Par 5s, Start and Finish

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I do like finishing a round on a par 5.

Particular shout outs to Quinta do Lago North Course and Northamptonshire County GC. Two fantastic par 5 18th holes.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Don't see a problem with it. Can get two groups off so is it not good for pace of play? Depending on SI a lot of players may get a shot so a 6 wouldn't be a show stopper and get you feeling too negative from the off

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
OP here. I’m a high handicapper and par 5s are not usually scoring holes for me ... being aged 69, distance is now becoming a bit of a problem. Added to which, I don’t get two shots on neither the first (507 yards off the yellows/SI 10) or last hole (483 yards off the yellows/SI 9). The last also has a 90 degree dogleg through a narrow gap in the trees.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
OP here. I’m a high handicapper and par 5s are not usually scoring holes for me ... being aged 69, distance is now becoming a bit of a problem. Added to which, I don’t get two shots on neither the first (507 yards off the yellows/SI 10) or last hole (483 yards off the yellows/SI 9). The last also has a 90 degree dogleg through a narrow gap in the trees.

Without being rude or trying to teach you to suck the proverbial egg, but are you standing on the tee and seeing it as a par 5? Even with one shot on both, if you perhaps lower expectations, especially over the opening tee shot and take something that gets it in play, accepting you'll lose distance and effectively the change to hit a GIR but allows safer passage and more of a chance to hit the green in four and two putting for a 6 nett 5

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Don't see a problem with it. Can get two groups off so is it not good for pace of play? Depending on SI a lot of players may get a shot so a 6 wouldn't be a show stopper and get you feeling too negative from the off

the complete opposite, people tee off too early and can easily end up with 3 groups on the first hole. If the 2nd is a par 3 then it all snarls up before youve got started

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the courses i play regularly, the Old Course at Leckford, starts with 2 par 5's.

Alternatively, depending on which loops you play, Wellow starts and ends with par 3's.