Opinions: Sunningdale and Royal St. George's in March

makaveli

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hello guys, a friend of mine asked me if it was a good idea go and play Sunningdale Old and New and RSG at the beginning of March taking advantage of reduced green fees.
Do you think it's a good idea? Regarding courses conditions, possibility of hollow cored greens, weather?

Thank you very much for the help!
Ciao
iMak

G

guest100718

I have not played those courses in March, but the weather can be changeable to say the least!

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hello guys, a friend of mine asked me if it was a good idea go and play Sunningdale Old and New and RSG at the beginning of March taking advantage of reduced green fees.
Do you think it's a good idea? Regarding courses conditions, possibility of hollow cored greens, weather?

Thank you very much for the help!
Ciao
iMak

That's good timing!! A few of us played RSG yesterday. It was in great nick. We played off the winter tees, so it played shorter than the usual yardage. The greens were really good, with the exception of the practice green :(. A couple of bunkers were GUR, but it was well worth the £80 green fee.

At the risk of sounding like Snelly, you must do lunch. The carvery was top notch.

I'd go back like a shot. I'd even stump up the full summer green fee without a second thought, it was that good.

You take a risk with the weather, but we were lucky yesterday.

Can't speak for sunningdale but I'm sure foxy or homer will be along to sing its praises.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's good timing!! A few of us played RSG yesterday. It was in great nick. We played off the winter tees, so it played shorter than the usual yardage. The greens were really good, with the exception of the practice green :(. A couple of bunkers were GUR, but it was well worth the £80 green fee.

At the risk of sounding like Snelly, you must do lunch. The carvery was top notch.

I'd go back like a shot. I'd even stump up the full summer green fee without a second thought, it was that good.

Can't speak for sunningdale but I'm sure foxy or homer will be along to sing its praises.

RSG offer online booking too, so you could theoretically leave it until quite late to book meaning you could have a rough idea of the weather forecast.

makaveli

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Thank you very much therod, I played RSG last summer and it was in great conditions, just had a certain feeling not to be very "welcomed" if you know what I mean :)

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thank you very much therod, I played RSG last summer and it was in great conditions, just had a certain feeling not to be very "welcomed" if you know what I mean :)

It's not personal, it's just their way. Maybe their mothers didn't hug them enough.

The old dear behind the bar started off that way, but I soon loosened her up:eek:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

I assume the guy I first met was the Secretary and he was fine as far as I was concerned. Like RSG before Xmas they don't make a fuss over you but just seem laid back. We did enjoy both courses and the food yesterday at RSG was top notch

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I would play Royal St Georges, as despite all the rain we have had recently, the course was in cracking condition. Nice and dry, no mud and plenty of roll top get my drives over 200 yards.:eek:

I played St Georges Hill today which is a heathland course not unlike Sunningdale. The course was very wet in places, plenty of mud and not in nearly such good condition as RSG.

Still really enjoyed the day, but RSG on a sunny day, with a bit of wind in February was just about perfect.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I assume the guy I first met was the Secretary and he was fine as far as I was concerned. Like RSG before Xmas they don't make a fuss over you but just seem laid back. We did enjoy both courses and the food yesterday at RSG was top notch
Everybody I met there said hello, good morning etc. They even gave Craig a new pair of shoes to wear when eating his lunch:thup:. Seemed friendly to me but I do bring out the best in people.:whistle:

NST

Head Pro
Visit site
I would play Royal St Georges, as despite all the rain we have had recently, the course was in cracking condition. Nice and dry, no mud and plenty of roll top get my drives over 200 yards.:eek:

I played St Georges Hill today which is a heathland course not unlike Sunningdale. The course was very wet in places, plenty of mud and not in nearly such good condition as RSG.

Still really enjoyed the day, but RSG on a sunny day, with a bit of wind in February was just about perfect.

I played St Georges Hill last Thursday (I think it had been dry for a few days before) it was in cracking condition. Just shows how much a a couple of days rain can change a heathland course.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Something I noticed at both RCP and RSG is that passing members asked you if you enjoyed your day; they seemed to have a certain pride in their course that extended to checking whether visitors enjoyed themselves.

As regards the OP, I would certainly recommend playing any of the courses mentioned at this time of year to take advantage of the reduced green fees

D

Deleted member 15344

Something I noticed at both RCP and RSG is that passing members asked you if you enjoyed your day; they seemed to have a certain pride in their course that extended to checking whether visitors enjoyed themselves.

As regards the OP, I would certainly recommend playing any of the courses mentioned at this time of year to take advantage of the reduced green fees

Certainly witnessed that at both RCP and especially at Littlestone last year

D

Deleted member 15344

Yes, fair to say they did at Littlestone as well, maybe it's a links thing.

Yeah possibly - seem very proud of their club and course and tbh don't blame them

It was all part of the expirence - it felt special

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I played St Georges Hill last Thursday (I think it had been dry for a few days before) it was in cracking condition. Just shows how much a a couple of days rain can change a heathland course.
I play SGH every February, and it has always been pretty wet. Unfortunately I don't think it drains in places as well as other heathland courses. 1st green on the blue tends to be the worse. There were a lot of heavy machinery, diggers, tractors etc out on the course, which may be tryng to sort out the problem ? Greens were not as good as ours.;)

NST

Head Pro
Visit site
I play SGH every February, and it has always been pretty wet. Unfortunately I don't think it drains in places as well as other heathland courses. 1st green on the blue tends to be the worse. There were a lot of heavy machinery, diggers, tractors etc out on the course, which may be tryng to sort out the problem ? Greens were not as good as ours.;)

Not played Blackmoor, so can't compare.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

Yep. The Captain at Royal Cinque Ports started chatting to me in the changing rooms on Monday.
He asked me if I had enjoyed my day.
I just replied "Feck you" and left it at that.
Nice bloke I guess, but I'll never know for sure as he didn't hang around long.