PA Overflow

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have a stream running across a couple of fairways that has flooded over it's normal limits. The PA is marked with yellow lines
How should the club identify the difference between the PA margin and the Temporary Water?

Attachments

• pa overflow.jpg
    pa overflow.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 17

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Voyager's suggestion seems best to me, especially as there is a steep drop into deeper water. But is the edge of the overflow itself adequate definition of the margin of the NPZ? Perhaps stakes around the edge.

Is this a one-off occurrence Or does it happen with any degree of frequency? If the latter, perhaps one should consider permanently marking the edge of the PA with stakes tall enough to show above the floodwater?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Making the whole area of water a No Play Zone would not in itself solve the problem, There would still would still have to KVC of his ball being in the temporary water for a player to get free relief; without KVC his ball is taken to be in the PA and relief though mandatory still comes with a penalty. Easily sorted, however, by defining it all as a No Play Zone in GUR. [Edit: I wrote that last sentence off the cuff but now have great misgivings about it. The stream is a Penalty Area by Definition and incorporating it in GUR does not change its status does it? You do not get relief from an abnormal course condition in a penalty area and so you will still cop a penalty stroke for the mandatory relief from the NPZ. I hear my father's voice in my head, "Think again laddie, think again".]

Note too that a NPZ would it necessarily ensure safety as it only prohibits play from the NPZ, not entry into it.

Last edited:

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Does the stream have any stakes already ?

If not then stake at the edge of the stream bed and anything the other side of the stakes you get relief from the standing water

Or make the whole area a no play zone

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Colin's point about knowing which area the ball is in is making me think. I guess 'best estimate'.

Incidentally, I hadn't noticed before but yellow stakes were installed a while ago when EG ran a big event here.