Over-rated Bands / Musicians

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
Is Mike Oldfield over-rated?

Tubular Bells.

Ommadawn.

Hergest Ridge.

Then not a lot after that which was rated as highly.

But isn't that body of work enough to put him up there as a ground-breaker in his genre?

Much like Pink Floyd IMO.

Which groups that have not been overrated that have maybe 3-5 or more great albums?

Last edited:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Which groups that have not been overrated that have maybe 3-5 or more great albums?

I’d very much expect the answer to this to be whatever any individual’s favourite bands are.

For me, it’s got to be Genesis. Their 2nd album, Trespass is in touching distance of being excellent on every track. And their 3rd album, Nursey Cryme even more so. From their 4th album, Foxtrot, saw the start of a run of stunning albums through to their 9th album, And then there were Three. Their 10th album, Duke, reached number 1 in the album charts but although it started a run of 5 U.K. number 1 albums, their style didn’t hit the spot for me.

Their 13th & 14th albums, Invisible Touch and We can’t Dance albums, went Platinum in a number of countries. From 1969 through to 1991 saw a huge amount of success even though Peter Gabriel left after their 6th album in 1975, and Steve Hackett left after their 8th album in 1976. Peter Gabriel’s solo career has seen some ground breaking music, whilst Steve Hackett’s solo concerts are well worth the ticket price.

Supertramp’s 3rd album, Crime of the Century in 1974 through to their 7th album Brother where you Bound, are consistently good albums and polled high in the charts. They had two excellent writers in Rick Davies & Roger Hodgson, Hodgson having a decent solo career, post-Supertramp, and still touring very successfully through to 2018. Hodgson’s vocals, complimented by some excellent writing, are worth a listen.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site

Tubular Bells.

Ommadawn.

Hergest Ridge.

I'm quite a big Oldfield fan, but have to say that Hergest Ridge is pretty forgettable.
And if you think nothing he's done since those first three albums are worthwhile, you're missing out on some fantastic stuff. Platinum, QE2 and Five Miles Out are great, as is Tubular Bells 2.
And finally, Amarok is a masterpiece (despite the dodgy Thatcher bit at the end). Takes a bit of effort to understand, but once the penny drops it's obviously his best album.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I'm quite a big Oldfield fan, but have to say that Hergest Ridge is pretty forgettable.
And if you think nothing he's done since those first three albums are worthwhile, you're missing out on some fantastic stuff. Platinum, QE2 and Five Miles Out are great, as is Tubular Bells 2.
And finally, Amarok is a masterpiece (despite the dodgy Thatcher bit at the end). Takes a bit of effort to understand, but once the penny drops it's obviously his best album.

Not heard Amarok for years and, in truth, had forgotten about it. And yes, better than Tubular Bells.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Am a subscriber to a music YouTuber called Andy Edwards…and a recent piece he published was on just this The Most Overrated Bands. His credentials and knowledge are solid, and his top ten had me nodding. But especially his ‘top’ three.

#3 Marillion
#2 Queen
#1 Pink Floyd

I was cheering at his #3 and #2.

There have been I for years (40 in fact) thinking am I the only one in this country who thinks Marillion are just a poor pastiche of PG era Genesis - pumped out for those in the early 80s who thought that Genesis was the PC era pop rot, but had never listened to the earlier stuff. What was I missing. No - Andy agrees with me.

And Queen - again I thought I was the only person on the planet who liked many of the singles but got bored listening to the rocky fillers on the albums…I listened, got bored, and so, never bought an album - not even a greatest hits. And that was right from the very start - Sheer Heart Attack; Night at the Opera/Races included - never mind the later stuff. Sorry. Hurrah.

But Pink Floyd was a challenge. I really like Echoes (on Meddle) and love TDSotM and WYWH. Great, great albums. But when I thought about it. Pre TDSotM and other than Echoes, I only really like bits and pieces here and there on the earlier albums. And after WYWH…some of Animals, but The Wall…mmmh…bits of it. But after that I just disconnected from it. I couldn’t be bothered. Still a great band, but yes…I must admit…probably overrated.

So Andy…Thankyou…and yes I agree that New Order are/were better overall than Joy Division…as good as Joy Division were.

