Opens and Independent Golfers

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have definitely noticed a couple mentioning the requirement on their Open pages. I couldn't tell you which clubs, I simply can't remember, but it stood out due to posts on this very subject. They would be clubs in Northumberland, it is where I would be looking.

I suspect most clubs were advertising their Opens earlier in the year before this was a discussion so the real test is for 2022 Opens. I would be surprised if the majority are not restricted. Are you testing the water here @NearHull for your Opens next year?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Guilty before charged I see, some clubs cant wait to undermine this scheme on the basis that club members are supposedly more honest than non club members. WALOFS

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
And rightly so, membership fees paid by members to clubs include affiliation fees paid to county organisations, this is why the opens are run at discounted rates, I would be very annoyed if there was an open I missed out on and people who were not club members were taking part.

NearHull

Visit site
It’s not my intention to resurrect the arguments for or against the decisions to limit Opens, merely to try to discover if it is widespread and how it is being communicated i.e. Is the information being shown up front, or is it only discovered when trying to book.

NearHull

Visit site
so you want to know whether you have to announce it or can just turn them away quietly, i get it
No, if we decide to limit to affiliated club members it will be clearly stated in the advertisement alongside the other limitations of Gents, Ladies, Seniors etc

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Any open I have ever entered asked what your home club is.
Seems wrong that if people pay to get an official hcp that they could be discrimated against for not being a member of a club.
Perhaps they can't afford it or family situation prevents them from playing too often.
Not right to prevent them taking part.
Plenty "cheats" are members of clubs.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s not my intention to resurrect the arguments for or against the decisions to limit Opens, merely to try to discover if it is widespread and how it is being communicated i.e. Is the information being shown up front, or is it only discovered when trying to book.
Those I saw had it front and centre. Saying that perhaps others have it at the point of booking and I simply didn't get that far. Logic to me says show it upfront so that there is no confusion, same as handicap limit, format etc

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I think it was Kilspindie and one other.

It's a funny one this. If clubs offer reduced fees to "members of other clubs" in open comps... which has been the case for years, is that so bad?

Independent golfers shouldn't be excluded, but they can't expect to get the reduced fee that members of associated clubs get, surely.......;)

There's a different perspective!!:whistle: