Paige Spirinac: Good for women's golf or not ?

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Just read a GM article about her being Sports Illustrated swim wear model 2018. She sure does divide opinion when it comes to womens golf, so is she good for it or a distraction ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Given her ranking http://www.rolexrankings.com/en/rankings/ I'd suggest she either needs to knuckle down to her game or maybe focus on the media side of it. Clearly the two aren't mixing well. I would think you'd need to ask her peers on whether she's helping the game or not. I'm not sure and while publicity for the womens game is necessary, does it really have to come in the form of her (and others) regularly flaunting their figure and does that really help grow the sport to girls and women?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Is she not on sabatical from golf and hence not playing golf at the moment. Therefore her ranking is irrelevant, as she is not presently a pro golfer. She is concentrating on her social media presence, and part time modelling. Sports illustrated swim wear edition sounds perfect for her.

Non thread. Move along.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't think it's really about the golf - she's a modern 'wanebe'; I wish her well but that article was the first time i became aware of her and I probably won't hear about her again (not that she will worry about that)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Is she not on sabatical from golf and hence not playing golf at the moment. Therefore her ranking is irrelevant, as she is not presently a pro golfer. She is concentrating on her social media presence, and part time modelling. Sports illustrated swim wear edition sounds perfect for her.

Non thread. Move along.

Wasn't aware she was on a sabbatical.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
She was official starter at the Dubai Desert Classic, she also did a teaching class with Rory, so she is still clearly connected with golf, so safe to say her and female golf are still connected I'd say.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Just read a GM article about her being Sports Illustrated swim wear model 2018. She sure does divide opinion when it comes to womens golf, so is she good for it or a distraction ?

What has she done for women's golf? Played in a couple events and now quoted as she doesn't want to play competitively, instead focussing on media work.

"I don't know if I'll ever be fully accepted in the golf industry because what I do is so different and no one has really ever done it before. People don't know what to call me or what I'm doing, but I feel like I'm having a positive impact on the game"

I can think of a few things to call you!!

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I think she does more harm than good, will young girls/ladies think they’ve got to have a body and looks like her or Carly to be successful, as thats all you see more of across the media rather than the real true lady ‘golfers’ right at the top who look more like overweight Rottweilers chewing a lemon sherbet!

Dogma

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Had the pleasure of meeting her in Dubai during the DDC and she is even more lovely in person, and I don't just mean to look at.

She speaks so passionately about the game and her experience with bullying that she is a fantastic role model for not just women but also men.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had the pleasure of meeting her in Dubai during the DDC and she is even more lovely in person, and I don't just mean to look at.

She speaks so passionately about the game and her experience with bullying that she is a fantastic role model for not just women but also men.

:thup:

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
In the PR world there's very rarely bad publicity - just depends on the spin/context.

It ain't going to hurt and the exposure is probably good.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In the PR world there's very rarely bad publicity - just depends on the spin/context.

It ain't going to hurt and the exposure is probably good.

Think i'd agree with that. Keeps the sport in peoples minds and hopefully means other people think about taking it up to some degree. Although I would add i don't think its about good for "women's golf" just golf.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I don't neccessarily think she attracts any more women to the game. Don't get me wrong, I am sure she is a nice person, but she kind of personifies so many things that are wrong not only in golf or sports, but the media world ingeneral. Now, does she bring more (male) viewers to an event? Yeah, possibly. Does that help women's golf in general? Debatable. It might produce some extra income short term, but I don't think it is a healthy way for women's golf to progress in the long run. Women's golf should be attractive for performance (where the professional side of it is concerned) and for it's benefits for the player on the amateur side. Not for tits and long legs. What we need is more of a message of: Golf is good for you, no matter how you look while doing it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think she is trying to be good for women's golf. She's just making a career for herself and fair play to her.

I'm not sure she's even good enough to trouble any leaderboards on the tour. She's sort of like the Anna Kournikova of golf at this point.