Par 5s, Start and Finish

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
how many courses have a starter these days?
We do in the current conditions and talk is it'll remain after.

Irrespective, if its a competition there are rules about teeing off before time (and after) and even socially, if clubs were proactive and reminded members about too many starting on the hole causing bottle necks they'd get the message. It may need repeating once in a while. Ultimately the members, with or without a starter have a responsibility to go out at appropriate gaps

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We do in the current conditions and talk is it'll remain after.

Irrespective, if its a competition there are rules about teeing off before time (and after) and even socially, if clubs were proactive and reminded members about too many starting on the hole causing bottle necks they'd get the message. It may need repeating once in a while. Ultimately the members, with or without a starter have a responsibility to go out at appropriate gaps

Just like your course manages to deal with your perennially slow guys who go out that you post about regularly?

Thats the thing isnt it, clubs dont deal with this sort of thing because they dont have the manpower and/or wont upset members at risk of losing them

Pretty sure a par 5 followed by a par 3 is the worst set up possible for causing slow play at the start of a round

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Hopefully BiM will be along at some point to highlight his course's start! Opening 3 holes work out to be the longest in Surrey I believe.

Since you ask, 521 par 5, 553 par 5, 442 par 4. I'm not sure but I believe it was the longest start in more than Surrey for a while; haven't checked it but was told the longest start in Europe until something in Germany was built that beat it.

What I'm sure of is that you don't want to save your Surrey 5's game on the 18th, only to lose it on the 21st; it's a long uphill walk back to the clubhouse.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Since you ask, 521 par 5, 553 par 5, 442 par 4. I'm not sure but I believe it was the longest start in more than Surrey for a while; haven't checked it but was told the longest start in Europe until something in Germany was built that beat it.

What I'm sure of is that you don't want to save your Surrey 5's game on the 18th, only to lose it on the 21st; it's a long uphill walk back to the clubhouse.

see its courses like that that make the 12 holes proposal make sense ;)

peld

Visit site
My course starts with a par 5 hole, which has always struck me as a bit mean, but it also finishes with one too. Does anyone else play on a course with par 5 hole first and last?
Our main course has par 5s on holes 1,9,10 and 18. All are fairly short and definitely the shot making holes, as nearly all the par 4s are 400+yrds

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are any holes easy for higher handicaps?
I just don't see that getting a par on a par 5 can be harder than any par 3 or 4.
I'm regularly par or under for the 3 5s on my course. Never like that on the par 3s.
A lot of the issue for higher h/c is distance, followed by inconsistent ball striking. A par 5 will usually need 3 decent whacks or a minimum 2 plus an iron. A par 4 could be 300-340 yds and is reachable in one decent whack and a short iron. Much easier, less likely to mess up.

Clearly the above is simplistic, a long par 4 is just as problematic, but I suspect most high h/c will score more poorly on par 5's on the whole.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
the complete opposite, people tee off too early and can easily end up with 3 groups on the first hole. If the 2nd is a par 3 then it all snarls up before youve got started
Unfortunately that is the case at the OPs course as well. I have experienced playing there a few times, and the opening tee shot is blind, there is a bell to ring roughly 230 yds from the tee. It seems that many players hear the bell and then tee off, regardless of the fact that this is ahead of their tee time. And then the waiting starts.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pretty sure a par 5 followed by a par 3 is the worst set up possible for causing slow play at the start of a round

My place starts and finishes with par 5’s

Second is a pretty tough par 3 aswell and can cause issues sometimes, not a great configuration to start

Conversely back 9 starts 3 then 5, often think formpace of play we’d be better playing the back 9 first, although 10th tee shot wouldnt be a nice introduction to a round!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Our 2nd and 17th holes are par 5s. A real opportunity to get the round under way or push to try and safe buffer or cement a good round.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Unfortunately that is the case at the OPs course as well. I have experienced playing there a few times, and the opening tee shot is blind, there is a bell to ring roughly 230 yds from the tee. It seems that many players hear the bell and then tee off, regardless of the fact that this is ahead of their tee time. And then the waiting starts.

You are right ... that can sometimes happen. And bearing in mind what someone else said about opening with a par 5 followed by a par 3, the second hole is a par 3!

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A lot of the issue for higher h/c is distance, followed by inconsistent ball striking. A par 5 will usually need 3 decent whacks or a minimum 2 plus an iron. A par 4 could be 300-340 yds and is reachable in one decent whack and a short iron. Much easier, less likely to mess up.

Clearly the above is simplistic, a long par 4 is just as problematic, but I suspect most high h/c will score more poorly on par 5's on the whole.

Indeed. Spot on ... my situation in a nutshell.

D

Deleted member 21258

Used to play at a course called Stonyhill in Essex, now called South Essex. They had 3 loops of nine :-

Hawk - Opens and closes with a Par 5
Heron - Opens with a par 5
Vixen - Closes with a par 5