Order of Play

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
That seems to be a case of (available) Rules being somewhat friendly!

I was thinking it would end up as a 9! 5 strikes and a couple of 2 shot penalties!

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
So first putt is 4. Ball moved rest moved by player is a penalty. Second putt is 6. but now because he has breeched rule 18 the initial penalty of one now becomes a 2 stroke penalty. Give him 7 by any chance??

[Discreet cough] You missed my answer? :confused:

b) So was it a 6 or was it a 7? Remember the player replayed his putt and so he did not play from a wrong place but from where he played his previous stroke. 27-1 (stroke and distance) applies. So that's 4 + 1 stroke + 1 penalty stroke. It's a 6.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
[Discreet cough] You missed my answer? :confused:

Whoops. Yes I did. I'll have to start using my laptop again. Phone screen doesn't make for good flow on the forums. Man these rules get confusing. Do you subscribe to the Barry Rhodes email btw. The "how many strokes" ones are always interesting.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Just to explore this scene a little more and to set a little question for you (the usual suspects keep out!)

What if if the player arguing that he could recall a stroke played out of turn in stroke play had won the argument on the green and his fellow competitor had played the shot again. Taking it that the shot played out of turn was his fourth, what is his score (and why) for the hole

a) if the putt played out of turn was holed and then the player replayed it and holed it again;
b) if the putt played out of turn was not holed and the player replayed it and holed it?

It's a bit harsh penalising the player who was actually not in the wrong, but getting dodgy rules advice from someone else. Does the Jackass who got the ruling wrong get penalised at all...?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Jackass is not penalised for his braying. The hard-nose answer is that a player is responsible for knowing the rules and can only blame himself if he is persuaded into a wrong action by someone else. Fortunately, in the OP's situation, it was a tap-in so no damage was done.

And never forget Rule 3-3. If in doubt play a second ball and get a ruling afterwards.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It's a bit harsh penalising the player who was actually not in the wrong, but getting dodgy rules advice from someone else. Does the Jackass who got the ruling wrong get penalised at all...?

Well he could have used the "I'll play 2 balls" card, which would have saved him that shot - if done properly.

And the jackass gets punished with a swift kick later!

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Jackass is not penalised for his braying. The hard-nose answer is that a player is responsible for knowing the rules and can only blame himself if he is persuaded into a wrong action by someone else. Fortunately, in the OP's situation, it was a tap-in so no damage was done.

And never forget Rule 3-3. If in doubt play a second ball and get a ruling afterwards.

Gotta love this section of the forum. It's like mental gymnastics!