Parallel at the top

quinn

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Does it matter if the club isn't parallel at the top of my backswing ? Just been trying different things today and I seemed to be hitting the ball more consistent with the club not getting fully parallel.it seems as soon as I try and get it that little bit higher it throws my swing off...I've still got a good shoulder turn but it feels like a shorter swing and i have more feel and control, , didn't seem to lose any distance either....is this ok or could it cause other problems ?

quinn

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
There's no need to be parallel at all.

Im sure my old swing wasn't fully parallel. I had a lesson a while ago and he tried to get me getting the club parallel at the top...swing hasn't been the same since....I played today and the swing felt great...much more controlled just wanted to check if it might cause other issues...funny old game..

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
No need to be parallel and I wish I could successfully shorten my swing, especially on the driver and longer clubs. When I do everything falls out of synch and I really don't have the heart of the will to work hard on changing it that much anymore

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
No need to be parallel and I wish I could successfully shorten my swing, especially on the driver and longer clubs. When I do everything falls out of synch and I really don't have the heart of the will to work hard on changing it that much anymore

That reads like another +0.1 day (or worse)! :eek:

@OP. As others have posted, no need to get parallel. Whatever gives you best distance and control

quinn

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
@Quinn... James once told me this. It took me 3 months to realise how much long swings were killing my game.

Swinging shorter generates MORE speed, MORE control (which is obvious) and better golf.

That's what was annoying me..went for a lesson and he tried to get me to parallel, swings been all over the place, went from playing my best golf ever to my worst...it's taken me 3 months to get my swing back....im asking my pro for my money back :)

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's what was annoying me..went for a lesson and he tried to get me to parallel, swings been all over the place, went from playing my best golf ever to my worst...it's taken me 3 months to get my swing back....im asking my pro for my money back :)

What was he trying to achieve?

Please don't say "I don't know"!!!

quinn

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
What was he trying to achieve?

Please don't say "I don't know"!!!

I wasn't turning my shoulders enough, the only way he could get my shoulders turning fully was when I got the club to parallel at the top.Must admit practice swing looked great on video, but thats about as good as it got.:) just couldn't get the club back to the ball we've been trying everything....played today with my old swing and nailed it . I've kept the shoulder turn he was getting me to do...just a shorter swing...think I'll stick with it....seems to work.

lyden

Head Pro
Visit site
You have to give it time to practice your pro knows better than any of us so he must have decent reasons for it. You certainly don't need to be parallel though.

quinn

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You have to give it time to practice your pro knows better than any of us so he must have decent reasons for it. You certainly don't need to be parallel though.

Your right...got another lesson next week so I'll see what he says....just sat in a bar watching sergio...def doesn't get to parallel seems to work for him . I'll stick with my swing tomorrow and see what happens...if that goes tits up it's back to the drawing board :)

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Keeping the backswing arc wide is more important to whether the club lies parallel. Take a look at most Pros they will only get to that position with the driver and longer clubs which tend to get there due to their length.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I wasn't turning my shoulders enough, the only way he could get my shoulders turning fully was when I got the club to parallel at the top.Must admit practice swing looked great on video, but thats about as good as it got.:) just couldn't get the club back to the ball we've been trying everything....played today with my old swing and nailed it . I've kept the shoulder turn he was getting me to do...just a shorter swing...think I'll stick with it....seems to work.

Doesn't seem he was trying to get you to parallel then. He was trying to get you to turn shoulders properly.

If you are now doing that, then all hunky-dory. Though best to check with him. Plenty of communication required between coach and student and without it all sorts of misconceptions can occur.

Last edited:

two-clubs

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Take a look at most Pros they will only get to that position with the driver and longer clubs which tend to get there due to their length.

I watch the golf on TV and often marvel at the silly iron distances they achieve - especially when they show the shot again in slow motion and you notice the shaft is nothing like parallel and the shot usually appears to be hit at less than full power, I often think to myself ''that was only a 3/4 swing too''

Wouldn't it be lovely to strike the ball as perfect as that.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I watch the golf on TV and often marvel at the silly iron distances they achieve - especially when they show the shot again in slow motion and you notice the shaft is nothing like parallel and the shot usually appears to be hit at less than full power, I often think to myself ''that was only a 3/4 swing too''

Wouldn't it be lovely to strike the ball as perfect as that.

They achieve this by creating great ball compression and not allowing the left wrist to flip which most amateur golfers do. Just see the divots they make with irons.