Over-rated Bands / Musicians

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not a single mention for Cliff Richard! Lot of closet Cliff fans on here!

Oh Good call.
Ol Wooden Legs
His dance moves used to crease me up especially congratulations.
Later in his career he actually had some good songs but because he was singing them they flopped. As an example imagine Cream playing Devil Woman
If we are going back to that era I think Adam Faith truly stole the biscuit.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I always find these specific topics a little odd.

Music, comedy and tv shows / movies are very specific to the individual.

I have no idea why a like a specific type of music and hate others or why some comedians crack me up and others i cannot stand but what I do know is it must be the same for others.

I think this band is crap or this comedian or show is rubbish but others love them who knows but it is certainly not a judgement on those that like them in fact it some times comes across a bit pretentious, oh you like them do you they suck how could you.

It's like people that that continually whinge about people that watch a lot of sport while they watch all the soaps.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I finding some of the responses quite strange.

Me too

There are bands/singers who I wouldn't walk to the local pub to watch but cant say they are over rated because my taste will differ from others. I dont like certain genres of music eg rap, jazz but am sure that the best artists in those fields are NOT over rated but I'll not listen to them. I also find it strange that people criticise other people's views on who they like and dont like.

But, in growing up in the late 50's and 60's The Beatles were awesome, so stick that in your pipe and smoke it ??

Last edited:

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Me too

There are bands/singers who I wouldn't walk to the local pub to watch but cant say they are over rated because my taste will differ from others. I dont like certain genres of music eg rap, jazz but am sure that the best artists in those fields are NOT over rated but I'll not listen to them. I also find it strange that people criticise other people's views on who they like and dont like.

But, in growing up in the late 50's and 60's The Beatles were awesome, so stick that in your pipe and smoke it ??
Agree with the Beatles Chris, though you can keep the 50’s !

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I always find these specific topics a little odd.

Music, comedy and tv shows / movies are very specific to the individual.

I have no idea why a like a specific type of music and hate others or why some comedians crack me up and others i cannot stand but what I do know is it must be the same for others.

I think this band is crap or this comedian or show is rubbish but others love them who knows but it is certainly not a judgement on those that like them in fact it some times comes across a bit pretentious, oh you like them do you they suck how could you.

It's like people that that continually whinge about people that watch a lot of sport while they watch all the soaps.
Agree. People have different tastes shocker!
Over-rated by whom?
Still the references to "rap music", whatever that is, made me chuckle.
I guess just stick to "sing music" ???

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
One my favs is James blunt. Mainly because people try to slate him on Twitter and he cuts them down with one remark

He's hilarious

Bought one of his albums based on a few tracks.... music to hang yourself by.:sick: I, quite literally, can't listen to it in one go.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I finding some of the responses quite strange.

Good point-ish.

As PaulJ said, if they can fill a stadium they can't be half bad. Equally, as Chrisd said, there's bands I wouldn't bother going to the local pub to see, and that includes the stellar stars in my original list. The Who might fill a stadium but, to me, they are awful, ergo overrated in my eyes.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Good point-ish.

As PaulJ said, if they can fill a stadium they can't be half bad. Equally, as Chrisd said, there's bands I wouldn't bother going to the local pub to see, and that includes the stellar stars in my original list. The Who might fill a stadium but, to me, they are awful, ergo overrated in my eyes.

I'd suggest there's 3 categories of bands Brian; bands you like or get; bands you don't like but which you can understand why other people like them; and bands that you neither like or get the love for or the hype about. I took Tongo's OP to be ones that fit category 3.