Pay & Play Golf courses - Essex/London area

nmartyn

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi all, new to this forum and new to golf in general.

I've just started playing and am looking for some recommendations for courses in the Essex or London areas which are pay and play without the need for membership or handicaps.
I'm currently playing at my local course in Loughton which is a challenging 9hole course but fancy a change after 4 rounds this weekend :)

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Welcome to the forum, Am living in Surrey with a few other forum members so if you ever fancy a round PM one of us.

Loads of real good pay and plays in Surrey such as Epsom.

minty18

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. I know a few good ones near you.

Cheshunt is not too far and is fairly cheap and challenging. You also have trent park and whitewebbs just round the m25, both are pay and play.

Hope this helps.....

nmartyn

Head Pro
Visit site
cheers guys -
re. playing in Surrey, am VERY new so will give it a few weeks before i brave playing with strangers but definately appreciate the invite :)

i'll check the other ones out now - google here i come!

Vincent

Club Champion
Visit site
Welcome.
I lived in Walthamstow before moving out to Leigh-on-Sea. If you are new to the game then Hobbs Cross is a good start. Whilst the ambience isn't good (sited next to M25 and M11) it is user friendly and the condition of the course - especially the greens - is usually pretty good too.
Others that are good "starter" courses IMO are Hainault Forest, Cranham and Langdon Hills.

Let me know if you need more info.

rob2

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi nmartyn,

I live approx. 5 mins from you and would recommend Epping as a great place to try. It is relatively short and has few bunkers so is a great course for high handicappers (like me.. :))

Also, most importantly, it is very friendly and relaxed.

Other courses I play are North Weald and Blakes (two junctions up the M11) and Canons Brook in Harlow. I would also support the recommendation of Hobbs Cross. They have 2 x 9 hole (one of which is a Par 3). The course is always in good nick (although gets quite busy at weekends).

If you ever fancy a relaxed, no hassle game then let me know.

Happy swinging

Rob2.

nmartyn

Head Pro
Visit site
cheers Vincent - i've got:
Cheshunt Park
Cranham
Epping
Hainult Forest
Hobbs Cross
Langdon
Trent Park
Whitewebbs
on my list now so i'll give them a go (over the next few weeks) and see which i prefer - if anyone has played a few of them and can definately say which is the best... let me know :)

nomadpaul

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi NMartyn , i can only comment on one course and thats Cranham. Its not the hardest course in the county as its fairly new and not particularly long but it's always in great nick . It has fantastic drainage and so is a great winter course.
Not too much in the way of tree's etc so you can 'open your shoulders' without too much fear of losing a ball.
It has a few holes with water , especially the 18th which is a sawgrass 17th type layout....Tee and then an island green with not much in between !!! Tough end to your round but an enjoyable little course nonetheless.

nmartyn

Head Pro
Visit site
cheers Rob - i may take you up on that in a couple of weeks.

one other thing... i'm seeing all these sites which offer discounts on various courses, course vouchers, discounts etc. any you guys can recommend or avoid i guess!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I get emails for the cheap tee times service run by direct golf. Used it once or twice and have picked up a few bargains.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Unique choice...

http://www.trentparkgolf.com/code/html/homepage.htm

To the best of my knowledge Trent Park is the only golf course you can reach by tube (Oakwood Station -cross road, turn right, on left 100 yards-don't know if that helps). Driving range- pretty bad, golf course - pretty good.

For sheer stupidity...

http://www.leevalleypark.org.uk/en/conte...olf_Course.aspx

Picketts lock - once cherished then abandoned site for the olympic village. Played most of my early golf here and gave me an almost unassailable dislike for pay and play. Wear a chainmail coif and kevlar body armour :(

for the biggest rip-off of your life...

http://www.golfinlondon.co.uk/waterworks-pitch-and-putt-review-2007/

The pitch and putt off Lea Bridge Road- Hackney. By the time you've hired your niblick and cane (i.e. two metal sticks with a slightly larger blob of metal on the end of each), your pencil, scorecard, balls etc. you'll almost be up to the price of round at St. Andrews! Only entertainment is seeing if you can thread the ball through the pylons...of which there are many. To be fair I haven't been up there for over 10 years so it could be La Quinta-by-Walthamstow by now...but I doubt it.

Ah , the bad old days :rolleyes:

minty18

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Billy,

Great descriptions mate but whilst trent park is in a busy area and can be reached by tube it's surprising how quiet it is out on the course, you wouldn't know you're in the london.

In fact, fancy a meet there one day? I love the 1st hole, such a challenge and great if the driving range doesnt get in the way. Last time i played at Tent Park my drive on the 1st went about 6 feet. :D