Oxford English Dictionary

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Any ideas on a re-write for this definition in the OED?
Handicap: the number of strokes by which a golfer normally exceeds par for the course.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Handicap: Def. "A universally understood metric by which the relative capability of golfers was described. This was discontinued in 2020 when it was decided to replace it with something less comprehensible. (but apparently will encourage more people to take up the game! :ROFLMAO:
Ooh..you old cynic :ROFLMAO:

RichA

Visit site
...but apparently will encourage more people to take up the game! :ROFLMAO:
I find this funny. Never a member or had a handicap until late last year.
I get the impression that a handicap used to be based on the score your mate on the handicap committee felt you might make on a perfect day and wouldn't dent your ego.
My initial handicap is based on my worst round since I came back from a 10 year break, played in wind and rain.
Bad for my ego. Really bad for making friends amongst the low-mid handicap membership during my first competition.

D-S

Visit site
I find this funny. Never a member or had a handicap until late last year.
I get the impression that a handicap used to be based on the score your mate on the handicap committee felt you might make on a perfect day and wouldn't dent your ego.
My initial handicap is based on my worst round since I came back from a 10 year break, played in wind and rain.
Bad for my ego. Really bad for making friends amongst the low-mid handicap membership during my first competition.
You played 54 holes in the wind and rain?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Handicap: A number used to measure the length of your .....................

Crumplezone

Visit site
The average number of strokes by which a golfer would like other golfers to believe they exceed par on average. This may be considerably higher or lower than the actual figure depending on the impression they wish to give.