Totally disagree about Marillion. Not only the Fish era but since he left they have continued to write some excellent tracks and albums both musicaly and lyrically. One of those bands that it seems trendy and easy to discredit at frequent intervals

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The point is, is there a degree of significant inconsistency across all of a bands/individuals output that means that even their greatest fans can admit that some really isn’t very good, indeed some is rubbish, and so rather takes from the view of other (mostly fans) that they are the very greatest, or at least up there with the very greatest.

So, for instance, a question for Led Zeppelin fans…have they produced any rubbish - not just stuff that isn’t quite up to Led Zep III standard, but actually pretty terrible. Or is their stuff pretty much of a very high standard across the board.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Totally disagree about Marillion. Not only the Fish era but since he left they have continued to write some excellent tracks and albums both musicaly and lyrically. One of those bands that it seems trendy and easy to discredit at frequent intervals
But are they overrated. Is it that their stuff is good and rated by many because it is often a very good pastiche of the mostly brilliant PG-era Genesis. Because that’s what I thought from the first time I heard them way back in the day.

Having recently revisited it I really like Misplaced Childhood, didn’t change my view though…I haven’t yet got to having another listen to Script for a Jester’s Tear - I suspect I’ll feel the same as it was what I’d have first heard back then and that caused me to form my views.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not heard Amarok for years and, in truth, had forgotten about it. And yes, better than Tubular Bells.
Only picked up on Amorak in the last year or two…and first listenings it wasn’t for me up with TB or others. But I know that the early MO is so engrained in my music psyche that it will be difficult to knock off the pedestal of greatness. That said I need to listen more as Amarok is indeed much lauded, and so merits more listens.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Context is everything

Oasis would not exist if it hadnt been for the Beatles, Their influence is so huge, so massive, that the entire popular music /rock combo genre would look very different now had Lennon & McCartney become bricklayers.
You simply cannot compare them, Chalk n cheese, different eras etc
I think a lot of people don't understand or appreciate the impact The Beatles had on music. They were doing things in the 60's nobody else (apart from Brian Wilson) were trying. Nowadays it may sound old hat, but back then it was ground breaking.
But, this is a thread about opinions.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Tubular Bells.

Ommadawn.

Hergest Ridge.

But isn't that body of work enough to put him up there as a ground-breaker in his genre?

Much like Pink Floyd IMO.

I love Mike Oldfield, and although nothing had the same commercial success after TB, most of his albums are excellent.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Only picked up on Amorak in the last year or two…and first listenings it wasn’t for me up with TB or others. But I know that the early MO is so engrained in my music psyche that it will be difficult to knock off the pedestal of greatness. That said I need to listen more as Amarok is indeed much lauded, and so merits more listens.
On first few listens Amarok just sounds like a chaotic hotchpotch.
But give it time and suddenly it snaps into focus. Perhaps put it on while you're doing something else. For me, I had it on while doing some ironing and there was a "moment of seeing". Not gradual, but an instant "aha! now I get it".

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
So, for instance, a question for Led Zeppelin fans…have they produced any rubbish - not just stuff that isn’t quite up to Led Zep III standard, but actually pretty terrible. Or is their stuff pretty much of a very high standard across the board.
A lot of In Through The Out Door is pretty dodgy, with the notable exception of Fool In The Rain, and possibly In The Evening.

And of course Coda is just a bunch of bits off the cutting room floor. (Although I personally have a soft spot for Darlene).

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I look at this thread and then I think the (IMHO) should have been put at the end of the title thread, as it's all about opinions. There are some mega successful bands who people hate. Other ones that hold on to that mantle of being great. But the longer a band has been in existence, the more duff stuff you can refer to, as nobody can make every song perfect.
I can't get into the prog rock stuff and hate fluffy pop (most of the time) but how do you define over-rated?

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
I’d very much expect the answer to this to be whatever any individual’s favourite bands are.

For me, it’s got to be Genesis. Their 2nd album, Trespass is in touching distance of being excellent on every track. And their 3rd album, Nursey Cryme even more so. From their 4th album, Foxtrot, saw the start of a run of stunning albums through to their 9th album, And then there were Three. Their 10th album, Duke, reached number 1 in the album charts but although it started a run of 5 U.K. number 1 albums, their style didn’t hit the spot for me.

