Longest / shortest hole?

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Not far from me is a traffic island which advertises the UK's longest hole at a course a mile away. It's 725 yards and a par 6.
I won't mention the course's name but it's in the West Midlands.
Another fairly local course has a par 3 of a mere 60 yards, so you don't need to be bold to play it. Another clue there.
Virtual prize if you guess both.
And would you be tempted to detour to play a par 6. Does it have value or is it just a publicity stunt?

D

Deleted member 1147

Is the 2nd one the Windmill course near Coventry?

jammag

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
There’s a little club not far from me called Gedney Hill. It’s generally a really short course with lots of dog legs.

Par 3 - 105 yards off the whites
Par 5 - 668 yards off the whites

It used to claim to be the longest par 5 in the UK but I’m not too sure if this is still true.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
There’s a little club not far from me called Gedney Hill. It’s generally a really short course with lots of dog legs.

Par 3 - 105 yards off the whites
Par 5 - 668 yards off the whites

It used to claim to be the longest par 5 in the UK but I’m not too sure if this is still true.
I did play that course once. It's near Thorney in the fens. Why is the place called Gedney Hill when it's flat?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not far from me is a traffic island which advertises the UK's longest hole at a course a mile away. It's 725 yards and a par 6.
I won't mention the course's name but it's in the West Midlands.
Another fairly local course has a par 3 of a mere 60 yards, so you don't need to be bold to play it. Another clue there.
Virtual prize if you guess both.
And would you be tempted to detour to play a par 6. Does it have value or is it just a publicity stunt?
The latter I would say. I can't see much enjoyment in a hole where you I'd have to hit my best drive followed by two good long shots and still be a good wedge short of the green. Par 6 or not it would just feel like a slog.

DCB

Visit site
Bright Castle used to have a par6 of 735 yds. A good drive and a taxi were my chosen method of getting the ball up to the green ;)

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I know the course you mean, 725 is the Championship tees and will hardly ever be played.

The 666 off the yellows is still too long.
Does that imply visitors cannot play the full length? In that case they probably shouldn't advertise it on the roundabout as the course is pay and play.
I have played the course a few times but never the par 6 which is of recent origin. Most people go there because of the fishing rather than the golf.
Even at 666 yards it would still be a beast. I'd be happy with a 7, or 8 if the wind is against.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Going to be easier to par a 725 par 6 than most 66x par 5s!

Ours is only 664, but the dog leg with lakes both sides and between trees at 260 from the tee makes it play a little tougher for the big hitters...

D

Deleted member 21258

Crondon Park Golf Club in Essex, from their website

'Our 18th hole is the longest closing golf hole in the World, measuring 860 yards and played as an unofficial par 6. '

Off the blacks it is a mere 646 yards, A pitch and a chip for an average forummers yardage:D

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Total publicity stunt - there is no justifiable reason for a hole to be over 600 yards and even a par-3 should never be below 100.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Total publicity stunt - there is no justifiable reason for a hole to be over 600 yards and even a par-3 should never be below 100.
I agree. I can't see what benefit it holds to have a hole that long other than cheap publicity and if you want short par 3's play a pitch and putt. I am not sure I'd want to play any course with these sort of holes on

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I agree. I can't see what benefit it holds to have a hole that long other than cheap publicity and if you want short par 3's play a pitch and putt. I am not sure I'd want to play any course with these sort of holes on

I don't know, the shorter ones can have some bearing. Didn't Merion have one playing at 98 yards when Rose won? Think the longest it got was about 120.

D

Deleted member 15344

I don't know, the shorter ones can have some bearing. Didn't Merion have one playing at 98 yards when Rose won? Think the longest it got was about 120.
Peeble Beach 7th is 94 yards of the whites , 98 yards of the golds - championship tee it’s 109 - it’s also one of the best par threes in golf if not one of the most iconic.

Short par 3’s are superb and imo there should be more of them - postage stamp is another at around 120 which is brilliant and brutal

The one at Merion 12th ? Was from 100 to 115 depending on where they put the tee

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Peeble Beach 7th is 94 yards of the whites , 98 yards of the golds - championship tee it’s 109 - it’s also one of the best par threes in golf if not one of the most iconic.

Short par 3’s are superb and imo there should be more of them - postage stamp is another at around 120 which is brilliant and brutal

The one at Merion 12th ? Was from 100 to 115 depending on where they put the tee

I'd actually forgot about Pebble and the Postage stamp. 2 excellent examples!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is a nine hole course near me that has an 80 yard hole, and the green is well below the tee as well. You would think a hole that short would be easy but hitting the right yardage and getting it stop on the green without rolling off the back is actually really difficult (for me anyway).

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does it have value or is it just a publicity stunt?

I really cannot see the point of a hole that long - slog - slog -slog. Might as well just go to the range.

Now short tough par 3s I really enjoy