Pencil Putting Grip

Vardon11LDN

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Following on from yesterday's thread regarding starting my putting from scratch I went home with new putter in hand and started. The first thing I wanted to do was establish which grip works best for me. After trying 4-5 variations one was standing out and I was quite suprised. The pencil grip (a l Sergio Garcia) enabled me to bring the putter back and through much straighter than before. I was wondering if anyone on here uses the pencil grip and what their thoughts are?

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Following on from yesterday's thread regarding starting my putting from scratch I went home with new putter in hand and started. The first thing I wanted to do was establish which grip works best for me. After trying 4-5 variations one was standing out and I was quite suprised. The pencil grip (a l Sergio Garcia) enabled me to bring the putter back and through much straighter than before. I was wondering if anyone on here uses the pencil grip and what their thoughts are?

Yes I use it as a slight variation of the claw grip. In my case I was forced to use it by developing a bad case of the yips, but I think I putt better with it than I did before with a reverse overlap grip. Definitely reduces wrist rotation.

dronfield

Visit site
Just wondered if in the 3 years since this thread was started whether more folk on here are now using this, or the claw grip - particularly on back of success of Fleetwood, Rose and Garcia?
i currently putt left hand low, but have been missing several short putts due possibly to my right hand taking over - reading stuff, it appears main advantage of these 2 grips is that it takes hands out of stroke and works purely on shoulder rocking.
Can understand this style working well for short putts - what is it like on longer putts, distance feel etc. I don't paticularly want to have to resort to potentially using two putting grips on a hole.

Rich

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Have you had a putting lesson before?
It might help you keep your hands working together.
Or you could invest in one of the many training aids out there to help your putting :whistle:

dronfield

Visit site
Have you had a putting lesson before?
It might help you keep your hands working together.
Or you could invest in one of the many training aids out there to help your putting :whistle:

Cheers Bob, i have had putting lessons, and my fault could be a number of things; alignment, stroke path or hand involvement. My gut feeling is its my right hand causing putts to be pushed right and so i thought the pencil/claw grip may be a solution.

Was just looking for input from folks now putting this way - looks like i have inadvertently opened a thread made by ex members no longer on the forum!

Visit site
Recently I bought the putter Justin Rose uses, with my normal grip right below left it seemed OK, but I didn't think I was holing enough. So i looked into Roses grip and also Fleetwoods as well. After trying out both I actually prefer a similar grip to Fleetwoods, as it helps locking the wrists out which helps lessening the arc a little and that's been backed up by Blast Motion data. I struggle on the longer putts of over 45ft, but I'm happy to revert back to right below left which makes me hit the sweet spot better then the pencil/claw grip.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I tried every grip going but the pencil or claw feels really weak for me - I think it's because I'm very right hand dominant, so without a firm right hand on the grip I feel like the putter is waving all over the place.

dronfield

Visit site
I tried every grip going but the pencil or claw feels really weak for me - I think it's because I'm very right hand dominant, so without a firm right hand on the grip I feel like the putter is waving all over the place.

That was my concern re longer putts - whether i would end up leaving them all short, due to basically only holding the putter with the left hand with pencil/claw grip. Can see the benefits of this style on shorter putts, where i dont want right hand influencing the stroke path.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That was my concern re longer putts - whether i would end up leaving them all short, due to basically only holding the putter with the left hand with pencil/claw grip. Can see the benefits of this style on shorter putts, where i dont want right hand influencing the stroke path.
Even that I don't think would work for me. I reckon if I hit 10 one-handed putts with just the left hand, and 10 one-handed putts with just the right hand, the right hand ones would be better overall.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
I used for years when I was playing, started using it to stop my right hand rotation through the stroke and pulling putts.

Find it easier with a blade type putter than big mallets

dronfield

Visit site
I used for years when I was playing, started using it to stop my right hand rotation through the stroke and pulling putts.

Find it easier with a blade type putter than big mallets

That was my thinking re stopping the right hand becoming active.

Sev - did you use this method on longer putts? Any issues re feel/distance control?

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
That was my thinking re stopping the right hand becoming active.

Sev - did you use this method on longer putts? Any issues re feel/distance control?

I did, but you are right that it is a “gentle” stroke, so does work well on fast greens and shorter putts.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I thinking putting is so personal, there is no right or wrong way. It's what works for you.

Some years ago I played with elderly chap who was helluva putter.
Used an old style blade putter, placing it just hole side of ball before address and then the stroke itself, ( like they used to )
He was all wrist, completely different from rocking shoulders etc.
He told me that he played Parkstone , often with Peter Allis, who used to say to him
" If I could have putted like you, ...., I would have won it all."

I myself have abandoned rocking shoulders technique, and gone quite "wristy, finding my distance accuracy much better.