Pebble Watch and GPS Apps

jonny1409

Club Champion
Visit site
Hello,

Does anyone use a pebble watch with the accompanying apps as a GPS for yardages when they are playing?
I have a dedicated GPS (Golf Buddy Voice+ with watch strap) but as I also have a Pebble watch I was thinking of using this and getting rid of my Golf Buddy.

I'm just wondering if anyone has used this and can confirm whether it works well or not?

I always have my phone with me so can have whatever app works (Swing by Swing, Freecaddie etc), but I need to make sure that it will work while my phone it locked etc as I don't want to kill the battery.

Any advice / experiences would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
freecaddie
swing by swing
golf pad

no idea if they are any good or costs involved. Mate of mine is a pebble geek, but not a golfer. I would imagine all can be used while the phone is locked, pebble has GPS built in no? so should be fine for battery phone wise, as with any watch style GPS device, battery life is not gonna be great.

Last edited:

jonny1409

Club Champion
Visit site
Nah I don't think the Pebble has GPS which is why a lot of the companion apps are required. I could be wrong though.

jonny1409

Club Champion
Visit site
The thing is though, if I use one of the apps on my phone I can lock the screen and just unlock it when I want a distance and it doesn't hammer the phone.
The hammering comes if I don't lock the screen.

So I'm wondering whether I can have the screen locked all the time in my bag, but the watch will still work?
Or does the GPS in iPhones 'switch off' when the screen is locked and 'switch on' when I unlock it?

phils226

Medal Winner
Visit site
The thing is though, if I use one of the apps on my phone I can lock the screen and just unlock it when I want a distance and it doesn't hammer the phone.
The hammering comes if I don't lock the screen.

So I'm wondering whether I can have the screen locked all the time in my bag, but the watch will still work?
Or does the GPS in iPhones 'switch off' when the screen is locked and 'switch on' when I unlock it?

Hi I use the Pebble Steel with FreeCaddie. I use it with an old android phone and the battery life is brilliant. I picked up the Pebble Steel for 50 quid on Ebay and love all the apps and its classic luck. I had a Garmin S2 before but this can do much more than Golf. Definitely recommend

Roland

Assistant Pro
www.canal-view.co.uk

Mike07

Head Pro
Visit site
Pebble watch works really well with game golf, so for anyone who prefers to 'tag' the clubs using the watch rather than a silly red box on your belt, this is for you. It works also with just GPS app, but the game golf ability made me buy one. I've returned the pebble time recently though.

The system works really well and its using game golf for what it was meant for. Really easy to tag and the data is semi-useful.

For me though, having thought that i've always wanted shot tracking stats and ability, i've gone back to the garmin S3 watch and golfshot to keep my scores and stats. For me the game golf thing is just a bit of a gimmick that has only kept me interested for 10 rounds. Now i'm finding i don't care too much about how far i've driven the ball or how far my last 7 iron went. I already know my distances so this feature (although cool to show my mates the 335 yard drive) is not working for me. Plus when i'm having a bad round, its a massive distraction to keep tagging every shot.

Compared to a gps watch, the pebble and game golf app takes longer to 'fix' onto a yardage. Often i'd be standing at my ball waiting for the watch to catch up and give me correct yardage. Although it wasn't long to wait, but being used to having instant yardage from the garmin, it was a pain.

Any questions, let me know...