Orlando/Disney golf

• Thread starter Deleted member 18121
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18121

Hi all

going to disney for 3 weeks in July this year and will be taking my clubs. It seems that Falcons fire golf club is less that 2 minutes from my accommodation and having had a quick search on here that seems like a decent course so will aim to play it 2-3 times.

So a couple of things really.....apart from booking golf directly with the course is there a "better" way of doing it? Looking at the weather for that area (high temp high humidity) it seems I will be best with a buggy, but will only have my carry bag.

Anything else worth knowing or any tips/hints?

Ta very much.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Can’t give you info on that location but every week I get to see puggled tourists who believed they could walk the course in high temp/high humidity and they don’t always look like they had fun (saw a young lad in his teens in the clubhouse a couple weeks back who just about collapsed an hour after his round and he used a buggy!) So definitely go with buggy, stock up on fluids and rehydrate after too

The usual advice on suncream, hat etc. Take a spare glove so that you can switch during the round when one gets too wet with sweat (I find all weather gloves work really well & generally cheap to buy) and while warm is usually good for hitting it long the humidity will work against your UK summer distances by up to half a club or more

D

Deleted Member 1156

I would play midday as well as the courses tend to majorly busy on the mornings. We would go on tee off times and get a good deal the day before.
I would be more inclined to play in the morning as it is quite typical in Florida to have afternoon thunderstorms as the humidity builds up.
There are several tee times websites where you can book last minute and get some good deals although unlikely for peak morning times. Also some good twilight deals if you want to play later.

The Fader

Visit site
I've never played in Florida when the green fee hasn't included a buggy. They don't encourage walking!!

I always just take my carry bag and it goes on a buggy no problem.

Mornings are best - cooler temperatures and as noted earlier thunderstorms are quite common later in the day in July. Also courses will be relatively quiet in July - the locals think its too hot and unlike the UK, July and August are when green fees are a bit lower to reflect this.

Try looking at GolfNow for teetimes. A lot of good courses at decent prices especially if you can drop on a "hot time".

Falcon's Fire would not be top of my list - the twice I've played it conditions underfoot were very damp. Doesn't seem to drain as well as some others. I would also avoid the Disney courses. Over-rated and overpriced IMHO and so much better choices in the area.

My personal favourites around Orlando - Grand Cypress, Orange County National and Southern Dunes. I'm sure others will suggest alternatives!

If you can swing a whole day for golf and don't mind a bit of a drive - I can't recommend World Woods highly enough. 90 mins drive from Orlando but has 2 Pete Dye designed courses and you can play both on a 36 hole deal for less than you would pay for 18 holes on a top track in the UK.

Enjoy!!

jordan1987

Visit site
I would be more inclined to play in the morning as it is quite typical in Florida to have afternoon thunderstorms as the humidity builds up.
There are several tee times websites where you can book last minute and get some good deals although unlikely for peak morning times. Also some good twilight deals if you want to play later.

There wasn't one thunder storm when I went in October. I played early once and it was a nightmare, queues like a nightclub on the 1st tee.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Orange County National and St Cloud Links are both great, and good value. I get cheap flights out there through my work, and I'm so tempted to go back again... Saving money sucks :cautious:

D

Deleted Member 1156

There wasn't one thunder storm when I went in October. I played early once and it was a nightmare, queues like a nightclub on the 1st tee.
Completely different weather conditions in October.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was there in early August last year. There were thunderstorms 3 days out of 7 and on the other 4 it looked as though it was going to thunder every afternoon. We just got away with it. Mornings were fine, afternoons are the problem.

I actually decided not to play in the end, it was too humid and hot.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Orange County national 20 mins from Disney is by far better than FF.
Mornings are best at this time of year as has been said ,it can be very draining to play pm.
Buggy is essential as there are some very long walks between greens and tees.
I play a lot in this area and if you can get a Golfnow deal caddy for Disney Palm is best imo.

If you don’t mind a bit of a drive I can give you a list of top notch places to play.

Southern Dunes 45/60 mins south on us27.
El Campion course at Mission inn.60mins north on us27 to Howey in the Hills.
Harmony golf club 40mins down us192.
Red tail golf club ,Sorrento (my favourite ) 60mins or less all depends on traffic.
Just a selection .

chimpo1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I played FF many years ago and enjoyed it. I thought it was a decent track. I always walk rather than taking a cart. Just be sure to wear a hat and drink plenty of water.