Their 13th & 14th albums, Invisible Touch and We can’t Dance albums, went Platinum in a number of countries. From 1969 through to 1991 saw a huge amount of success even though Peter Gabriel left after their 6th album in 1975, and Steve Hackett left after their 8th album in 1976. Peter Gabriel’s solo career has seen some ground breaking music, whilst Steve Hackett’s solo concerts are well worth the ticket price.

Supertramp’s 3rd album, Crime of the Century in 1974 through to their 7th album Brother where you Bound, are consistently good albums and polled high in the charts. They had two excellent writers in Rick Davies & Roger Hodgson, Hodgson having a decent solo career, post-Supertramp, and still touring very successfully through to 2018. Hodgson’s vocals, complimented by some excellent writing, are worth a listen.
Can't argue with much of what you say about Genesis. I have most of their albums up to and slightly beyond ATTWT - too 'pop' for me after that, much down to Collins wanting more mainstream success.

I've seen them twice live, London and Roundhay Park in Leeds - too many people there and speakers half-way down the venue which had to be synched to stop an echo sound!

P.S. I am firmly in the Gabriel camp. :D

Last edited:

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
I have all of the albums you mention, except for Amorak (which I have my youtube playlist), and like them too. I think Hergest Ridge is a bit of a Marmite album tbh.

I was more saying that many people think that he declined after those early albums, and therefore say he is over-rated because he didn't quite have as much success later.

I saw him in London around 1979/80 for the Incantations tour.

P.S. I also like his soundtrack for The Killing Fields.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
The point is, is there a degree of significant inconsistency across all of a bands/individuals output that means that even their greatest fans can admit that some really isn’t very good, indeed some is rubbish, and so rather takes from the view of other (mostly fans) that they are the very greatest, or at least up there with the very greatest.

Many years ago I bought all of the Led Zep cds in one go because there was a great deal going at Virgin records.

There is a lot of mediocre stuff in there - some great songs and some so-so.

But then you watch them on The Song Remains the Same film, and you see the greatness in how they play together.

I think that they mostly excelled in playing live, and I would say the same could be said for Queen.

Last edited:

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Can't argue with much of what you say about Genesis. I have most of their albums up to and slightly beyond ATTWT - too 'pop' for me after that, much down to Collins wanting more mainstream success.
ATTWT is listenable, but that's where the rot set in.
Duke has four fabulous tracks (Behind the Lines, Duchess, Duke's Travels, Duke's End), the stuff in between is dire.
Then Abacab came out and that's the point where I gave up.
Best Genesis album? A toss up between SEBTP and TOTT for me.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I look at this thread and then I think the (IMHO) should have been put at the end of the title thread, as it's all about opinions. There are some mega successful bands who people hate. Other ones that hold on to that mantle of being great. But the longer a band has been in existence, the more duff stuff you can refer to, as nobody can make every song perfect.
I can't get into the prog rock stuff and hate fluffy pop (most of the time) but how do you define over-rated?
Andy Edwards in his vid explains how he tried to remove his ‘likes’ from how he was judging over-rated (he’s actually a prog and jazz-rock guy). So a lot of the bands he considered over-rated were actually bands he really likes or even if he doesn’t really like them accepts they have produced some great music. But of course, and as he says, it is just his opinion and he knows many will disagree.

Just made me nod in agreement when he included Marillion and Queen in his ten since as much as I like some of their stuff I have never really got why they were so highly rated.

That he included Pink Floyd was quite another matter as i just love some of their albums, but on honest reflection I know that I can’t be that bothered with a lot of what they have done…including (takes deep breath) not being that wowed by ‘Comfortably Numb’ - I like it but the way it is talked about you’d think it had the greatest guitar solo ever.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
That he included Pink Floyd was quite another matter as i just love some of their albums, but on honest reflection I know that I can’t be that bothered with a lot of what they have done…including (takes deep breath) not being that wowed by ‘Comfortably Numb’ - I like it but the way it is talked about you’d think it had the greatest guitar solo ever.

I can't think of many better.