Par 6's and 7's

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Gedney Hill Golf Club (South Lincolnshire) is only 5287 yards. It has 7 par 4's under 300 yards (4 of which are not more than 240 yards). Yet it has a par 5 that is 668 yards, uphill and I believe into the prevailing wind (and the fairways don't seem to get much roll exactly, quite long when I played). It just seems bizarre, and it is a slog of a hole.
Ah Gedney Hill, my first membership.
To be fair we're in the jurisdiction of the Fenland Mountain Rescue here, my recollection was maybe it was about 2 foot uphill ??

Swango1980

Visit site
Ah Gedney Hill, my first membership.
To be fair we're in the jurisdiction of the Fenland Mountain Rescue here, my recollection was maybe it was about 2 foot uphill ??
Maybe it felt uphill. At that yardage, I was expecting a severe downhill hole. So, when I turned up and saw it wasn't, into wind, and fairway cut to second cut height, I felt like I was climbing Everest. Nice Texas Scramble course

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There used to be a par 6 at Dewstow in Wales. Don’t remember the length but was also quite tight. Not the best hole I have ever played.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Gedney Hill Golf Club (South Lincolnshire) is only 5287 yards. It has 7 par 4's under 300 yards (4 of which are not more than 240 yards). Yet it has a par 5 that is 668 yards, uphill and I believe into the prevailing wind (and the fairways don't seem to get much roll exactly, quite long when I played). It just seems bizarre, and it is a slog of a hole.
I played it a few years ago and don't remember any such hill, but maybe only a small gradient here and there.
They let me on for a just a fiver then and I see the green fees are still very good value.

But why is the place called Gedney Hill?
With Thorney just down the road and still dead flat I played there also, but the greens were not as good.

I think these ultra long holes may end up driving people away.
I know, hire a buggy.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
We have a 605yrd hole off whites and almost everyone hates it, even the big hitters. It’s a dog leg so the big hitters are taking on a carry to a very narrow fairway and a lost ball if it runs off. The play for everyone is to the corner but for average golfers, holes of this length are more seen as an option to drop shots than to be enjoyed.

sunshine

Visit site
Crondon Park in Essex - claim "Our 18th hole is the longest closing golf hole in the World, measuring 860 yards and played as an unofficial par 6. "
Its actually quite a nice finishing hole.

I had to look it up. Complete gimmick as the hole is actually “only” a 600 yard par 5. Looks like a good hole but no need for preposterous publicity stunts as it doesn’t look playable from 860 yards.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm sorry, I can't agree with that.
Driver 270, 3 wood 230, 3 wood 230 and I'm still 20yds short. And that's flat and no wind.
Some may do it occasionally but all fit players?
Put the 3 wood away and hit your driver again .. it has enough loft ??

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Actually I don’t see the point of these long holes. Just make the green narrow and small or have loads of undulations… if the long boys get there they will have to still play a putt or two to finish. Also you can Chuck a couple of pot holes bunkers in at 250-280 yards and give them a challenge

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For a longstanding council course Silverknowes in Edinburgh had a pretty long finishing hole.
Many years since I played it but it was 600 yards gently uphill. And the fairways were not always cut low.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Personally and looking at the West Midlands scorecard, it’s a gimmick. The course has 5 par fives and a par Six and is a par 74 at 6546 yds.
Our place is 6805 yards and a par 72 with four par 5’s so you hit it 250 yards further with 2 less shots. Our course hazard is it’s length. Not the hazards. For me it is bone idle last course design. The course openly admits it has the longest hole in the UK. It has a stupidly long hole and yet has sub 300 par fours.

D

Deleted member 3432

Personally and looking at the West Midlands scorecard, it’s a gimmick. The course has 5 par fives and a par Six and is a par 74 at 6546 yds.
Our place is 6805 yards and a par 72 with four par 5’s so you hit it 250 yards further with 2 less shots. Our course hazard is it’s length. Not the hazards. For me it is bone idle last course design. The course openly admits it has the longest hole in the UK. It has a stupidly long hole and yet has sub 300 par fours.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell you par means nothing ?