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Orange County National and St Cloud Links are both great, and good value. I get cheap flights out there through my work, and I'm so tempted to go back again... Saving money sucks :cautious:
St. Cloud links is that the 3 9 holer with the British phone box in the middle of them ?

If so dreadful course and plenty of others to pick around that are so much better :)

YandaB

Visit site
I’m planning on going at a similar time and was thinking of playing one of the Reunion courses. Has anyone played them and can comment?

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I can recommend Bay Hill if you can get on.

I have a mate over there and he says that you do tend to get pretty regular thunderstorms in the early afternoon in summer, plus of course there is the humidity which if you are not used to it or are carrying a bit of extra tonnage, can make it uncomfortable playing golf in the midday heat. Personally I'd use your jet lag to your advantage and get out as early as you can, if you are anything like me you will be up at 4 am at the latest for the first couple of days.

Raziren

Visit site
Sounds like you're staying very near to where I was last year. I was there last July in what was one of their wettest summers in recent years and there were violent thunderstorms pretty much every afternoon. They hung around into the evening and pools etc were evacuated. It was quite annoying - hopefully it's better this year. Keep an eye on the weather and it's worth getting myradar or stormradar apps as they show a forecast for a few hours. You can see where is also currently getting hit and the direction it's moving in. I tried to get away at around mid day - the storms were usually in by 4. The mornings were lovely weather. Just turned up, no pre booking tho did check what tee times were available.
I really enjoyed FF, especially the stretch 13-17 that plays around 2 lakes. Very PGA tour. Don't go looking for balls by ponds tho. The pond at 3/4 had a big green resident for sure.🐊
The 2nd course I played was celebration which is 5/10 mins from FF. This was recommended by a guy working at the golfonline shop when I was buying my travel bag. Also a very good 'US' style course. Download the vpar app and you can have a look at both. FF has a nice range. Celebration has a lake range with floating targets which although different, I didn't really like. Both are off grass.
For on the course or in the USA in general, if USA isn't on your phone plan I recommend getting a 3 payg SIM which will last a month. Then you can use the apps.
Neither course had a weather warning system. I asked a guy in the pro shop what he does when he hears thunder - he said he gets off the course asap. They give a credit for unfinished holes if stopped by weather.
You get a buggy with the green fee and in the heat you need it. They have ice boxes so take liquids and load them up. You'll drink it all. They also have a drinks cart at celebration with a hot milf 👍 doing laps of the course. Also take fresh clothes, for mid round or after. It can get sweaty. As it was so wet last year it was cart path only which was a pain when you hit it the wrong side of the fairway.
That's my brain dump from what I can remember.
Any questions let me know. Have a great trip.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sounds like you're staying very near to where I was last year. I was there last July in what was one of their wettest summers in recent years and there were violent thunderstorms pretty much every afternoon. They hung around into the evening and pools etc were evacuated. It was quite annoying - hopefully it's better this year. Keep an eye on the weather and it's worth getting myradar or stormradar apps as they show a forecast for a few hours. You can see where is also currently getting hit and the direction it's moving in. I tried to get away at around mid day - the storms were usually in by 4. The mornings were lovely weather. Just turned up, no pre booking tho did check what tee times were available.
I really enjoyed FF, especially the stretch 13-17 that plays around 2 lakes. Very PGA tour. Don't go looking for balls by ponds tho. The pond at 3/4 had a big green resident for sure.🐊
The 2nd course I played was celebration which is 5/10 mins from FF. This was recommended by a guy working at the golfonline shop when I was buying my travel bag. Also a very good 'US' style course. Download the vpar app and you can have a look at both. FF has a nice range. Celebration has a lake range with floating targets which although different, I didn't really like. Both are off grass.
For on the course or in the USA in general, if USA isn't on your phone plan I recommend getting a 3 payg SIM which will last a month. Then you can use the apps.
Neither course had a weather warning system. I asked a guy in the pro shop what he does when he hears thunder - he said he gets off the course asap. They give a credit for unfinished holes if stopped by weather.
You get a buggy with the green fee and in the heat you need it. They have ice boxes so take liquids and load them up. You'll drink it all. They also have a drinks cart at celebration with a hot milf 👍 doing laps of the course. Also take fresh clothes, for mid round or after. It can get sweaty. As it was so wet last year it was cart path only which was a pain when you hit it the wrong side of the fairway.
That's my brain dump from what I can remember.
Any questions let me know. Have a great trip.
I quite like Celabration but it’s always been wet when we have been there.
Some spectacular houses on the par five 12th I think.