Over / Under Handicap (Mid-round)

Eagle2

Visit site
I've seen a few comments lately saying they were 3 under handicap after 7 holes etc. and it has got me thinking... how do you judge your round as you go along?

I never have that thought in my head and I wonder if thats why its quite easy for me to get 4 or 5 holes in and feel like I have already lost the round? I am currently off 14 and feel like I have it in me to go lower with a couple of +9 or 10 gross scores recently.

In every round I play, my Garmin watch is recording my gross over par and if I hit the 13th or 14th above 10 over I feel like I wont be shooting a good score that day. The back end holes are tough and although I have played them all well at times - I just think mentally I will lose 4 or 5 shots in those last holes causing me to mentally accept its not going to be a cut etc. anyway... back to the point of the post - am I the only one who hasn't been playing the course like this in my head... I think it could be really positive for me to know that after 4 holes if I am +3 gross then I am actually level par and not starting to slide out of contention? If I then par a couple of the next which is something I have been consistently doing then I could actually be under for the round. I am not sure if this is even making much sense but I have almost pictured it as if you are on sky sports and if I bogey the 1st then the little box with my name appears as E level par... anything better and I am starting the round 1 or 2 under.

Be interesting to know (particularly in medal rounds as I do record my points hole by hole in Stableford) whether mentally you are viewing your score taking your shot holes into account and "expecting" to par those "easier" holes you don't ;-)

Eagle2

Visit site
Also I appreciate none of it matters in Medal as its the total deducted but the point of this is how you view it mid round? Is it a thing?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you wanted to count it, the logical way would be on stableford, and whether you are above or below level 2s, i.e. an average of 2 points a hole. If you are doing better, you are probably (depending on CSS) doing better than handicap, belle, doing worse.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I always know where I stand. Whether it is medal or stableford I want to be through the first four holes in the equivalent of level 2's. I would like to be out in no more than 2 over handicap (10 and 11 give opportunities for a par - net birdie in stableford). I find it does help me as our closing stretch are tricky and so know if I need to put the foot down and perhaps be more attacking if I am behind and feel I can contend (you usually know after 11 holes if you aren't swinging that great) and if it isn't going well I'll set a personal target even if a 0.1 is inevitable. If I feel I am in the mix (of course you can only control your own ball and score so if someone comes in lower then nothing you can do) then I don't find it bothers me too much. One shot at a time

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I effectively do a stableford score in my head, so off 14 I know I don't get shots on our 8th and 9th so ideally need to par those. If I've had 4 pars on the front nine with no blow ups then I know I'm under as second nine should be easier.

Saying that they often say stay focused on the current so being aware of a score can be a hindrance either way so if you're not in the habit of doing it then perhaps best not to add up - I just know without trying so hard to force it out of your mind.

The other one is to break it up into 3 or 6 holes, so off your handicap aim to be +2 or +4 for each 3 or 6 hole set, and then reset no matter what the score so when you get to the 7th for example it's as if your starting from scratch trying to play the next 6 holes on +4 or maybe simplify it to 2 or 3 pars in that section.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The other one is to break it up into 3 or 6 holes, so off your handicap aim to be +2 or +4 for each 3 or 6 hole set, and then reset no matter what the score so when you get to the 7th for example it's as if your starting from scratch trying to play the next 6 holes on +4 or maybe simplify it to 2 or 3 pars in that section.

That is a good method too, playing a series of 3 hole matchplay games vs your handicap.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you wanted to count it, the logical way would be on stableford, and whether you are above or below level 2s, i.e. an average of 2 points a hole. If you are doing better, you are probably (depending on CSS) doing better than handicap, belle, doing worse.
Yeah this for me. I use Hole19 app and put my scores in, so while I have it on Stableford mode it tells me how many points I have accrued as I go along. So if I've played 6 holes and it says I have 12 points then I have played to my handicap thus far. It sometimes surprises me, when I think I've played awfully and I notice it says I'm only 2 points below handicap, so I know a couple of pars can get me right back on track.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I wish I didn't but I always know my Stableford score (which is how I'm playing to handicap) in medal and Stableford comps.

