Over-rated Bands / Musicians

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
These topics never work, along with Humour, comedians, movies, TV shows and music is all about taste. I have no idea why I hate the sound of certain bands and love others, I have no idea why I love some comedians and hate others, I just do and I am sure it is the same with others.

The fact of someone liking or disliking something is not relevant to whether they really are any good is it.
e
It is something the British are very good, enjoying hating stuff and not enjoying the stuff they love so much. In facxt people take enjoyment from finding like minded people that hate the same things they do. How sad

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not a band but a song RadioX listeners poll for 100 best British songs had Live Forever by Oasis as number 1, it was number 1 last year too I believe, I don't mind Oasis but that song is nothing special in my opinion.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
These topics never work, along with Humour, comedians, movies, TV shows and music is all about taste. I have no idea why I hate the sound of certain bands and love others, I have no idea why I love some comedians and hate others, I just do and I am sure it is the same with others.

The fact of someone liking or disliking something is not relevant to whether they really are any good is it.
e
It is something the British are very good, enjoying hating stuff and not enjoying the stuff they love so much. In facxt people take enjoyment from finding like minded people that hate the same things they do. How sad
Bear in mind that Andy Edwards really likes most of the bands on his list, and actually loves some of them. He just thinks that when their catalogues are looked at as a whole they can be at best patchy, with much brilliant stuff interspersed or alongside a stuff that’s just not of the same calibre, indeed some of it is poor. Indeed he and I might well love Comfortably Numb, but can equally think much of the rest of The Wall is tedious. And then there is all the more recent or post The Wall stuff that oft is just nowhere near the Floyd classic and best stuff.

And even bands he loves he can see them as overrated as he can cite one or more alternative bands of the same or similar genre who actually do it as good if not much the better, and consistently over all their releases.

But he explains all of this in his video.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not a band but a song RadioX listeners poll for 100 best British songs had Live Forever by Oasis as number 1, it was number 1 last year too I believe, I don't mind Oasis but that song is nothing special in my opinion.
It's a great song with a great message that's just applicable today. Noel said he wrote it after he saw Nirvana had a song called 'I Hate Myself And I Want To Die' and he thought "sod that rubbish, I want to live forever". That perhaps doesn't quite come across in the lyrics though.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If he thinks Pink Floyd are the most overrated band of all time, he doesn't understand music.
He's also never listened to Comfortably Numb.

The most overrated band in the world is, obviously, The Smiths.
In some ways he doesn’t - he just thinks that as they are often cited as the greatest and most important band ever then they need to have the most to offer to live up to that - and as much as he really likes Floyd - most especially the Syd Barrett era stuff and that which Barrett inspired, he thinks they just don’t merit being on the top of the very highest pedestal. Their catalogue just doesn’t support it.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's a great song with a great message that's just applicable today. Noel said he wrote it after he saw Nirvana had a song called 'I Hate Myself And I Want To Die' and he thought "sod that rubbish, I want to live forever". That perhaps doesn't quite come across in the lyrics though.
maybe I need to listen to it a few times

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Bear in mind that Andy Edwards really likes most of the bands on his list, and actually loves some of them. He just thinks that when their catalogues are looked at as a whole they can be at best patchy, with much brilliant stuff interspersed or alongside a stuff that’s just not of the same calibre, indeed some of it is poor.
So why isn't Zappa on his list? Now there's a musical genius, but 90% of his output is just painful.
But he explains all of this in his video.
Sitting through Andy's videos requires the patience of a saint. He could make his (often very valid) points in 1/10th of the time he takes.

(Mind you, he's a hell of a drummer).

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So why isn't Zappa on his list? Now there's a musical genius, but 90% of his output is just painful.

Sitting through Andy's videos requires the patience of a saint. He could make his (often very valid) points in 1/10th of the time he takes.

(Mind you, he's a hell of a drummer).
I guess when you only have ten…

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I could sail through life without ever listening to another Beatles song.
Maybe he felt he couldn’t have both the The Beach Boys and the Beatles on his list 🤔

And he tried to not let his personal taste and likes influence things. And likewise as much as I love Pink Floyd I can see how he might consider them overrated. And as far as Marillion and Queen - absolutely 100% agree.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
ps the Smiths were class.
Not as good as the Stranglers, Devo, Magazine etc. but still class, unlike the Clash!
I saw The Clash 8 times between 1977 and 1981. The best gigs I've ever seen in my life, and my favourite band to this day. I loved punk, but without them it would have been a dead end. They turned a lot of people on politically, and weren't afraid to experiment musically.

Devo were a joke band, and the joke wore thin very quickly. I liked The Stranglers, bought most of the early singles, saw them live a good few times, but the misogynistic stuff turned me off them.

The Smiths were my second favourite band, absolutely loved them, Marr is a musical genius and Morrissey was a fantastic lyricist. Just a pity he turned into a far right nut job.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Some Beatles songs I don't mind listening to

I Wanna Be Your Man - Rolling Stones
Come And Get It - Bad Finger
Goodbye - Mary Hopkin

and one that I particularly like hearing is Sinatra's rendition of "Something".

One I can do without though,
Step Inside Love - Cilla Black

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
But you don't have to, I don't listen to any music I dont' like, why would I. Even on teh radio I am a serial station hopper, if it's playing anything I don't like I move on to the next. Now stuff I don't mind or care about is different. It's the same with tv's, movies and books, if I don't like it I don't do it. It always amazes me how many people wade through stuff they dislike, life is way too short for that.

it's even the sam eon the forums, the topics tahta re a total waste of time for me get ignored, just not wading through that dross.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Any band that makes, or made, millions can’t be half bad. Do I think some bands are very inconsistent? And, again, it’s subjective. I love Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd but I’m not impressed with the rest of their stuff, especially Another Brick in the Wall. Rumours by Fleetwood Mac is iconic but the rest of the back catalogue is meh, but that’s just my tastes.

Queen’s Night at the Opera has some great tracks but also a couple that just in it out to make the numbers up. Queen were fading away badly till Live Aid gave them a second life. Michael Jackson similarly till the Thriller album.

One band did a great job of reinventing itself through a few singer/song writers moving on is Genesis. The last album of their’s I enjoyed was And then there were Three. Their style changed quite dramatically after that, and I felt they lost it. Yet they had more chart success post-Then there were Three than before.

It’s all about taste but if they were making millions they were doing right by some people

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Queen’s Night at the Opera has some great tracks but also a couple that just in it out to make the numbers up. Queen were fading away badly till Live Aid gave them a second life. Michael Jackson similarly till the Thriller album.
I'm a big Queen fan so I've glossed over the tosh some have posted :rolleyes: . With a band such as Queen, along with many others, if you release enough albums, you are bound to have fillers in there, name me an album that doesn't? Put together a Greatest Hits album though and every one is a banger. It's not even a struggle to fill that album. They probably warrant a double album / cd of belters.

Anyone putting Queen in their list is looking for clicks. (walks away in a huff) 😂