Open Weekend Course Reccomendations - Troon

rystaman

Visit site
Hi all,

I'm heading to the Open at Troon on the Friday and looking to squeeze in a round of golf either on Thursday evening (twilight) or during the day on Saturday. Looking at links courses that won't break the bank around £60-75. Just wanted to see if anyone here had any recommendations.

Thanks in advance!

HPIMG

Visit site
I was about to recommend western gailes I played it maybe a year ago and I swear it was £75 a round. Just looked to check current prices £245 a round :oops: im guessing they have hiked the price up for the open ?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I was about to recommend western gailes I played it maybe a year ago and I swear it was £75 a round. Just looked to check current prices £245 a round :oops: im guessing they have hiked the price up for the open ?
I doubt WG was £75 last year.

bigyin55

Visit site
Hi all,

I'm heading to the Open at Troon on the Friday and looking to squeeze in a round of golf either on Thursday evening (twilight) or during the day on Saturday. Looking at links courses that won't break the bank around £60-75. Just wanted to see if anyone here had any recommendations.

Thanks in advance!
Irvine golf club (bogside as it's known locally) probably your best bet. Very close to troon.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You could ring West Kilbride and see if they do a twilight rate. Good course with great views over to Arran.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I would imagine most of the Troon courses will be booked up.
Lochgreen is closed as it is used for car parking etc.
Best bet is to try for visitor times at Belleisle/Seafield in Ayr a few miles south of Troon.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Not even contemplating playing on our little trip up.
Train to Carlisle from Leeds through the Yorkshire Dales - over the Ribblhead viaduct, pick up the fast train to Glasgow from Carlisle, spend relaxing few hours in the City before we head out to our hotel.
We're not far from Topgolf but it's £90 for two hours - not stumping that up.
Looking forward to it, and at the moment, the weather forecast looks reasonable.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I would imagine most of the Troon courses will be booked up.
Lochgreen is closed as it is used for car parking etc.
Best bet is to try for visitor times at Belleisle/Seafield in Ayr a few miles south of Troon.
Not played them and they are meant to be nice courses but they are not links courses are they?

Loads of decent non links courses around.

evemccc

Visit site
It would of been midweek so maybe I got a midweek deal and think it was winter.

I paid north of £100 over two years ago for a midweek round in the afternoon in March

Had the course to myself, fantastic ‘June’ weather in March - glorious afternoon of quiet, solitary golf in the afternoon and then setting sun ❤️

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Isn't it common knowledge that all courses around the venue hosting The Open put their prices up around that week? This is of course because of the extra Yankee dollars available that week. I remember looking at some courses around Royal St George's in early 2020 (before it was postponed for some reason...), and each place had their Open week prices published. All of them were at least double their normal green fee.

sunshine

Visit site

£75 for 9 holes midweek winter twilight special?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I paid north of £100 over two years ago for a midweek round in the afternoon in March

Had the course to myself, fantastic ‘June’ weather in March - glorious afternoon of quiet, solitary golf in the afternoon and then setting sun ❤️
I was trying to explain that all the Links courses in the close vicinity will probably be booked up.

Seafield is part links part parkland about half a mile from the sea Bellisle more parkland.
They may also be full.
You have no chance of getting on a local links course for your budget at a weekend and slim chance on a Friday Open week.

Last edited:

rystaman

Visit site
I was trying to explain that all the Links courses in the close vicinity will probably be booked up.

Seafield is part links part parkland about half a mile from the sea Bellisle more parkland.
They may also be full.
You have no chance of getting on a local links course for your budget at a weekend and slim chance on a Friday Open week.
Tbf when I went up to St Andrews for the 150th I had no issue getting on Monifeith for a twilight tee time but granted it might be busier/less course available this time around.