Past Champions

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
No one because the reason why it was such entertainment was because it was Tom Watson

I also think Els was only able to play in 2012 on the back of previously winning it

He was also in the previous president cup team, so would have qualified anyway through this method.

Also, a 10 year exemption would still have got him in the field in 2012 as he won it in 2002.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Do you think Tom Watson deprived someone of a spot in 2009 when he was a past champion

There will always be the odd exception, how many times has Todd Hamilton challenged in Majors since he won the open...let me think...and Darren Clarke scored well today, I absolutely bet you I could've scored better than Clarke today in these conditions.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
There will always be the odd exception, how many times has Todd Hamilton challenged in Majors since he won the open...let me think...and Darren Clarke scored well today, I absolutely bet you I could've scored better than Clarke today in these conditions.

Play him 30 times on championship courses and see how you fair. One shocking round isn’t a barometer for someone’s class (or lack of).

D

Deleted member 15344

Todd Hamilton hasn’t challenged for anything since the day after he won the Open

So what if Clarke had a bad round - he has won the Open and earned the right to play again in it.

There are 156 entries into the Open and your grumbling about a handful of players. Who exactly replaces them ? A handful of very low ranked players who would prob have the same sort of result as the Past Champions

I think it’s the reason why Woods is playing this year as well

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
If we take out all the past winners and say free up 10 spaces, then that’s 10 spaces added to the bottom of the field. How often do the lowest ranked golfers actually win a major?

I think that the rule for past champions is fine as it is.

John Daly being the 9th alternate in the 1991 PGA would be up there in the lowest ranked to win a major though! :D

Winning the Open in 1995 gives him a few more years over here too.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Earned the right to play by winning the thing.

Gives the paying public a chance to see past champions in the flesh even if past their best.

D

Deleted member 15344

Should Borg or Navratilova still play at Wimbledon? How about Billie Jean King? If people want to see past champions then watch Seniors golf.

Not really comparable is it

The nature of golf has shown that people into their 50’s can still compete and have won on tour

The past champions rule is what has Woods playing

They have won the Open - why shouldn’t they be able to keep playing in it until they are 60

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not really comparable is it

The nature of golf has shown that people into their 50’s can still compete and have won on tour

The past champions rule is what has Woods playing

They have won the Open - why shouldn’t they be able to keep playing in it until they are 60

You are right, I was over egging it to make a point. How far do you go to satisfy sentimentality though?

Why shouldn't they keep playing? The answer is because they are not competitive. If they were then they would qualify by standard means, not because they won the tournament 15-20 years ago.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tom Watson was 59 and nearly won The Open. Past Champions should be able to play as long as they want to. We've had great moments like Watson's week at Turnberry and Jack's retirement at St Andrews which just wouldn't have been possible without this exemption.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Who would you rather see in the event?

A past champion and the chance to reminisce about their past performance?
or No.126 in the world rankings or the 4th placed finisher from one of the final qualifiers?

No contest. Bring back Sandy, Sir Nick (if he wanted) and any other former champion until the age of 60 or whenever they choose to say goodbye.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sandy Lyle and David Duvall have both only made one cut each in the last 10 Opens. Other than a nice time for them I don't see the point.

There were good players at the Scottish Open last week who finished high but just missed out. I'd rather one of them made it as they may stand a genuine chance.

I see the sentimental side to this, I just don't agree with it.

D

Deleted member 15344

Sandy Lyle and David Duvall have both only made one cut each in the last 10 Opens. Other than a nice time for them I don't see the point.

There were good players at the Scottish Open last week who finished high but just missed out. I'd rather one of them made it as they may stand a genuine chance.

I see the sentimental side to this, I just don't agree with it.

If they were that good they would have qualified by right over the past 12 months - 156 slots and Your whining that people that have actually won it take the spot as opposed to World 150 odd - how many people ranked that high have actually won

I guess you don’t mind Woods being in

Some people always want to change a tradition when it does no harm

There are prob a damn sight more people that want to watch Sandy Lyle play as opposed to Mr Smith ranked 120 in the world

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Jens Dantorp came 3rd at the Scottish Open last week and is tied last - behind Lyle, Duval, Clarke et al. People are going to play bad no matter where they finished the week before, or how they qualified. If the past-winners exemption gives us the chance of seeing another Watson at Turnberry week then I'm all for it.

mat100p

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I like seeing past champions.
Sandy Lyle only finish 3 worse than the current no.1 and 2 in the world . Mark Calcavechia and Ernie Els only one shot worse than no.1 and 2 in world. Tom Lehman beat the current no.1 and 2 in world . Have some respect for past champions it's called tradition that's why it's a great game..

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I like seeing past champions.
Sandy Lyle only finish 3 worse than the current no.1 and 2 in the world . Mark Calcavechia and Ernie Els only one shot worse than no.1 and 2 in world. Tom Lehman beat the current no.1 and 2 in world . Have some respect for past champions it's called tradition that's why it's a great game..

Yip tradition. That's why I've looked out the plus 4's, Tweed jacket and hickory bats for tomorrow's competition. Now where did I put my stash of feathery balls!