Paralysis by Analysis

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
In the book "The Inner Game of Golf" (Tim Gallwey) he says that to keep the voices in your head quiet during the swing, say "BACK" to your self (or out loud) on the backswing and "HIT" as you go to hit it!

While you concentrate on saying that, you can be thinking of anything else! :)

Some books call it the inner monkey. I did some NLP work a few years back with a guy called James Lambdon and he was very strong on keeping the monkey quiet. That was not only on the tee or over the shot but in between too whether its going well (getting too far ahead) or chopping it (inner chattering about technique, negative thoughts). Made a big difference. I have also been trialling the use of CBD and between the two I have been as calm and yet focused on the course as I have for years since a junior. Winning more roll ups, getting into contention in more comps and more happy in my golf

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
In contention today and felt myself getting tight. Fortunately the CBD oil kicked in and back to feeling calm and in control and able to execute well under pressure in the last few holes including a nervy 40 pitch over water at the last. Felt very good out there

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
When you go to the driving range do you practice your entire routine or do you just stand and hit balls? If it's the later, go through your entire routine from standing behind the ball, to address and then hitting it. Hit a bucket of balls. Then do the same on the tee.

If it helps, count yourself in. 1,2,3 go.

Do both, depending on time etc.

phillarrow

Visit site
A great deal of this is mental..

I've had some great feedback to my golf Psycology series that you may find beneficial as well ?

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwRXF388TbxQlDa5X-hyRcCoM7wS4r5qJ

That's a cracking series, thanks for giving us the link to it.
What you've done is stuff that's been said before, many times and in many ways, but I really liked the way you put it all across and the specific examples you used.
I'm going to make a concerted effort to follow your advice over the next few weeks and see if I can stick to it. ?

D

Deleted member 21445

That's a cracking series, thanks for giving us the link to it.
What you've done is stuff that's been said before, many times and in many ways, but I really liked the way you put it all across and the specific examples you used.
I'm going to make a concerted effort to follow your advice over the next few weeks and see if I can stick to it. ?

Thanks Phil and for the comments on YT as well, much appreciated ?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
This makes me very happy, great stuff, well done ?

Gave the course a shot back over yesterday, but two days running, have played without swing thoughts. It’s much more enjoyable.

no woods today either, 5 iron off the tee, kept myself more in play than a hooky driver. Just wish I could get the measure of these greens, playing great shots in and they won’t hold, even pitching on the front, the ball is running off the back, cost me at Least 6 shots today, a tad frustrating at times.