flooded river. no stress then o_O

D

Deleted member 3432

I actually had an issue with a singles tie the other week.

We agreed to play on the Wednesday afternoon. Guy messages me on the Tuesday to say, looks like rain - can we swing it till Thursday. I agreed.

Thursday at 1130 messages me saying 'that's the rain on and is forecast to stay on. If that's the case, then I won't play'.

Messaged back saying Friday forecast worse and I can't play Saturday or Sunday. We should just play today as deadline was the Sunday night.

He said he wears glasses and wouldn't be able to see.

I said - in that case I'll just have to put myself through.

He then comes back with, 'rules are you have to offer a weekend and as you can't play at the weekend, I should go through'.

Spoke to the pro and told him the story - he said he felt I should go through due to his late call off, but would have to go to committee. Opponent had already made representation asking for an extension saying about me being unable to play at the weekend, without saying he pulled out at a few hours notice due to rain.

Match sec phoned me to see if I could play the following week. I said, I could but not till Wednesday. Explained to him the chat about the rain. He phoned me back to say I had been awarded the tie.

Imagine entering a golf competition in the west of Scotland and not being able to play in the rain!

In my experience the best way to deal with a situation like this is to insist on playing the game on the agreed date. If your opponent doesn't fancy the weather conditions its easy enough to concede the tie.

Playing the nice guy and agreeing to requests to re-arrange for micky mouse reasons such as rain always backfire as chancers like this will think they can try it on.

Glad I don't bother with knockout comps these days, more bother than they are worth.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
What a load of rubbish, not being able to play in the rain due to wearing glasses. A cap keeps the worst off and a cleaning cloth or even a piece of kitchen roll is all that is needed for a quick wipe clean. I play in glasses and the rain has never been an issue.
Crazy. I struggle at times in heavy rain with my glasses but a couple of dry clothes in the bag and a waterproof cap and grin and bear it and just get on with it