Pat Sharp axed. Have we lost the ability to take a joke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Am I giving him too much credit to suggest he actually meant it to be a play on words in relation to annoying the organiser? That phrase to me doesn’t have a sexual connotation, but rather is used to describe someone being annoyed by someone else.

Obviously a stupid joke, not convinced he meant it to be sexual. I wonder if he’s used it before with men?

Anyway, clearly it’s backfired horribly, and if it was meant in a sexual sense, he deserves everything he is getting.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The joke was premeditated and meant to belittle her. In my opinion it was totally unacceptable, I doubt if he would have liked a woman to have thrown him a pair of undercrackers with a tiny todger printed on it Infront of 400 people.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Am I giving him too much credit to suggest he actually meant it to be a play on words in relation to annoying the organiser? That phrase to me doesn’t have a sexual connotation, but rather is used to describe someone being annoyed by someone else.
I also wondered that, and the perfect retort to him would have been along the lines of “actually you’re getting on my tits right now..” but I accept that most of us would not be quick witted or upfront enough to offer that at the time.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The joke was premeditated and meant to belittle her. In my opinion it was totally unacceptable, I doubt if he would have liked a woman to have thrown him a pair of undercrackers with a tiny todger printed on it Infront of 400 people.

Didn't he give her a t-shirt with his face printed on it?

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Exactly! Then said if she put it on it was the nearest he would be to get his face on her tits. How can that come close to being acceptable.

I'm not defending him, but you're misquoting him (based on what I've seen in the press). What I've seen is that he said "that's the only way I'll get on your tits". Which could mean what you're suggesting, but could also mean the only way he'll annoy her. It's a well used phrase in that context, after all.

The meanings are very different. But even if it were meant in the less harmful way, it's a really stupid joke and the fact that it could be construed in the way everyone else seems to be assuming he meant, it's idiotic.

Of course I could be giving him way more credit than he deserves, just pointing out an alternate possibility.

Swango1980

Visit site
I'm not defending him, but you're misquoting him (based on what I've seen in the press). What I've seen is that he said "that's the only way I'll get on your tits". Which could mean what you're suggesting, but could also mean the only way he'll annoy her. It's a well used phrase in that context, after all.

The meanings are very different. But even if it were meant in the less harmful way, it's a really stupid joke and the fact that it could be construed in the way everyone else seems to be assuming he meant, it's idiotic.

Of course I could be giving him way more credit than he deserves, just pointing out an alternate possibility.
Even if you remove the offence, and just think about the joke, it makes little sense. So, it really is a poor joke.

"that's the only way I'll get on your tits".

1. If he meant this as "this is the only way I'll annoy you", then this makes no sense. He is making the assumption that everyone will be fully aware that he is the sort of guy that just doesn't wind people up, and therefore he thinks it is funny as this is the only way he can "get on her tits", with the double meaning of the location of his face on the t-shirt and her anatomy. I doubt Pat Sharp is famous for being unoffensive, so the joke just doesn't work. I'm sure people would think he could quite easily annoy her, which ironically he proved perfectly.

2. If he meant it literally as "this is the only way that I'll get my face on your chest", then some might find it "funny" as he is basically saying "I have no chance, unless my face is on a T Shirt worn by her". Of course, it isn't really that funny at all for most, and it is easy to see how it would make her feel uncomfortable, as he is basically talking about him not being able to perform a very intimate act with her.

So, even if you remove the obvious offense from the joke, I'd really like to understand what on earth his thinking was when he thought it would be a good joke!?

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Even if you remove the offence, and just think about the joke, it makes little sense. So, it really is a poor joke.

"that's the only way I'll get on your tits".

1. If he meant this as "this is the only way I'll annoy you", then this makes no sense. He is making the assumption that everyone will be fully aware that he is the sort of guy that just doesn't wind people up, and therefore he thinks it is funny as this is the only way he can "get on her tits", with the double meaning of the location of his face on the t-shirt and her anatomy. I doubt Pat Sharp is famous for being unoffensive, so the joke just doesn't work. I'm sure people would think he could quite easily annoy her, which ironically he proved perfectly.

2. If he meant it literally as "this is the only way that I'll get my face on your chest", then some might find it "funny" as he is basically saying "I have no chance, unless my face is on a T Shirt worn by her". Of course, it isn't really that funny at all for most, and it is easy to see how it would make her feel uncomfortable, as he is basically talking about him not being able to perform a very intimate act with her.

So, even if you remove the obvious offense from the joke, I'd really like to understand what on earth his thinking was when he thought it would be a good joke!?

Yes, as I said, not defending him. It's stupid at best, and at worst....well... it's all been said already. Strikes me as unlikely to be the first time he's gone with this joke? He's gone to the trouble of obtaining a t-shirt. Which worryingly means it might have been well received at some point!

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
All she had to do was reply “you’re not wrong” then everyone would have laughed at him (which he would have taken in good nature) but no, she played the offended card. Baffles me how mentally weak some people are nowadays. I wonder how they cope in everyday life.

Status
Not open for further replies.