P790 lofts

Tiewebbgolf

Visit site
Hi, I’ve had my p790 irons bent to traditional lofts, do you think this will mess up CG and MOI?
Any info would be appreciated

Thanks

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I have P790's but cant understand why you would do that as I believe there is no such thing as "traditional lofts". I also cant see it affecting moi or CG.

Tiewebbgolf

Visit site
Trying to get bit more spin out them by adding loft was my thinking.
Struggling to hold greens in summer months.
Appreciate your info

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
The P790 clubs are TaylorMade easiest to hit clubs in the P range so, I suspect, that any inability to hit them properly is a swing fault issue rather than a club issue. They are certainly not, in my opinion, traditional game improver clubs as they do seem to require a more quality strike than other irons I've had, but the well hit shot is rewarded with great distance which is why the lofts are what they are.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Weakening lofts will increase bounce, I don't think it will affect CoG or MOI.

If you've tweaked your 7 iron to be an 8 iron then you'll have a longer length 8 iron, and that's not allowing for club length creep over the years either.

As an alternative route, try buying a set of vintage clubs rather than bending your TM clubs. :)
Far cheaper and you can choose your decade for lofts, see below for guide.

1549703219805.png

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Appreciate your info
I have a set of 790's and the main reason they're not in the bag is that they're almost impossible to stop quickly. The long irons are fantastic. 5-7 are very long and very easy to hit. But the 8-PW launch high and with at least 2k spin less than other clubs. I'd prefer to hit 1 club more but stop quicker so I went to the CB's instead.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi, I’ve had my p790 irons bent to traditional lofts, do you think this will mess up CG and MOI?
Any info would be appreciated

Thanks
Appreciate your info

Won't affect CG or MOI and will have negligible impact on the balls spin rate relative to other factors...
1. Clubhead speed
2. AoA - the most closely related to your change
3. Ball

Of these the ball is the obvious, and easiest, starting point

Tiewebbgolf

Visit site
I have a set of 790's and the main reason they're not in the bag is that they're almost impossible to stop quickly. The long irons are fantastic. 5-7 are very long and very easy to hit. But the 8-PW launch high and with at least 2k spin less than other clubs. I'd prefer to hit 1 club more but stop quicker so I went to the CB's instead.
Yes that’s a good assessment of irons bluewolf👍🏼 If adjusting lofts don’t work I’ll be looking at a different type of iron soon🙈

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes I’ve had a lesson or 2 homer, I play off 4 so semi know how to hit irons
But struggle with the low spin these irons produce
Thanks for feedback

Off 4 I suspect you know what to do better than most. As far as I understand, these sort of clubs dont spin so much as they're designed for the distance they give, but, because they generally fly high they still give decent stop on greens.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did you get fit for these as they seem a strange choice for a 4 capper.
Your strike is important .
My mate is off 1 but he sweeps everything (no divots) this lowers his spin rates a lot.
You may need to change irons or could be the shaft!

I would think a nice set of bladed irons would fix your spin problem.
Can get used ones to try .
My honest advice is you need to see a fitter get head shaft combo to suit the spin rate you want.
This will give you more yardage control and stopping power.
Try as many as you can.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Did you get fit for these as they seem a strange choice for a 4 capper....

what is strange about it?

forged head
no exaggerated offset
players/tour head size

Whilst they go the high launch low spin route that's not exclusive to high handicappers by any means, and in general these aren't marketed at high handicappers.

Tiewebbgolf

Visit site
Did you get fit for these as they seem a strange choice for a 4 capper.
Your strike is important .
My mate is off 1 but he sweeps everything (no divots) this lowers his spin rates a lot.
You may need to change irons or could be the shaft!

I would think a nice set of bladed irons would fix your spin problem.
Can get used ones to try .
My honest advice is you need to see a fitter get head shaft combo to suit the spin rate you want.
This will give you more yardage control and stopping power.
Try as many as you can.
I played a set of mp 69’s before these, but not the greatest ball striker (decent short game keeps my handicap down) so mishits were punished. So I decided more help would be best, went for semi fitting at local American golf and hit the p790 great and I still do! But AG don’t use trackman or similar so couldn’t see spin, when it’s dry summer months these irons will just not stop on greens! I’m not slating the irons cause they are great at what they do. If they spun more they would be perfect 👌🏼

Tiewebbgolf

Visit site

forged head
no exaggerated offset
players/tour head size

Whilst they go the high launch low spin route that's not exclusive to high handicappers by any means, and in general these aren't marketed at high handicappers.
Absolutely Duncan they are almost the perfect iron! If I could get another 1000 revs of spin I’d say best irons ever made👍🏼

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

forged head
no exaggerated offset
players/tour head size

Yes but a 4 capper needs control.
Yardage control is everything in irons .
It’s no good having irons you can’t stop on the green.
Between blades and these there’s plenty of irons that spin more and you can stop at the distance you want.
It’s a trade off and if your greens are firm you need something that spins it more, it’s not really height that stops a ball it’s spin.
Although it’s a mix of both.
I can stop a low checking wedge but not a low less spin shot on the same trajectory.
You need spin that suits where you play!