Over-rated Bands / Musicians

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Pet shop boys.
Kyle Monogue.
Lulu.

Can't leave without standing up for the Beatles. You have to look at them in context of the time they emerged, they were a breath of fresh air in the early 1960's, the emerging Mersey Beat era brought out a revolution in pop music, I think you had to live it to understand how it broke out of the era of Ballads and late Rock and Roll, what a fabulous time to be a teenager. Absolutely fab ?

Why/. This is about everybody else's thoughts on which bands are overhyped or that they don't get. You might disagree with them, there are others that have been listed that I disagree with, but they doesn't mean that have to be stood up for. There were bands that were equally, if not more influential in my opinion in that era, such as The Rolling Stones & The Who, that were equally a breath of fresh air. You don't have to live it to understand that you think it was overhyped.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Bit like the Top 100 Courses debate.

The bands I don’t care for;

The Who
The Rolling Stones
Deep Purple
Led Zepp
Oasis
Moody Blues

The list is a lot more extensive but would take a long while to compile.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Several groups I’ve never “got”

The Cure, Depeche Mode, Pearl Jam, Aerosmith, Another vote for Elbow.

I’m sure that other non boat floaters will surface

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Why/. This is about everybody else's thoughts on which bands are overhyped or that they don't get. You might disagree with them, there are others that have been listed that I disagree with, but they doesn't mean that have to be stood up for. There were bands that were equally, if not more influential in my opinion in that era, such as The Rolling Stones & The Who, that were equally a breath of fresh air. You don't have to live it to understand that you think it was overhyped.
This is a Forum which by its nature means it's there to put up opinions and allow them to be debated. I wanted to express my personal view on the Beatles which shouldn't be a problem for you, if it is I fail to understand why.

You felt it necessary to cast an opinion on my post so according to your own view you are being hypocritical. Also, I am not compelled to pass opinion on others like The Who or Rolling Stones, why should I?

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Paul McCartney. Beatles great, solo stuff dire.
Travis is another band that does nothing for me.
I would have agreed about Travis about 20 years ago. Absolutely awful early on. Turn, Turn,Turn, Turn. And that other great song Sing, sing, sing sing.

Have to say their later stuff is outstanding. I say later, but around 7-8 years ago they started producing some great stuff.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
U2
Rolling Stones
Amy Winehouse

There are plenty who sell a lot who I think are awful, Kylie, Little Mix for example, but then are they rated anyway?

D

Deleted member 1418

And anyone who has said Little Mix shame on you. What those girls have gone through to achieve success is staggering. Like anyone on here is going to be as successful.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
And anyone who has said Little Mix shame on you. What those girls have gone through to achieve success is staggering. Like anyone on here is going to be as successful.
This isn't about who has worked hard, who deserves success or how does anyone on here compare. It's simply do people find them over rated.

D

Deleted member 1147

Overrated artists/bands?

None of them

Each to their own in my opinion... but the best are Led Zeppelin, Jeff Buckley, Queen, The Beatles, Radiohead, Simon & Garfunkel, Elvis, Blur, The Stone Roses, ELO, Dire Straits and The Doors...of whom I will hear no criticism ??

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have a theory on this.

Utmost respect (doesn't mean I like them, or their music), to any one who writes and performs their own music, and play their own instruments.

Less so for groups of people who jig about, and sing someone else's stuff,

Middle ground, jiggers who sing their own stuff.

If you are performing someone else's music, you might as well be a performing monkey.