I'd love to be able to switch off and just hit one shot at a time but try as I might I can't do it, even when playing practice rounds I'm adding the score up as I go along.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just goes to show that stableford is a handicappers game.
I’d struggle to know what my Stableford score was at any given point in a round, but I’ll know how I’d be doing gross.
Weirdly, when we do play stableford comps, if I know I’m set for a outside level par round I’ll give up. It’s just not easy to catch back up with 1 shot either 9. But in medal play I’ll fight till the last shot.
I’ve turned medal scores around in the last 5 holes but I’d have given up in stableford comps

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just goes to show that stableford is a handicappers game.
I’d struggle to know what my Stableford score was at any given point in a round, but I’ll know how I’d be doing gross.
Weirdly, when we do play stableford comps, if I know I’m set for a outside level par round I’ll give up. It’s just not easy to catch back up with 1 shot either 9. But in medal play I’ll fight till the last shot.
I’ve turned medal scores around in the last 5 holes but I’d have given up in stableford comps

I prefer to measure it against stableford as it's just easier but I am equally capable of working out where I am to par. We have club champs coming up and so you take my first four holes (level 2's) I'd need to be out in +3 gross after four to feel I am on track. I would need to be out in +6 gross (and back the same) so simple enough to do.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I look at it where I am to par. I'll only calculate the stableford points up at the end if I need to.
No point in thinking ahead though, that's where it can go wrong. Just concentrate on the hole you're on.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I don’t think about what I’m going to shoot, just try to stay in the present and even if the wheels are falling off just smile and stay positive. I never look at the card or add scores mid round.
Saturday was very windy, 3 points through 5 holes!!! but finished the front 9 with 11 points and then 18 points on the back 9 for 29 points total. It could easily have been a sub 20 points round but you go out there to play golf, enjoy the course and company. You’ve got to remember it’s only a game. As soon as I start trying to predict a score or saying to myself I just need a couple of pars and bogies and I’ll be good it becomes a struggle.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It's all about protecting/aiming for/beating the handicap/buffer.

After turning pro, I obviously lost my h/cap and my scores immediately improved by 2-3 shots per round as I had nothing to protect. I just new that each birdie earned me more money.
If club golfers could do the same, they too would improve.

Sadly, and I've seen it many times, people get to the last 3 or 4 holes, realise they are under h/cap and back off to protect the cut. 3 or 4 bogies often follow.

I played in a pro-am once when one of the team was undecided about hitting driver or iron off the tee. He checked the card, saw he had a stroke and hit the iron. Madness, as he had been driving well.

My advice would be try and birdie every hole (good players) or par every hole (not so good players).

One way to help is to have a bet with your mates (not necessarily your playing partners), everyone throws in £1/£2/£3 whatever, and the best score on the last 4 or 6 holes wins the money.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s good to practice being under pressure so during practice you can create it quite easily.

Often you know you are doing well vs bad so it’s good to get used to it before a big competition comes around.

When it counts the best thing is to draw yourself into the shot in front of you and making the shot after it as easy as possible. You will still know and there will still be pressure so mentally practice techniques to deal with it.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In a Stableford comp if my first 9 is around 14 points I know I have got no chance of winning even with say 22 points on the back 9 that is only 36 points and over handicap.

It does not stop me from playing every hole to the best of my ability though.

I have mate who clearly gives up and starts playing around with his game and it can be quite distracting.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
In a Stableford comp if my first 9 is around 14 points I know I have got no chance of winning even with say 22 points on the back 9 that is only 36 points and over handicap.

It does not stop me from playing every hole to the best of my ability though.

I have mate who clearly gives up and starts playing around with his game and it can be quite distracting.

Under WHS, even not great scores can be important. The 8 scores out of 20 that determine your handicap will include some better than your handicap and some worse (that is how averages work), so that 32 points score could count, may be worth still trying to score well.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's all about protecting/aiming for/beating the handicap/buffer.

After turning pro, I obviously lost my h/cap and my scores immediately improved by 2-3 shots per round as I had nothing to protect. I just new that each birdie earned me more money.
If club golfers could do the same, they too would improve.

Sadly, and I've seen it many times, people get to the last 3 or 4 holes, realise they are under h/cap and back off to protect the cut. 3 or 4 bogies often follow.

I played in a pro-am once when one of the team was undecided about hitting driver or iron off the tee. He checked the card, saw he had a stroke and hit the iron. Madness, as he had been driving well.

My advice would be try and birdie every hole (good players) or par every hole (not so good players).

One way to help is to have a bet with your mates (not necessarily your playing partners), everyone throws in £1/£2/£3 whatever, and the best score on the last 4 or 6 holes wins the money.
I personally think that's madness, and outrageous. Every time I play I'm trying to get the best score I can - for me that is what golf is all about. If I wasn't trying to get the best score I shouldn't have turned up.

I agree with you about stroke index as well. I wouldn't let having a shot or not affect how I play a hole, my only thought is the best way to play the hole for my game - what's the most likely way to result in the least strokes. Even in Stableford, after all, 3 points is better than 2 points.