Pairs Knockout Final this weekend

IanMcC

Visit site
So, I tried to find the recent Knockout finals threads, but I failed dismally. Saturday 14th sees our 36 hole Club Pairs Knockout final, which my partner and I have managed to reach. Last year I made the Singles Knockout final, and was well and truly trounced (8 & 7 over 36 holes) by a long hitter. It was wet last Autumn, and I had no chance. He outdrove me by about 40 yards each hole. Coincidentally, the same player who beat me in the Singles last year has made the final of the Pairs this year. It is not a grudge match by any means, as last year's final was played in good spirits, and I soon realised I had no chance.

I think it may be different this year though. I have changed my driver and 3 wood this season. Changing the driver resulted in me winning the 36 hole Handicap Club Champs (nett 69 and 67), and changing my 3 wood resulted in me winning the August Monthly Medal (nett 64). My partner never misses a fairway, and is a wee bit lower than I am, Index wise.

With current handicaps, which wont change much before Saturday, my opponent from last year is low man. My partner will get 1 shot, I will get 3, and our other opponent will get 6. All 3 are good guys, so it will be played in good spirit.

There will be no blow by blow account, as in previous threads, but I will let you know how we get on. I have us as favourites, but I think it will be close. :D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
So, I tried to find the recent Knockout finals threads, but I failed dismally. Saturday 14th sees our 36 hole Club Pairs Knockout final, which my partner and I have managed to reach. Last year I made the Singles Knockout final, and was well and truly trounced (8 & 7 over 36 holes) by a long hitter. It was wet last Autumn, and I had no chance. He outdrove me by about 40 yards each hole. Coincidentally, the same player who beat me in the Singles last year has made the final of the Pairs this year. It is not a grudge match by any means, as last year's final was played in good spirits, and I soon realised I had no chance.

I think it may be different this year though. I have changed my driver and 3 wood this season. Changing the driver resulted in me winning the 36 hole Handicap Club Champs (nett 69 and 67), and changing my 3 wood resulted in me winning the August Monthly Medal (nett 64). My partner never misses a fairway, and is a wee bit lower than I am, Index wise.

With current handicaps, which wont change much before Saturday, my opponent from last year is low man. My partner will get 1 shot, I will get 3, and our other opponent will get 6. All 3 are good guys, so it will be played in good spirit.

There will be no blow by blow account, as in previous threads, but I will let you know how we get on. I have us as favourites, but I think it will be close. :D
Enjoy it and don't try too hard. Play your normal game

IanMcC

Visit site
So, we limped over the line. We were 2 down after 9, and also 2 down after 18. We were 3 down after 7, and that was the only time I thought we might lose the match. They had the initiative then, but we reigned them in enough to keep us in the match.
In the afternoon we quickly got back to level, and then swapped the lead a few times. We were 1 up playing 17, and one of our opponents had a stroke, but he blocked himself out with his tee shot, and had to chip out. He scored 6 for a net 5, but Steve, my partner, sunk a 12 footer for a par to win the match.
It was a match full of mistakes by both teams, but we probably made fewer.
A superb day.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
So, we limped over the line. We were 2 down after 9, and also 2 down after 18. We were 3 down after 7, and that was the only time I thought we might lose the match. They had the initiative then, but we reigned them in enough to keep us in the match.
In the afternoon we quickly got back to level, and then swapped the lead a few times. We were 1 up playing 17, and one of our opponents had a stroke, but he blocked himself out with his tee shot, and had to chip out. He scored 6 for a net 5, but Steve, my partner, sunk a 12 footer for a par to win the match.
It was a match full of mistakes by both teams, but we probably made fewer.
A superb day.
Doesn't matter about how you play the win was the thing. Congratulations